High School Counseling, coun525 discussion

Penelope

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (new)

Theresa G | 26 comments How might a counselor who discovers a student has an eating disorder ask the student to come into counseling?

message 2: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Boese | 20 comments This issue is difficult to approach but it is a current issue in our society. I think I would begin by discussing self concept and self esteem with the individual, possible invite them to join a group that deals with this subject. If I am sure tue eating disorder is a problem with the student I would approach it directly and see how the student reacts. Outside sources will probably need to be contacted so the appropriate help is offered to the student. The parents are probably going to need someone to talk with about this, again I would recommend an outside resource.

message 3: by Karla (new)

Karla Cummings | 23 comments Invite them to talk and once you get to know the students let them know that people are concerned about her. Information on the health effects would also be important to share but I think building a relationship with her would be number one.

message 4: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (ttemplin) | 27 comments Eating disorders present a very real health risk. I would talk to Penelope as soon as possible and have outside resources available. I request permission to talk to her parents.