What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. In the flashback, the girl lived with her mother and her older sister. The mother was very negligent and ignored her children. Girl is allergic to green peppers.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky | 1 comments I can't figure out how to work the looking for a book thread. I'm trying to find a book that I can vividly remember scenes from. I remember it was written in both present and flashback. In the flashback, the girl lived with her mother and her older sister. The mother was very negligent and ignored her children. In one part, the girl became very, very sick with the flu and had no one to take care of her. In another part, the mother cooks her a dinner for one of the first times but it's a soup that has green peppers etc. in it. The girl is allergic to green peppers and tries to hide the fact that she isn't eating the dinner. The mother catches her and it's a bad scene. Finally, the mother up and leaves for CA but does not take the girl with her. The girl is left alone in an empty apt. and is supposed to pay the rent but can't. She gets a job at an ice cream shop and makes eyes at one of the customers so he will help her move. They end up having sex in the empty apartment and she feels vaguely bad about it. She tries to move in with her older sister, but by then the sister is living with her husband and baby in an trailer and there is no room for her. What happens after that?? What is this book????

Jackie "the Librarian" | 219 comments Is this an adult book, Becky? Or a book for teens?

And, can you give us any hints as to when it might have been published?

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Becky, You might also want to edit the topic title from "Help!" to something that has a bit of description in it. It might be more likely to catch someone's eye. Good luck finding the book!

message 4: by Alexis (new)

Alexis | 9 comments I think I remember this book. She eventually goes to college and meets her husband. After many years of not speaking to her, her mother comes to visit after she has a baby. She is living in a nice house with her husband and other child, and she gets angry at her mother for being so clueless about taking care of her baby. Her mom is remarried to a nice, rich guy.
I may be confusing this with another book, but does the present have something to do with her daughter accidentally killing someone with her car? Urg, Of course I cant remember what book this is, but I'll try and figure it out and get back to you...

message 5: by Mel (new)

Mel (sea0tter12) | 38 comments Alexis, yours sounds like "What the Dead Know" by Laura Lippman, but I don't think it's the same book as the original poster. I could be wrong; I didn't finish it, but I don't remember the stuff about the green peppers, etc.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37833 comments Mod
Sadly Becky hasn't been active for 2 years.