Angels and Fallen Angels discussion

Author's Corner > Q&A with Rebecca Lim author of MERCY

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 432 comments Mod
Hi Everyone,

You can ask Rebecca Lim, author of Mercy, questions here.
Mercy (Mercy, #1) by Rebecca Lim

message 2: by S (new)

S Rebecca,

I am about halfway through Mercy and am a convert. I confess I will probably be up late tonight to finish it!

I have quite a few questions I could ask, but will try to keep this respectful!

First, how did you decide the point of view/narrator for Mercy? Did you try it different ways?

Did you envision a series from the beginning?

And lastly, as an author that has found success, what would your advice be to part-time authors that work during the day and write at night (or whenever you can find the time)?

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to reach out to you through this forum! And thank you for sharing Mercy's story.

Stacey

message 3: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 432 comments Mod
Stacey wrote: "Rebecca,

I am about halfway through Mercy and am a convert. I confess I will probably be up late tonight to finish it!

I have quite a few questions I could ask, but will try to keep this respectf..."

Stacey,

I did email Rebecca and tell her about your post. I'm sure she'll get to answering your post soon.

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebecca_lim) | 4 comments Hi Stacey and Colleen

How are you? And thanks for your interest in "Mercy", it's always fantastic to get wonderful feedback like yours.

Thanks so much for your questions - here are my answers (set out below each one):

1. First, how did you decide the point of view/narrator for Mercy? Did you try it different ways?

The way Mercy's voice sounds in Chapter 1 literally wrote itself, it just kind of flowed. And not everyone is loving the first person present tense POV i have going on, but it kind of fits with what has happened to her - she's amnesiac, she's damaged, she's very wary and I wanted people to walk in her shoes a little. So impatient readers won't like the slow build in the beginning, but people who like being challenged and engaged generally get what I'm trying to do. It keeps things interesting (I think anyway) being inside Mercy's head a little.

2. Did you envision a series from the beginning?

I actually had 7 storylines planned and had to smoosh them down a little to fit into a 4 book arc. But I wanted "Mercy" to be about her and her predicament, "Exile" develops the idea of who is doing this to her, "Muse" tells you why she fell and "Fury" is hopefully something else altogether. All 4 books are meant to be structured differently and BE different things, so if people are expecting the same format all the way through, they are going to be disappointed (as one reader has already let me know, fairly forcefully). I like to genre-mash with my reading and my writing, so you will get a different experience with each novel in the "Mercy" series

3. And lastly, as an author that has found success, what would your advice be to part-time authors that work during the day and write at night (or whenever you can find the time)?

I admire people who can do that, because I did that for many years and it took so much energy that I ended up taking time off work to plow more time into writing. You need to keep at it. If you hone your craft enough and can swallow rejection (even though it sucks) and work hard, it really can come to pass.

All the best with your own work!!! Best wishes from Oz :)

message 5: by S (new)

S Thank you so much for responding, Rebecca!

I have to admit that I was initially frustrated with the POV, but you're right, it was the only choice you could have made to communicate her confusion and desperation. Once I got about 10 pages in I was hooked. Exile arrives tomorrow, can't wait to get started on it.

If you have time, I would love to know who you entrusted to read your first draft of Mercy. I am plowing through to completion of my first book and handing it off is the first barrier I have to break. For some reason, rejection by agents and publishing houses doesn't have to same sting as rejection of my work from someone I love!

I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to respond. I will be spreading the gospel of Mercy here in Detroit!

Stacey

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebecca_lim) | 4 comments Hi Stacey, thank you so much for reading "Mercy" in the first place! It's so exciting that somebody in Detroit is even holding it in their hands.

I think my poor husband had the first read of it outside the publisher that I first sent it to. Handing off a book is the hardest part because you've invested so much of your time and care in it and you want people to "get" it as much as you do. But you just have to do it - it's really important getting feedback, even if it's a little painful to hear. Every little bit of light you can shed on your own writing style and work is valuable. An author can get too close to their own stuff to know if it's good or not.

Let me know what you think about "Exile"? Would love to hear back. Take care and all best wishes from Oz :)

message 7: by S (new)

S Will let you know when I read Exile!

message 8: by Carole (new)

Carole (4liverpool) Hi Rebecca
I just wanted to say I really loved Mercy and Exile. I am so looking forward to Muse and Fury. You have a really great writing style and I find myself really getting involved with the characters. I even cried in Exile. You know a book is good when you feel disappointed when it's finished. It's hard to explain, it's like you don't know what to do with yourself. I also had a question, what is the location of mercy, I know exile was in australia, all though I thought at first it took place in Ireland.

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebecca_lim) | 4 comments Hi Carole, thanks so much for your message, it was lovely to receive it. You find out the location of the first book by the fourth book, but I'll have to leave it at that so that I don't give too much away. There's a bit more globetrotting to come. Hope you stick around for the rest of the series! Wishing you all the very best from Australia :)