The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

Appropriate for what ages?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 117) (117 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Terrie Do you think these books are appropriate for children? Specifically, 9 year olds?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

That depends.

In Texas, the Hunger Games was chosen for the Lone Star Reading List, labeling it one of the top twenty modern books for children in grades 6th-8th in the year 2008 (I think).

Yes, it is a teen book (considering nearly all of the main characters are indeed teenagers), but many adults read it too.

The only real thing to watch out for is all the death and violence. There are a few somewhat gruesome scenes, especially later on. And, of course, in the hunger games (the event book revolves around, not the title) the characters compete is a fight-to-the-death match between 24 children. However, the language is decent and the farthest the characters ever go romance-wise is kissing.

Also, does he/she watch PG-13 movies? The Hunger Games would probably receive that kind of rating, if you ask me. And besides, reading about something bad isn't the same as watching it.

Well, I hope that helped!
:)

Steve Chaput We carry the novels in our Young Adult section of the libray. The ages range from 13-18 yrs old. However, we do get a lot of adults reading the books, often to see if they can give them to younger kids in 5th or 6th grade.

I even know a couple of adults who did not like the books as they found them too violent and disturbing.

On a similar note, folks might be interested to know that while the first six Harry Potter books are classified as "Juvenile" we only carry Deathly Hallows in YA. I found it odd myself, but that was a call by the Children's Dept.

Dana No. I would not let my 9 year old read it. I did let my son read it when he was 11 though.

Desiree *Primrose* No one younger than 10 or 12. It is a very disturbing concept.

Terrie Thank you for your comments! One of my 4th grade students gave me the series as an end-of-the-year gift, and while I whipped through all three books in nothing flat, I was constantly aware of the extreme violence. I would even be hesitant to recommend these books to 5th graders, but maybe middle schoolers could handle them. I also thought it was very interesting that while there was no bad language and the sexual innuendo was mild, the gory details of torture and gruesome death were unabated. I think I'd rather there be a few more four letter words and a little less "shredded skin".

Sheri Terrie wrote: "Do you think these books are appropriate for children? Specifically, 9 year olds?"

no subject matter a little adult. I would say if child is still of the age of nightmares from scary movies probably not a good book choice for their age.

MizziQ 10+ (Mature 9 year olds...maybe?)

Natalie I read it aloud to my sister when she was nine. My brother (12) is reading Catching Fire now. Certainly the child's maturity level comes into play, but I don't see why nine-year-olds wouldn't understand the novel.

Ashley I think it all depends on how mature the Person is and the percieve things.

Verlysia Yes, because i read it last year (i was 11 that year) and i didn't feel that its disturbing, since it was so amazing. Maybe a mature kids like me would just thought about how hard it must be for Katniss to survive. But the unmature kids would think like "Peeta!! Peeta!!".

message 13: by Kerri (last edited Jul 13, 2011 09:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kerri I think 8th grade is a good time to start reading this series, 7th is pushing it. There were some scenes for me, as an adult, that were too much. But honestly I think it should be up to the parents to decide what their children read. Parents, and adults need to inform themselves before they start banning anything. Not informing themselves by listening to critics (for or against the book), but actually read the books before they make decisions. Parents have the right to protect their children, only their children. Nobody should ban/censor books for other people--just themselves.

Kerri Catherine Ashlyn Ketchum wrote: "That depends.

In Texas, the Hunger Games was chosen for the Lone Star Reading List, labeling it one of the top twenty modern books for children in grades 6th-8th in the year 2008 (I think).

Yes, ..."

Reading for me is like watching a movie, but only I'm the director. I'm interpreting the words on the page not Speilberg, Hardwicke, or Yates, and I have a pretty vivid imagination. Because I created it, the thoughts and images stay with me, the good, the bad, the beautiful, and the ugly.

Brenny S. I think it depends on the kid, my little sister is currently reading The Hunger Games and I read it last summer(I am a soon-to-be 8th grader now) We both liked the books but one of my Language Arts teachers couldn't finish it because she couldn't stand a few of the bloodier descriptions. So it really should depend on the 9yr old!!

Kendall Anne My sister is 11, and I wouldn't want her to read these books, even though I love them!!! I think it depends on the person, you definitely have to be mature to read this series.

Hayley My little sister is 12 and going into the seventh grade and she just started reading the series. I think this is a good age to read them at because she's getting to the point where she understands the violence and she's mature enough to handle it.

Ashlyn I'd have to say 12 and up. I read it about a year ago when I was in 6th grade and it was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade - Cake Whisperer I read the books first and determined that my then 13 year-old son would love them as much as I did and that he was mature enough to handle the violence. I have a twelve year old as well but don't know if he would be able to handle the violence as well as his old sibling. The books are great but I think it depends on the child. Personally I think under 10 is definitely too young.

Juliet 12+

Laila From middle school and up

Verlysia (P.S i read Flowers for Algernon when i was 7. I think i started to read that because i liked to read.)

Kerri Verlysia wrote: "(P.S i read Flowers for Algernon when i was 7. I think i started to read that because i liked to read.)"

