Literary Exploration discussion

Authors, Books & Series > The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (last edited Jul 12, 2011 05:52AM) (new)

Kim I was looking at this book for an irrelevant reason and I noticed KL and Brad, you both have this listed as to-read.

I consider this one of the most important sci-fi/comedy books ever written. That dry wit so reminiscent of Monty Python, the outlandish situations, the completely made up physics. This is a book I would not hesitate to recommend to anyone. I know not everyone will get it and that's fine, but those who do get it will love it and never forget it.

message 2: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
I really need to read this, might move it to near the top of my list

message 3: by Melki (new)

Melki | 205 comments I read this to my kids. They loved it.

message 4: by Ruth Madison (new)

Ruth Madison (Dev Love Press) (ruthmadison) | 18 comments So, so good!

message 5: by Parsa (new)

Parsa | 68 comments Imagine I didnt knew much abt the series until one day I got my hands on Restaurant at the end of the universe. I still havent completed the series but I have read the books I have atleast twice.

message 6: by Carycleo (last edited Jul 13, 2011 03:05PM) (new)

Carycleo | 28 comments I definitely enjoyed this one and one or two more in the series. (It's been a few years.) But, Kim, it made me smile, "one of the most important sci-fi/comedy books ever written" -- I had never thought of that as a category before. ;) Now I kind of want a list of scifi/comedy books, to see what I might have been missing.

message 7: by Ruth Madison (new)

Ruth Madison (Dev Love Press) (ruthmadison) | 18 comments Good Omens is sort-of sci-fi/comedy. It's certainly comedy, somewhat sci-fi-ish. I think Terry Brook's other books are in that category, from what I understand.

message 8: by Carycleo (new)

Carycleo | 28 comments After I posted, Terry Pratchett came to mind as another author that I would categorize as scifi/comedy, at least the couple of books that I've read. Which is what Ruth is saying with Good Omens. :)

message 9: by ♥Xeni♥ (new)

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) | 220 comments My bookstore released a special edition of the whole series bound in leather and with gold leaf on the edges of the pages. It's one of my most treasured books that I own! I adore this whole series and tell people who haven't read it to do so, or else they will miss out on a big chunk of life!

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim I think it might be reread time soon :)

message 11: by Ruth Madison (new)

Ruth Madison (Dev Love Press) (ruthmadison) | 18 comments Carycleo wrote: "After I posted, Terry Pratchett came to mind as another author that I would categorize as scifi/comedy, at least the couple of books that I've read. Which is what Ruth is saying with Good Omens. :)"

Yes! I feel so stupid. I don't know why the name Brooks came to mind. I totally meant Pratchett. lol.

message 12: by L.D. (new)

L.D. | 2 comments This series, especially the first three books, have been favorites of mine for years. I'm reading right now Isaac Asimov's The Foundation and was happily surprised to see that that's where the Encyclopeida Galactica comes from. Also shows why The Hitchhiker's Guide is far more popular than the Encyclopedia.

message 13: by Graham (new)

Graham (giraham) | 19 comments I love the whole series. Absolutely nutty on the surface, but underneath all the craziness there's some decent philosophical ideas, whether Adams intended to include them or not. The sci-fi is absolute garbage, but it doesn't take itself any more seriously than it has to

And regarding Monty Python, Adams actually wrote a MP sketch with Chapman and got a writing credit on an episode (I'm fairly certain)

message 14: by S. (last edited Aug 26, 2011 09:39PM) (new)

S. Baker (sspencerb) | 1 comments Douglas Adams was a highly experienced radio comedy writer. The Hitchhiker's Guide was originally created as a BBC Radio series and I think the discipline that radio enforces on a writer shows up in the speed and structure of the narrative. I've seen the TV series, read all the books and have the complete radio series on my iPod but I've avoided the film because the clips I saw and the reviews I've read led me to believe I'd be hugely disappointed. The radio version is by far my favourite. [[edit: after writing this I realised I'd let myself be swayed by negative reviews which is veering towards the hypocritical so I bought a copy of the film from the iTunes Store and watched it. It's awful.]]

When people compare my writing to Hitchhiker's Guide I am hugely flattered and slightly apologetic. Maybe one day I'll be that good. Until then I'll just keep on banging the rocks together.

message 15: by ♥Xeni♥ (new)

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) | 220 comments I was hugely disappointed by the film, S. I am so glad that I have since forgotten most of it. The only good part was Marvin, who really fulfilled his character!

message 16: by Kim (new)

Kim Yeah the film was definitely not the best. I love the books and the BBC tv series but I've never heard the radio version. Will have to see if I can find it on CD.

message 17: by ♥Xeni♥ (new)

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) | 220 comments Seriously? I think it says it in the Afterword or the Foreword of each of the books. xD You never read those parts, eh?

message 18: by Kim (new)

Kim What are you referring to Xeni?

message 19: by ♥Xeni♥ (new)

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) | 220 comments Oh, that it started out as a radio show. Sorry.

message 20: by Kim (new)

Kim Ah ok. I've heard of it, just not heard it :p

message 21: by Veljko (new)

Veljko (_vxf_) | 52 comments I must say - after reading some of the comments here I looked into the books... and read the first three. They were a blast!!!

Thanks, thanks.

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa ♥Xeni♥ wrote: "My bookstore released a special edition of the whole series bound in leather and with gold leaf on the edges of the pages. It's one of my most treasured books that I own! I adore this whole series ..."

I recently checked this one out of the library. The 1st three books were great but I started losing interest with the last 2. Definatly should have spread out reading the stories instead of all five at once!
Very dry humor and complete randomness that was entertaining.

message 23: by J.C. (new)

J.C. (jcjoranco) | 2 comments Have any of you read the last one? And Another Thing... It's written by a different author, so I've been skeptical about reading it.

message 24: by Kim (new)

Kim Yeah I wasn't a fan of it. Didn't feel right.

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) I have bought so many copies and editions of these books over the years, yet I still don't own a single one. It seems that as soon as I buy one, someone tells me they've never read them and I launch it at them as fast as possible.

I hardly ever get them back, as seems to be the way with incredibly good books..

message 26: by L.S. (new)

L.S. Burton (lsburton337) | 4 comments Tiffani wrote: "I have bought so many copies and editions of these books over the years, yet I still don't own a single one. It seems that as soon as I buy one, someone tells me they've never read them and I launc..."

I'm the same. I used to spend summers in tents and logging camps. Every year I'd hunt down copies. They were great books for unwinding.

message 27: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic For pure fun and delightful entertainment, I would recommend the Hitch Hikers Guide series to any avid reader, even those who do not usually prefer science fiction.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

The last book by Douglas Adams in this series was a definite bummer. But he seems to have given up on the series long before.