Sci-Fi Romance discussion

Talk Genre > Survival Story Recommendations?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Canoe (new)

Canoe | 41 comments Anyone have a recommendation for wilderness survival stories? I'm thinking along the lines of Two Alone Surviving Passion, and Freedom's Landing or similar to the beginning of Shards of Honour.

message 2: by Jacqueline J (new)

Jacqueline J | 154 comments Canoeu wrote: "Anyone have a recommendation for wilderness survival stories? I'm thinking along the lines of Two Alone Surviving Passion, and Freedom's Landing or similar..."

Were you just wanting SFR survival reads or any romance genre?

message 3: by Canoe (new)

Canoe | 41 comments Jacqueline wrote: Were you just wanting SFR survival reads or any romance genre?

Any genre, really. :)

message 4: by Jadetyger (new)

Jadetyger Sevea | 56 comments Well, there is The Hunger Games . Sort of. If you're all right with the dystopian setting.

message 5: by Jacqueline J (last edited Jul 12, 2011 08:21PM) (new)

Jacqueline J | 154 comments Here are a few of my favorites. I love stranded/survival stories

To Love a Man 4 stars This one has a very mean hero but I was in the mood for that at the time

Forever 5 stars an old favorite She pretends to be a nun

Out of Control5 stars Kenny is so hot

Under the Wire5 stars older woman younger man reuniting lovers

Monday's Child : Bestselling Author 5 stars attacked by modern day pirates and they end up on a desert island

Starkissed 5 stars alien/human SFR stranded on a deserted planet

Up Close and Dangerous 5 stars plane crash

message 6: by Canoe (new)

Canoe | 41 comments Hunger Games is one of my top favorites! :)

Thanks Jacqueline, I'm checking all of those out.

message 7: by Jan (new)

Jan (janoda) | 226 comments I liked Hunger Games as well, and the sequel, but I found the last book disappointing, so I'm never sure if I should recommend it.

I really liked Into the Wild, not romance at all though.

And I've always been a sucker for prehistorical fiction, I recommend the first two of the Earth's Children's books (The Clan of the Cave Bear The Valley of Horses), but it goes downhill from there. I also recommend the first two of the First Americans books (Beyond the Sea of Ice Corridor of Storms). The others are okay as well, but they got a little too mystical to my liking. They all have more or less romantic storylines though.

There's also the excellent Evolution by Stephen Baxter, which follows different phases in human evolution (in the past as well as in the future). Not very romancy but very much survival, both of the individual as on the genome level. I love this book.

More into the SFR area there's the wolfwalker books, where the first two are very much crossing through a very hostile natural environment.

I know these are probably not exactly what you asked for, but these are the books I think of when hearing survival and wilderness :p

message 8: by Canoe (new)

Canoe | 41 comments Thanks Jan! All great suggestions. Romance is a plus, but not necessary. :)

message 9: by Jan (new)

Jan (janoda) | 226 comments I forgot to add a link to the wolfwalker books! Wolfwalker and Shadow Leader

message 10: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 156 comments Night Magic by Robards is old school and fun. The cat in it is so funny.

message 11: by Celestine (new)

Celestine | 286 comments All of these are survival stories with strong science fiction romance elements.

Eden (sensual romance, #1) by Louise Wise Earth woman crash lands on a planet that isn't quite as deserted as she thought.

Fortune's Hero (Soldiers of Fortune, #1) by Jenna Bennett Escape from prison then survival in the planet's interior.

Beloved Enemy (Gaian Series #2) by Janet Miller Two starfighter pilots crash on a jungle planet.

Neverwylde (The Rim of the World, #1) by Linda Mooney Fighting enemy ships get pulled through a wormhole and only a few will survive on a hostile planet.

The Final Pleasure by Linda Mooney A little different. Condemned man and pleasure prisoner have to escape from a doomed prison planet.

The Lion's Woman by Kaitlyn O'Connor Captured Earth woman and her captor have to run away to the wilds of his planet to avoid persecution.

UnderSilver by Linda Mooney How about underwater survival on an alien planet?

message 12: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments I think Nightfall is a post-apocalyptic. It's also one of those "strangers-thrown-together" stories, where a group of suspicious individuals must trust each other to survive. I didn't really take to it, but a lot of people liked it.

message 13: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Scott | 497 comments Mod
Am I allowed to say I just issued Star Cruise: Marooned in late June? If not, someone please delete my comment!

message 14: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments That's all right if it's a survival story, Veronica. ;)

message 15: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenniferl915) | 320 comments Celestine, Thank you for the recommendations. - Eden is one of my favs. I have Neverwilde in my Kindle U library, but haven't read it yet. And eventually I'll get to Under Silver. I have also been on a Katherine O'Connor kick in KU having read 3 or 4 of her books in the last few weeks, but Lion's Woman is not available in KU :-(
Canoeu, I haven't read the books you have mentioned, but here are some that come to mind:
Dragons of the Dawn by O'Connor is a wilderness survival story (in a different world and time with a dragon shifter = fun read!)
Ruth's Bonded is new release and a good story - Earth woman escapes slavery with an alien she cannot understand.
The Curse Giver - its not SFR, but fantasy. Its a survival/travel through the wilderness story and a fantastic story.