Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Meaning

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suefly (last edited Jul 12, 2011 10:56AM) (new)

Suefly | 620 comments A few days ago was the 2 month mark of losing my mother. I have just begun to grieve and I found a quote by C.S. Lewis that eloquently sums up my current state of mind.

'With my mother’s death all settled happiness, all that was tranquil and reliable, disappeared from my life. There was to be much fun, many pleasures, many stabs of Joy; but no more of the old security. It was sea and islands now; the great continent had sunk like Atlantis'

'Stop All The Clocks' is also very dear to me, and I think of my mom when I read it.

My question is, is there a passage, poem, etc...that sums up an important time in your life?

message 2: by Maxine (new)

Maxine | 47 comments When my husband of thirty years died last year, there wasn't one single thing that helped, but listening to music and reading fantasy literature made it easier to get through each day. I knew that the pain was letting up when I found myself reading other books and listening to the CBQ instead of The Ramones.

message 3: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments I find myself favoring darker music as well as more morbid fiction. I hope it'll pass, but...

message 4: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24099 comments Mod
Suefly, I'm sorry you lost your mother. That C.S. Lewis quote is a good one. I'd have to think about meaningful passages. I'm sure there are some and I've written them down somewhere.

message 5: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Sue, I lost my mom about two months ago as well. I had just about memorized "Death Be Not Proud" by John Donne.