Hard SF discussion

Tech-Heaven (2011 July) > BotM: "Tech-Heaven" by Linda Nagata

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tomislav (new)

Tomislav | 51 comments I noticed the total number of voters for all books in this month's poll were somewhat lower than usual. Are you reading or planning to read this book? Did you have any difficulty obtaining it?

To answer my own question, I am re-reading a copy that was already on my shelf.

message 2: by David (new)

David (davidbrandt) | 105 comments I have an ebook, but haven't started yet.

message 3: by Lorelei (new)

Lorelei (elaynara) | 9 comments Have only managed to get half way through this one. Far too much melodrama - not enough sf. And very unlikable characters.

1 star

message 4: by David (new)

David (davidbrandt) | 105 comments I'm not sure I'd use the word "melodrama", but I sort of had that reaction. I found the first chapter (Katie age 64) compelling. Chapter two (Tom's "death", family controversy, the idea of cryogenics) had a lot going in it. But then there's the bulk of the book following Katie's life from 34 to 64 [and Earth's issues]. I came to feel putting chapter one upfront / out of order was a come-on. As much as chapter two had going for it, the author and/or publisher knew it wouldn't hold the audience through 30 years of Katie's life as well as that one out-of-sequence chapter one would. The intervening chapters dampened the enthusiasm I had during the first 2 chapters. So, when the book picked up later on I was not as receptive as I might have been.

Actually, during those 30 years we're also seeing the social divisions and crises resulting from population, exhausting Earth's resources, etc. Although that's an important theme / cautionary purpose of SF, this part didn't manage to engage me enough - those 30 years felt stretched pout.

message 5: by Tomislav (new)

Tomislav | 51 comments This was a re-read for me, and I was reminded again of the strange characters. Katie herself is inconsistent, switching unpredictably between hard-nosed and victimized. And I'm especially confused by the character Roxanne; I have no idea what makes that one tick. It is as if Nagata started from the closing drama she wanted to have, which is in fact thrilling and engaging, and then worked backwards through unlikely events to bring that ending about.

But I was interested in the unrealistic and wacky paths that society moves through in the years after Katie decides to have her husband cryonically frozen. The ethical arguments that Nagata uses do carry some surprising consequences, and that's what made this an interesting read for me.

message 6: by Lorelei (last edited Jul 27, 2011 07:52PM) (new)

Lorelei (elaynara) | 9 comments You know what, I think that's what it is David. I thought that first chapter was fabulous and then another book came after it. She raised my expectations and then went on a whacky path that really didn't interest me. And there was not enough depth of explanation to the changes in society for any of it to feel realistic in terms of an examination of a possible future.

Ultimately it's always about the characters for me. Sadly, if I don't care for the characters I can't stay motivated to finish the novel.