The Catcher in the Rye discussion

his english teacher

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by abhay (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:12AM) (new)

abhay singh | 1 comments i think he was paedophile

message 2: by kranti (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:12AM) (new)

kranti | 2 comments Mod
hehhe.. must be so!

message 3: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin | 1 comments I disagree. I think he certainly may be gay, but I think he is more concerned about Holden's emotinoal state and is reaching out to him to offer solace and comfort, like a parent might. I never read the stroking of the hair as a pedophile action. Why is it that showing physical affection towards a kid has not become so suspect?

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue (Suezeebee) | 3 comments I agree with Benjamin. Holden's English teacher, sensing and empathizing Holden's struggle between childhood and adolescence--which everyone goes through at some point or another--was reaching out to him in a fatherly way. Think, Holden's father is somewhat of a "big shot" as Holden would say and, judging by Holden's desperateness for attention, probably ignored Holden most of his life.

Another example is Boo Radley's tenderness and interest in Jem, Scout, and Dill in To Kill A Mockingbird. It's sad that an adult can't be friends with a child without festering suspicions of homosexuality or pedophilia (misspelled probably)--but I guess in today's society we can never be too safe.

message 5: by JD (new)

JD Brazil (jd_brazil) | 1 comments A pedophile does what a pedophile does. What consistancy would that scene have with the rest of the book if Holden had just misinterpreted his actions? I don't think that there is anything to suggest that the teacher was chronic perv, but for that one moment, he clearly wanted him some boy love.

Antje གརས པཅ Parker | 2 comments I agree with Benjamin and Sue, Holden's teacher was just showing fatherly affection.

I read this book in my english class this year and we talked about this scene specifically coming to the conclusion that the teacher was simply worried about Holden and felt fatherly affection towards him but I don't think his real father ever did that, he was too busy with work, so Holden misinterpreted the action and over reacted