Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Achive > A Dance With Dragons

Comments Showing 1-50 of 128 (128 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Today is the big day! A Dance with Dragons is finally being released! There should have been a holiday named! I'm serious!

Mine is in the mail, but I should have it by the end of the week, when I'll do my best to devour it as quickly as I can.

But we might as well discuss it now! Take it away Machavelli...

message 2: by Mach (new)

Mach | 572 comments I think we should divide the threads by page number for example the closest chapter to page one hundred ends in page 94 so we create a thread for page 0 to 94 and so forth. This thread here we can use as a thread for first impressions with no spoilers, what do you think?

message 3: by Mach (last edited Jul 12, 2011 03:47AM) (new)

Mach | 572 comments Or should we just discuss it all on this thread and use spoiler warnings were we inform how far in the book the spoiler is ?

message 4: by Jean (new)

Jean Hontz (majkia) Threads by chapter or page number or something. too easy to see spoilers accidentally. I DL'd mine a tad before midnight last night and Danced for an hour and a half before exhaustion set in :)

message 5: by Mach (last edited Jul 12, 2011 05:05AM) (new)

Mach | 572 comments The sentences are very short and the writing feels rushed in the beginning of the book. I read that Martin had to cut the page number down because the book was at that time too big to be published in one volume, i think they cut of too many words. I am halfway now and the writing is smoother and better now. It was only in the first 200 pages or so.

What is your first impression?

message 6: by Jean (new)

Jean Hontz (majkia) I'm at the end of the first Tyrion chapter so only just began. It seems very similar to his other ASOIAF books, the way the writing flows and the detail in world building. So happy to have it! Finally!

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) My copy should be here in less than two hours via UPS.

message 8: by Leighann (new)

Leighann | 159 comments So here's my question - how many more books before the series wraps up?

I just lent my copies to my roommate as I have not been as wrapped up in this one as I was when I read it in college.

message 9: by Mach (new)

Mach | 572 comments He has said that there are supposed to be seven books, but i seriuosly doubt that, i am reading the fifth one now and he is introducing major characters this late, i think it will probably be more like 10 books.

message 10: by Leighann (new)

Leighann | 159 comments And he takes too long to write them. Well my plan is to read them all again when he "finishes" the series. :)

message 11: by Roshio (new)

Roshio | 106 comments wow people have it already! Jealous. I haven't even ordered mine. Yeah I agree Machavelli. Dany doesn't even seem ready to set foot on Westeros.

message 12: by Tacuazin (new)

Tacuazin | 16 comments I've got it! I've got it!

message 13: by Mach (new)

Mach | 572 comments Tacuazin wrote: "I've got it! I've got it!"

Glad i am not the only one :)

message 14: by Tacuazin (new)

Tacuazin | 16 comments Oh, but I still have to finish my reread of books 2, 3 and 4 before focusing on the 5th! I am not ready to participate in any discussions yet. No need for spoilers!

message 15: by Mach (new)

Mach | 572 comments I won't post any spoilers without using this (view spoiler)

message 16: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Just picked up my copy!!!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Y'know, I can't help but hear Dinklages voice when I read Tyrion now...

message 18: by Tina (new)

Tina | 177 comments I am such a dork. I kept wondering why it hadn't downloaded onto my kindle yet! I was so worried. I forgot to turn on the wireless.

message 19: by James (new)

James Gonzalez | 131 comments At least it's finally been released. Now I just have to wait for the library to get it.

message 20: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I pre-ordered mine. They shipped it yesterday, so hopefully will be here by the end of the week. If it's not, somebody dies. LOL

message 21: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I am so weak. I just went and picked this up for my Kindle. LOL

message 22: by Maggie (last edited Jul 12, 2011 04:36PM) (new)

Maggie K | 730 comments jason! lmaooooooooooooooooo

well, no wonder it is quiet on here tonight...I better go read me some Malazan!

message 23: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments You must join us, Maggie! *giving you the hypnotizing eye*

message 24: by James (new)

James Gonzalez | 131 comments Maggie wrote: "jason! lmaooooooooooooooooo

well, no wonder it is quiet on here tonight...I better go read me some Malazan!"

Grr. I have too many books to read before I get into that series, and it's killing me! But I really wanna!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Illyrio...what is your deal, man?

