The Sword and Laser discussion

A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)
This topic is about A Dance with Dragons
2011 Reads > ADWD: ebook or Audiobook?

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Geoff Hankerson | 9 comments I can't decide. The old reader is back for Audible and he is fantastic (Roy Dotrice), but I kind of wnat to read it too. I know a real first world problem.

Geoff Hankerson | 9 comments Kindle it is. Might do audiobook too.

Phillip D | 6 comments This will actually be my first time reading the actual book. While I own them all, I opted to go the Audible route. This time I decided to read the book first and I'm glad I did. It looks great.

I was actually shocked when I got the email from Audible that it was available. I assumed there would be some kind of delay. And Roy Dotrice is back too!
I'm going to read the book, then take a second pass through the Audible book. I'm really looking forward to his performance. He was my face on A Song of Ice and Fire.

message 4: by Alan (last edited Jul 12, 2011 06:21PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alan (professoralan) audio! Just like all the prior books in the series.

terpkristin | 4132 comments Yes. :) I got 3 editions.

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments As for the version, I plan to listen to the Audiobook as I just loved Roy Dotrice and am happy to see him back for this version. Will likely read the text version (paper) later. Atm though I'm still trying to refresh my memory for all the plot lines before I start.

Andrew (frontline) | 129 comments I love the reader's voice and when he was reading the prologue, I loved it. However, I developed clear voices for the prior characters (I read the paperbacks before) and even though the reader does great with old men, it's weird hearing say, Dany, in a socttish accent. Especially now that I have distinct faces as well thanks to the show.

message 8: by Don (last edited Jul 13, 2011 12:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Don | 80 comments I read the series first. I listened to the audiobooks over the last few months to reread in preparation DwD. I decided I would have to get the audiobook or forever wish I had, just to hear Roy Dorice's performance. I am not disappointed!

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments Andrew wrote: "As for the version, I plan to listen to the Audiobook as I just loved Roy Dotrice and am happy to see him back for this version. Will likely read the text version (paper) later. Atm though I'm stil..."

I don't believe he is scottish, but I hear what you are saying. I was so sad when the last book was read by a different person.

Like @Don I read the first three books in paperback before listening to the audiobooks. The timing was right that I listened to the last book only as audiobook as it came out not long after I'd listened to the other as audiobooks.

Anyway still refreshing my memory as its been years since reading this series.

Chilimac | 28 comments I'll have to try and audio book one of these days. In this case I got it for my Nook. Normally I'd by the book but the book buying budget is tight right now.

Peter | 142 comments ebook all the way, I've listened to some books on audio, particularly the Ender series and Scott Sigler's podcasts but I would rather read them.

message 12: by Dan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dan (daniel-san) | 101 comments The maps are terrible in audio...

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) | 79 comments Andrew wrote: "I love the reader's voice and when he was reading the prologue, I loved it. However, I developed clear voices for the prior characters (I read the paperbacks before) and even though the reader does..."

Yeah I love Roy Dotrice but I'm finding it hard to deal with this new accent he's giving Dany. He didn't do that accent in the first three books. It just sounds a little provincial, whereas I always imagined her sounding more regal.

Minor detail though...Dotrice is still the best Narrator I've ever had the pleasure of listening to.

message 14: by Don (new) - rated it 3 stars

Don | 80 comments I agree Keith, I liked his previous voice for her, and for Melesandre. Both seem weaker. Still, I love all the myriad accents. And who could get more emotion out of Hodor!

Michael Minutillo (wolfbyte) Dan wrote: "The maps are terrible in audio..."

LOL

terpkristin | 4132 comments I was glad I wasn't the only one to notice the change in Dotrice's voice for Dany. Haven't heard Melisandre yet (been reading in print in addition to listening to audio).

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments terpkristin wrote: "I was glad I wasn't the only one to notice the change in Dotrice's voice for Dany."

I'll third that. Still adjusting to it. Just happy to be listening after reading all those chapter summarys @ towerofthehand.com to refresh my memory of things.

