The Sword and Laser discussion

A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)
This topic is about A Dance with Dragons
2011 Reads > ADWD: The Ranger - spoilers

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brad Theado | 217 comments Is everyone else assuming that the undead ranger is Jon Snow's uncle? The missing ranger.

Matthew Farr (thefarrm) | 5 comments I thought that as well, but since He's Bran's uncle too so wouldn't he recognize him?

Brad Theado | 217 comments The description has him wrapped up

Matthew Farr (thefarrm) | 5 comments Brad wrote: "The description has him wrapped up"

I was more thinking of his voice, or to a lesser extent body shape.

Michael Minutillo (wolfbyte) Would you assume a clearly undead creature wrapped up (with a covered face) was a relative of yours you rarely see? Or would you be more worried that your useless and unmoving legs are probably full of frostbite and will need to be removed? I know that's what *I* was thinking for that whole chapter.

Peter | 142 comments I always figured it was Benjen (as did many others). Since Bran rarely if ever meet Benjen, I highly doubt he would even recognize him (throw out the TV, it irratated me that he was in the show and wasn't in the book till the end of Storm of Swords)

message 7: by aldenoneil (new) - added it

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Peter wrote: "It irratated me that he was in the show and wasn't in the book till the end of Storm of Swords"

I thought for certain I remember him from the first book. Have I taken leave of my senses?

Mach | 46 comments He was in the first book.

Peter | 142 comments see, I don't remember him being in the first book, just Ned and Jon talking about him, I was under the impression he was lost before Jon and Tyrion left for the Wall. I could be wrong though

message 10: by Mach (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mach | 46 comments He was there, he sat with the royal family and the rest of the Starks in the welcoming feast for King Robert. I remember that Jon was not allowed to sit with the rest of the family because he is a bastard but Benjen was.

Peter | 142 comments ok, i found it:

"The last of the high lords to enter were his uncle, Benjen Stark of the Night’s Watch, and his father’s ward, young Theon Greyjoy. Benjen gave Jon a warm smile as he went by. Theon ignored him utterly, but there was nothing new in that. After all had been seated, toasts were made, thanks were given and returned, and then the feasting began"

I guess I completely missed that part and got focused on him being missing.

message 12: by aldenoneil (last edited Jul 17, 2011 10:37PM) (new) - added it

aldenoneil | 1000 comments I knew I remembered him there, because he was one of my favorite characters from early on...and then we lost him.

message 13: by Eliaures (new)

Eliaures | 40 comments I was thinking of starting a thread titled Coldhands = Benjen? until this one. I think he's Benjen as well. Poor Starks, they seem to be subject to zombie-ism with Catelyn becoming Lady Stoneheart...though deservedly in her case in my opinion.

Peter | 142 comments I kinda like Catelyn, never really understood the hate for her, and thought it was pretty crappy of the Frey's how they went about the Red Wedding. Zombfying her made her completely one dimensional and a bad guy (going after the Frey's I get, going after Bri totally stupid). At lest Coldhands/Benjen has some sense left to him and seems more like he's undead and not just a zombie.

message 15: by Eliaures (new)

Eliaures | 40 comments I haven't got the impression that many folks hate Catelyn. I do, but it doesn't seem to be a common feeling. Why?

Jon Snow, capturing Tyrion (though in all honesty this was a good thing since it started the ball rolling in A Song), releasing Jaime, Lady Stoneheart which reinforces her always capricious nature, and for raising Sansa to be the betraying, narcissistic, tart she is. That last bit is unfair since parents aren't completely responsible for the character of their children, but it felt good to say it.

Peter | 142 comments Eliaures wrote: "I haven't got the impression that many folks hate Catelyn. I do, but it doesn't seem to be a common feeling. Why?

Jon Snow, capturing Tyrion (though in all honesty this was a good thing since ..."

A lot of posters over on westeros.org, and other forums/podcasts can't stand her. I think she's just been around Ned too long to really get the intrigue required to really do any good, that and her honor and desire to protect/save her children get in the way of making the smart move, instead does absolutely idiotic things like releasing Jamie and capturing Tyrion.