That's cool! I know it's a book intended for adults--like I said that's cool and admirable for reading it at such a young age, and I don't want to take away from your accomplishments,but I have to ask--at 7 how much did you really understand of the book? I read The Tempest when I was 12 or so. I didn't really understand it; I read the words that's about it. Didn't get much out of it until I read it as an adult, and had a teacher explain things to me, especially the language. I had more life experience so the message and themes made more sense to me, and was kinda weirded out that I read it at such a young age.

message 24: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin I think you shouldn't start this series until 5th grade if you aren't a big reader. But if you read all the time I think 4th grade (9 yr olds) would be fine if you are more mature. I read the first two when I was in 7th grade and thought they were fine, definitely not "pushing it" as someone said in another post.

Valerie TikiPaws12 wrote: "10+ (Mature 9 year olds...maybe?)"

My thoughts as well.

message 26: by Allen (last edited Jul 14, 2011 09:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Allen ABH nowadays this book is probably appropriate for at least 4th graders at least the mature ones but mostly 6th graders and up. This doesn't contain as much violence as much as other dystopian books like divergent so its not that bad.

message 27: by Verlysia (last edited Jul 14, 2011 11:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Verlysia Kerri wrote: "Verlysia wrote: "(P.S i read Flowers for Algernon when i was 7. I think i started to read that because i liked to read.)"

That's cool! I know it's a book intended for adults--like I s..."

Hmm, i think i didnt quite understand about the interactivity of the character and the story. But it was easy to read because it was a story about a dumb 32 years old man, so his grammar wasnt perfect yet.
“My name is Charlie Gordon…I am 32 years old…I don’t no why Im dumb…or what I did rong. Maybe its because I dint try hard enuf. ”
Its funny. And it was easy to understand.

message 28: by Kerri (last edited Jul 15, 2011 07:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kerri Verlysia wrote: "Kerri wrote: "Verlysia wrote: "(P.S i read Flowers for Algernon when i was 7. I think i started to read that because i liked to read.)"

That's cool! I know it's a book intended for ad..."

Ok. That's cool. You seem like a reader, and that's a good thing at your age! So, you have the maturity and understanding.

Verlysia Kerri wrote: "Verlysia wrote: "Kerri wrote: "Verlysia wrote: "(P.S i read Flowers for Algernon when i was 7. I think i started to read that because i liked to read.)"

That's cool! I know it's a boo..."

Lol.. Thankyou, i guess u too! Well, actually when i was a kid, i didnt really like to read, but i was drawn to that book because of the cover. Thx again. (No one ever praised me before)

message 30: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy You may consider reading it with them. If they read it alone, I would wait until they are older.

message 31: by Aya (last edited Jul 15, 2011 05:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aya E. you really have to be a mature 9 year old to read this. even thoguh its not reall inappropriate its intended for an older audience. I think its really matters on the parents. So over all i would think its like 11-12+
i read it when i was 12

Caroline C. again it depends on the person if they are mature,how they are raised,why they are reading it,ect.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Probably 11+

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Maybe but some of my 13 year old friends wont read them because they think they will be scary O-o

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Hahaha i didnt read much till 3rd grade but have made up for lost time :)

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

James patterson writes SO many books. What are some good ones besides MR?

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok thanks!

MizziQ And the Daniel X series. There not AMAZING...but I really like them.

MizziQ The plot may have felt a bit flat but I like Daniel and I haven't read the 2nd one yet

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Kool thanks for the suggestions

Prettylittlearia4 I think it depends on the maturity level. For instance, if an 13 year old has the maturity level of a 8 year old, I wouldn't let them read it. But if a 9 year old had the maturity level of an 12 year old, then I would let them read it.

I liked the second one well enough, but it just wasn't as good (in my opinion) as the first one.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah that maturity level would explain why my friends wont read them XD JK!

Prettylittlearia4 LOL hahahaha

Brook I have a 9, 10, and 11 year-old, as well as a 15 and 16 year-old, and I would/have let any of them read the series. Yes, it contains mature messages, but I think the whole point of reading is to expand your horizons, teach you something, entertain, and spark a dialogue. If you talk to your children about what they're reading, there's not much that should be off limits. Besides, plenty of traditional kids' stories are full of violence that we don't bat an eyelash at. Read the books yourself, so you can have an intelligent conversation with your child, and you might be surprised at what you both discover about the books and your beliefs in general.

Prettylittlearia4 This book has many messages, including about how violent the media is going, and how we are not too far away from having this become a reality. I think that letting kids that are especially influenced by the media read this is a good thing, because we can explain how this is where our reality TV is going, and do you really want that to happen? It provides food for thought. I completely agree, it also sparks decent debates and ideas.

message 46: by Aya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aya E. Rhianna wrote: "7+, but thats just me"

seriously 7+ ?! thts a very mature 7 year old :p

message 47: by Aya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aya E. TikiPaws12 wrote: "And the Daniel X series. There not AMAZING...but I really like them."

never heard of them wats the genre?

message 48: by Aya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aya E. Leah wrote: "Maybe but some of my 13 year old friends wont read them because they think they will be scary O-o"

one of my friends thought it was scary ( she still read them tho) i personally dont find it scary at all at some it is points gruesome but not scary. obviously in a movie it wud be scary

did tht make sense?

Prettylittlearia4 I had to reread it, but yeah. It was the spelling. :P
My friends and I have read/seen much more gruesome, so it didn't faze us at all.
I have a Hunger Games T-shirt, hahaha

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah when i read the book it never crossed my mind it was scary.

« previous 1 3