Andrew (frontline) | 129 comments terpkristin wrote: "I was glad I wasn't the only one to notice the change in Dotrice's voice for Dany. Haven't heard Melisandre yet (been reading in print in addition to listening to audio)."

So the when I was reading COK, I think I somehow really misinterpretted Melisandre and imagined her as some sort of Pirates of the Carribean witch doctor rather than the pale, regal white woman who seems to be predominant. I need to go back and read it again. The accent that Dotrice does however seems to fit my original witch doctor idea so now I am pulled back in that direction.

Also, I don't remember who said it, but the sex scenes are a little bit awkward. It's like having your grandfather talk about his exploits... :/

message 19: by Andrew (last edited Jul 19, 2011 12:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andrew (frontline) | 129 comments Well, It looks like my witch doctor Milesandre's days are numbered. HBO has announced the casting for her and Stannis

message 20: by J (new)

J (mxyzptlk) | 20 comments Dan wrote: "The maps are terrible in audio..."

This.

message 21: by aldenoneil (last edited Jul 26, 2011 11:19AM) (new) - added it

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Andrew wrote: "Well, It looks like my witch doctor Milesandre's days are numbered. HBO has announced the casting for her and Stannis"

The guy playing Stannis was great as Thomas Jefferson in John Adams. My fave character, and very different from Stannis. Very much looking forward to his portrayal. The Stannis I pictured in my head looks more like the guy they've pegged for Davos, tho.

message 22: by J (new)

J (mxyzptlk) | 20 comments As for Dotrice's accents this time around:

Books 1-3: Dany sounds like an extremely mature teenager, Melisandre sounds like a torch singer who sucks down Lucky Strikes for breakfast.

Book 5: Dany sounds like Ygritte at age 70, and Melisandre lost all the dark-roasted goodness of her voice.

Just like every other audiobook listener, I've been trying to puzzle this, and so far have come to the following conclusions:

Point the First: I think we're dealing with some rushed production here. Don't forget that the book was being typeset before GRRM had turned in the final two chapters, which raises the possibility that Dotrice had to knock this out in about a week (which makes me appreciate Dotrice's talents that much more). If you listen closely, there is the occasional odd pause, as if Dotrice is turning the page or something. Those pauses are almost as long as a chapter change; if they had more time, those little pauses would have conceivably been edited out.

Point the Second: Melisandre actually sounds like she has a touch of a French accent this time around. That works with both the spelling of her name, and maybe with how the actor who was cast to play her role is voicing the character (Carice van Houten's Dutch, so maybe she can pull off a convincing French accent). I'm okay with that, but the change was a bit jarring.

Point the Third: Melisandre's vocal change was far less jarring than Dany's, and I just can't figure that one. Has there been any official explanation? It's most bizarre when Dany says her stock line "I may be just a young girl innocent of war"; wouldn't Dotrice recognize that a young girl who is acknowledging she is a young girl should at least sound more like Sean Connery's daughter instead of Sean Connery's grandmother?

I find it hard to believe that Dotrice just forgot how he voiced Dany's character in the past, or that he or the producer didn't bother reviewing his past voices (the others are pretty consistent). It feels too much like a conscious choice. I mean, even Dolorous Ed sounds the same, and he's a much more minor character. My only guess is that the change is meant to reflect how much Dany has aged internally and emotionally after all she's been through, but if that was the goal, I think it would have sounded better in Dotrice's own voice than Billy Connolly in drag.

But the Audible reviews claiming Dotrice's range goes from old Scottish person to old Irish person fall flat. There's a lot more variety than that, and anyone who is from there or has lived over there will pick up on the wide variety of regional British Isle accents he's bringing in, as well as some of the other accents -- like Melisandre's new-found French accent, or Queen Selyse, or Petyr Baelish, or Varys, or Wun Wun.

Point the Fourth (and not as consequential): Is it just me, or does Dotrice just sound older this time around? Half-way through the audiobook of ADWD, he sounds like he did before, but at the beginning, his voice sounded thinner and more papery, kind of like how John Huston and Richard Harris sounded near the ends of their lives. (This may be related to the rushed job -- see Point the First).