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) Tyrion is funny as he always is. I just love that character.

message 27: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I'm still half-way through the prologue. That should change soon, though! :)

message 28: by Roshio (last edited Jul 13, 2011 04:50AM) (new)

Roshio | 106 comments Jason wrote: "I am so weak. I just went and picked this up for my Kindle. LOL"

haha excellent!

message 29: by Mach (last edited Jul 13, 2011 05:41AM) (new)

Mach | 572 comments Yllirio and Varys are the two enigmas, i have no idea why they do the things they do.

message 30: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 730 comments That Quick Ben thinks he knows everything....

I swore before that I wouldnt get sucked into reading this until GRRM was at least WORKING on the next one.....I was too vocal, and now have to stick to it, even if I was curious...which Im not. Really. Im not. Im not looking over your shoulder either...

message 31: by Denae (last edited Jul 13, 2011 05:35AM) (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments Well, I finished this last night, about an hour after my boyfriend. (He had a 4 hour head start on me because Amazon shipped it a day early, so I got to sit skimming Feast and watching him read it while waiting for midnight.) My general reaction:(view spoiler) I'll wait for more specific threads to say more.

message 32: by Mach (last edited Jul 13, 2011 05:41AM) (new)

Mach | 572 comments How did you manage to finish so fast? i started on Saturday and i still am not finished even thought i have spent every free moment reading this brick.

message 33: by Traci (new)

Traci Maybe because I read my nook all day and gave myself a headache but has anyone else found too many repetitive phrases. In the last book I gritted my teeth everytime I had to read (view spoiler) this time I am tired of, spoiler but okay to read if you've gotten to Tyrion (view spoiler)

message 34: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments I'm unemployed and my sleep schedule is screwed up, so other than a trip to get food and about 6 hours of sleep, I did nothing from when I got it to when I finished last night but read. This morning I feel like I have a hangover and I had nothing to drink.

I'm with you on the repetitive phrases, but having read the WoT books, it didn't stick out quite as much. Some of the repetitive scenes did, although I guess you kind of had to have that given that part of the book follows along with A Feast for Crows. That probably wouldn't be as obvious if I hadn't re-read that one right before.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I kinda like the whole (view spoiler) thing. Though the mention of (view spoiler) has been a bit annoying.

Also, (view spoiler)

Also, also, I find myself going really slowly with this book compared to others, and I don't know why. It's like I'm savoring each word or something. It's weird.

message 36: by Mach (new)

Mach | 572 comments I am reading like there is no tomorow, but it's going to be sad when i am finished. I am getting sick of the whole (view spoiler)

message 37: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Traci wrote: "Maybe because I read my nook all day and gave myself a headache but has anyone else found too many repetitive phrases. In the last book I gritted my teeth everytime I had to read [spoilers removed]..."

That Tyrion thing was getting old, and I've only read his first chapter. Does he continue it throughout the book?

message 38: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Yay, I got my hardback copy in the mail today. Such a beautiful book!

Despite what I said in my previous post, I'm really glad to be reading about Tyrion again. I've missed him. I've missed reading anything new in these books altogether!

message 39: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 350 comments Jason wrote: "Yay, I got my hardback copy in the mail today. Such a beautiful book!..."

I got mine too. I must have pre-ordered it. Is this part of the series? I'm still a couple of books behind. Since joining GR, I've found much more interesting books to read, books that make me re-evaluate my concepts of reality.

message 40: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Wait.

Are you reading an ebook version? And you have a HB in the mail today?

*raises eyebrows*

message 41: by Robert (new)

Robert | 1 comments I have a date with the ebook version this weekend! Really looking forward to it!

message 42: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 14, 2011 09:33AM) (new)

I'm about halfway done now.

So...Reek... (view spoiler)

Also, Dany... (view spoiler)

Bran... (view spoiler)

Tyrion... (view spoiler)

also, (view spoiler)

message 43: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments Ala wrote: "I'm about halfway done now.

So...Reek... [spoilers removed]

Also, Dany... [spoilers removed]

Bran... [spoilers removed]"

I believe you're having roughly the same reactions I did, although (view spoiler)

message 44: by Amon (new)

Amon (cakefreak) | 3 comments Yelled so much while reading the book that my mom started yelling back haha.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

@Denae (view spoiler)

message 46: by Traci (new)

Traci @ Ala (view spoiler) (view spoiler)

message 47: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments MrsJoseph, I have both the ebook and hardback copy. I got the hardback copy in the mail yesterday, but I'm reading the ebook. I find that real books are so large and awkward now that I've been reading from a Kindle...LOL

message 48: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments @Ala & Traci (view spoiler)

message 49: by Traci (new)

Traci @Danae (view spoiler)

message 50: by Traci (new)

Traci I forgot...(view spoiler)

« previous 1 3