The American Civil War discussion

Battles, People & Key Events > Civil War Medicine

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 160 comments I went to the museum in Frederick, MD. I think the name is Civil War Museum of Medicine.

It was pretty interesting.

Certainly more informative that the Barbara Frickey house. The docent didn't know the difference between a Hoosier and a Buckeye. She called some furniture, clearly marked Hoosier, as being from Ohio. That threw much of everything else she said out the window for me. But it was a nice house.

message 2: by Cathylogan (new)

Cathylogan | 4 comments Jimsgoodreads wrote: "For those of you interested in Civil War medicine, I kindly invite you to read my feature article in the current issue of "Dartmouth Medicine" magazine.

It's entitled "Years of Change & Sufferi..."

Informative article. Besides mercury, what else was in Blue Mass? Thanks, Cathy

message 3: by Cathylogan (new)

Cathylogan | 4 comments Thanks Jim. I'm working on a historical novel about campfollowers & nurses, wanted to be accurate. More later, thanks again , Cathy

message 4: by Lia (new)

Lia | 96 comments The sister house/CW medicine museum to the one in Fredericksburg is the Prye House in Sharpsburg. Little Mac's headquarters.

message 5: by Manray9 (new)

Manray9 | 441 comments Jan C wrote: "I went to the museum in Frederick, MD. I think the name is Civil War Museum of Medicine.

Certainly more informative that the Barbara Frickey house. The docent didn't k..."

Ah, yes...""Shoot, if you must, this old gray head,
But spare your country's flag," she said."

I'm a native Marylander and we learned Whittier's poem in school.

message 6: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 160 comments Manray9 wrote: "Jan C wrote: "I went to the museum in Frederick, MD. I think the name is Civil War Museum of Medicine.

Certainly more informative that the Barbara Frickey house. The d..."

My father was from Baltimore originally and I lived there briefly while going to college elsewhere. My brother lived in Silver Spring-Wheaton for a number of years. So we'd be pretty touristy when I would come to visit.

message 7: by Belle (new)

Belle Blackburn | 15 comments Here's a four minute video about it.
http://www.civilwar.org/education/in4/

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Bierle (gazette665) | 111 comments Belle wrote: "Here's a four minute video about it.
http://www.civilwar.org/education/in4/"

Thanks for posting the link for the video. I knew about CWT's "4 minute" histories, but I hadn't seen the CW medicine one. I'll watch it later this week when I have time. Thanks for sharing.

message 9: by Belle (new)

Belle Blackburn | 15 comments Civil War medicine is definitely my thing. Don't know everything but feel free to ask if you need anything.

message 10: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 160 comments Belle wrote: "Here's a four minute video about it.
http://www.civilwar.org/education/in4/"

Thanks for the link. That was very interesting. I hadn't known about these 4-minute talks.

message 11: by Lia (new)

Lia | 96 comments Oops I misspelled it! The Pry House:

http://www.nps.gov/anti/planyourvisit...

message 12: by Manray9 (new)

Manray9 | 441 comments Belle wrote: "Civil War medicine is definitely my thing. Don't know everything but feel free to ask if you need anything."

Have you read?

Gangrene and Glory Medical Care during the American Civil War by Frank R. Freemon Gangrene and Glory: Medical Care during the American Civil War by Frank Freemon

message 13: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Lincoln | 6 comments This is great--my great great grandfather (and subject of my novel) was a doctor during the Civil War period. Wish I'd seen this a few years ago. Thanks.

message 14: by Belle (new)

Belle Blackburn | 15 comments Manray9, no, I haven't, but thanks for telling me about it.

message 15: by Belle (new)

Belle Blackburn | 15 comments If you are interested in doctors' thought process at the time Doctoring the South is really helpful. It is taken from their daybooks. Definitely a different science.

message 16: by Sarah (last edited Sep 15, 2014 12:02PM) (new)

Sarah Bierle (gazette665) | 111 comments Civil War Medicine

Doctors in Gray: The Confederate Medical Service

Bleeding Blue and Gray: Civil War Surgery and the Evolution of American Medicine

I found these books very helpful when I first started studying CW medicine.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one interested in this topic.

The surgeons tend to get bad characteristics in the "overview" history books today, but I've been humbled to learn how hard most of them work and how they really wished there was more they could do for the suffering wounded.

message 17: by Robert (new)

Robert Walton | 15 comments "I've been humbled to learn how hard most of them work and how they really wished there was more they could do for the suffering wounded."

Sarah, yours is a perceptive thought and I completely agree with you. Clara Barton is one of the narrators in my novel and my research on her revealed care-givers' immense, sobering determination to mitigate suffering. It left me, too, with the unoriginal conviction that the scale of the suffering was unprecedented. No one knows what surprises war may release.