Speaking of accents -- and this may get spoilery for anyone who hasn't gotten to Storm of Swords, but then you wouldn't be reading this thread -- did anyone else pick up on an interesting tic Dotrice gave Jaime?

Both Jaime and Tyrion have very similar accents, but when we're in Jaime's interior monologue -- when we're hearing his thoughts -- Jaime thinks in Tyrion's voice. However, when Jaime speaks out-loud to others, his voice is lower and more gruff. That seems like a real conscious choice on the part of Dotrice, and it nicely anticipates Jaime's attitude adjustment in favor of his little-r brother after returning to King's Landing. He may have been born with Cersei, but Tyrion is in his head.

message 23: by J (last edited Jul 26, 2011 12:42PM) (new)

J (mxyzptlk) | 20 comments (view spoiler)

The Braavosi Lord Tycho sounds a lot more like Syrio Forel as played by Miltos Yeromelou on the TV series -- Mediterranean. Syrio is also Braavosi, but Dotrice didn't give Syrio that Latinate accent in AGOT; that suggests maybe he's altering some of the accents to be in line with where the TV series has been or is going.

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments @J

I would definitely be interested in hearing how quickly this production was done. There are more than a few odd cut points in this production where I can hear things being spliced with levels even being slightly different. I even recall one word being clearly inserted at one point which sounded a little poor. I would have thought you would just redo the section, choosing a more natural break.

I also tend to agree that the voice changes must have been done with deliberateness. Like you I just can't see them not reviewing all the prior voices. From all I know of audiobook production this is fairly standard practise. I believe some readers will even reference between sessions to make sure they are hitting it right.

message 25: by Don (new) - rated it 3 stars

Don | 80 comments I really didn't expect the audiobook to be released on the same day as the other formats. It was quite an achievement.

I have grown to accept Melisandre's voice but Dany's always throws me out of the story. She is not that old!

J's thoughtful post makes me wish to hear an interview with Roy Dotrice. Wouldn't that be a coup for Sword & Laser?!

message 26: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick P. | 53 comments Roy Dotrice did a fine job, overall, but I must agree that I hated the horrible voice he used for Dany. Instead of sounding like a young woman, he made her sound like an elderly leprechaun. Asha's voice wasn't much better.

I have to respect Dotrice's talent. He made all the Lannisters sound similar, which makes sense as any aristocrat from Lannisport should share the same accent.

My other major voice issue is not Dotrice's fault. After watching the HBO show, I now expect Tyrion to sound like Peter Dinklage!

message 27: by Ray (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ray | 35 comments Audiobooks are great for when you can't just sit down and read. Fortunately I can do my job and listen simultaeneously. I'm also a very slow reader so audiobooks have greatly increased my rate of book consumption. I was very excited when I checked Audible.com on the morning of the 12th and saw it was available.

I agree that the maps are terrible in audio but maps exist on the interwebs so that's hardly a selling point for anyone viewing these forums.

As to the various voice changes: while I won't say I liked them, they didn't really bother me and they were offset by some changes I did like. Dotrice now pronounces the names: Melisandre, Catelyn, and (most appreciated) Brienne the way I heard them in my head when I first read the books in print!

message 28: by aldenoneil (last edited Jul 28, 2011 09:26AM) (new) - added it

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Ray wrote: "I agree that the maps are terrible in audio but maps exist on the interwebs so that's hardly a selling point for anyone viewing these forums."

Thanks for that - handy for the Kindle reader, as well. The truth is, though, I hardly ever feel the need to check a map anymore. In my younger days, I'd flip back and forth to the map and/or index every few pages, it seems, but now I just read, and am better for it. I'm erasing my OCD with age, by determination.

Roger Legg | 10 comments I am doing both audio and Kindle versions of the series. These books are so long and dense for me that I need to have both just to keep up! I often will read a couple chapters at night then re-listen to a portion of it during my drive time the next day and maybe get a little ahead.

