Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > One of these editions may have wrong ISBN

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 535 comments I received a paperback copy of the book The Vampire's Warden and it has this cover: The Vampire's Warden (Undead in Brown County, #1) by S.J. Wright and an ISBN of 9781460989883 with 199 pages.

When I went to catalog the book the only edition that has the same ISBN and cover of the book I'm holding is an ebook edition. The only paperback edition that is shown has a different ISBN and cover: The Vampire's Warden by S.J. Wright .

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments It's probably just an alternate cover for the same ISBN. You can manually create a new edition with the correct cover, but leave the ISBN blank and put in the note "Alternate Cover for ISBNXXX." If you need help with it just let me know.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6584 comments No, I think she's saying that the ebook and her paperback have the same ISBN. Can that be correct?

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments Oh I see. I've seen that happen before, the publisher will sometimes use the same ISBN for the ebook as the paperback. I've never seen the ebook get loaded first though.

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23145 comments That happens often, that they have the same ISBN, though usually they have the same cover.

Doesn't matter which gets loaded first, 2nd one gets the alternate cover treatment. Ebook often gets loaded first, just depends on who does it.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 535 comments Yes, I do have a paperback book that shows the same ISBN as the ebook. My paperback cover & ISBN is different that the one shown here. Should I make the change that you suggested earlier?

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 535 comments In which space would the note go?

message 8: by Jessica (last edited Jul 12, 2011 07:58AM) (new)

Jessica | 963 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "In which space would the note go?"

There should be a link towards the top saying "add a librarian note." Use that. If it's not there I can put it in for you, but it should be.

message 9: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments You would click on "add librarian note" at the top of the edit page. I also put the note at the top of the description, in italics.

message 10: by Shay (new)

Shay | 179 comments Beth wrote: "You would click on "add librarian note" at the top of the edit page. I also put the note at the top of the description, in italics."

Is this the place to put it so the note shows up highlighted in yellow when you combine books?

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 535 comments I could not find a link for the librarian's note but I did create the edition: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

I did it prior to reading the note about putting a comment in the description. :(

message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments It's okay...you want me to stick it in there? Or you can, with an edit...I put it in there so that people shelving it know they have the right edition. :)

message 13: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments Never mind...I added it for ya, and combined it with the other editions. Hope you don't mind. I'm having one of those mornings that I need to keep busy. :/

message 14: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments And I added it to my "to read" list, too...I do that a lot with your books. :)

message 15: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments @Shay...sorry, just saw your note...but yes. :)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 535 comments Thanks! I don't mind at all. :)

:-) You should join my fantasy group!

message 17: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments Can you send me a link?