Part of me wishes I was 20 years old again and had free time to just engross myself in the books. Being in my 40's and having a family its hard to dedicate real time to the series.

Hopefully I will be caught up before I die!

:)

Brian | 67 comments I was VERY happy that Dotrice did this book. I missed his voice in Feast of Crows. I hated the voice of Dany in Dance with Dragons.

Philip (heard03) | 383 comments Rick wrote: "Roy Dotrice did a fine job, overall, but I must agree that I hated the horrible voice he used for Dany. Instead of sounding like a young woman, he made her sound like an elderly leprechaun...."

Her voice definitely pulled me out of the story on numerous occasions. I sure would like to hear her say something about "green clovers, ...and blue diamonds!"

DrFlimFlam | 48 comments Dotrice got me into audiobook fiction. He convinced me that it was worth listening to, whereas before I only ever listened to non-fiction (like Game Change).

But I'd take a book over a voice every time.

Jared (jared_king) | 51 comments Dolorous Ed and reznak mo reznak have the best accents IMO. A pleasure to listen to. "Snow! Snow! Snow!" was a bit jarring.

message 34: by Neil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Neil (rucknrun) For some reason I could not read these books the first time through. I love listening to them. I agree with the comments above Danny's voice is horrible.

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments I went audio books for the first 3 books (driving to and from work entertainement) while I was reading other stuff. But then I got impatient and finished off the last two books by kindle.

Anyone care to compare Hodor's voice in the audiobooks to the tv shows? - I didn't think they translated Hodor's character well for TV.

Also with Season 2 - Tyrion was a lot more badass in the books as "the hand." A master player of the Game of Thrones. They just haven't caught that yet on TV.

message 36: by Don (new) - rated it 3 stars

Don | 80 comments No one can top Dotrice as Hodor!

message 37: by Cnaeus (new)

Cnaeus | 1 comments I must say I was not impressed by Dotrice's performance at ADWD. In fact, I was quite taken aback by Deny's and Melissandre's countryside grandma voice, and the fact that every other character had this 70 yr old peasant accent did't helped much either. Even though from time to time some character changes the gandma voice to the peasant worker accent for a refreshment, it just didn't made me like Dotrice's voicing for this one. Very poor quality, overall, I have to say. And do not forget that we are talking about a $50 product.

Philip (heard03) | 383 comments Don wrote: "No one can top Dotrice as Hodor!"

This is so true, Dotrice gives a lot of depth and personality in his portrayal of Hodor. His ability to say "hodor" in so many different ways with different inflections is amazing and dead on. I wish I could say the same about the actor on HBO, who seems to just always say "hoder" in a very offhand manner. In the audiobook, Hodor is one of my favorites, in the HBO series he's a forgettable background character and a mild curiosity.

I am re-reading the audiobooks and currently on ASOS(book 3). Next I'll be listening to the more recent Audible production of AFFC by Dotrice and hope it makes it much more enjoyable.

@Cnaeus- It seems to be late for you, but through Audible ADWD can be had for $34.30, or less than $19.00 with the free credit one gets for signing up for the first time. This is the code for Sword And Laser- audiblepodcast.com/sword.

William Bylaska Awesome to read other people like Dotrice so much. I am listening to A Feast for Crows and its a little weird after having him read the first three books. Also John Lee sounds like he is calling "Little Finger" Peter, instead of Petyr.

message 40: by Joel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joel (joelevard) William wrote: "Awesome to read other people like Dotrice so much. I am listening to A Feast for Crows and its a little weird after having him read the first three books. Also John Lee sounds like he is calling "L..."

just FYI, book 4 has since been re-released with dotrice as the reader. you can find it on audible.com. you might even be able to get them to let you exchange it.

William Bylaska Joel wrote: "William wrote: "Awesome to read other people like Dotrice so much. I am listening to A Feast for Crows and its a little weird after having him read the first three books. Also John Lee sounds like ..."
Yeap, I got the Dotrice copy! Thanks for the tip though.