ROBUST discussion

Rants: OT & OTT > After walking on water, he multiplied the loaves and the bokkom

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andre Jute (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 4851 comments Mod
In another thread, Claudine writes: "I'll pass on the stinkfish, maybe down a harder or two."

I don't know what a harder is, but I'll give you another weird word.

Bokkom. Some of my maternal grandfather's relatives up the West Coast were hard people, fishermen you could rely on for a little IDB, or so us boys liked to imagine, until we discovered that when we visited them we were expected to attend church twice on Sundays... All of them, every family, kept a barrel of dried, salted small fish at the back door, from which passing strangers who were hungry could take a fish. The fish were called bokkoms. I asked one of them, Uncle Arendt, when we walked in his vineyard at Klawer, about the fish in the barrels, and he said, "Well now, I can't walk on water, but I can multiply the fish." We used the threat of telling his wife what he said to negotiate him down to one church visit per Sunday.

message 2: by Claudine (new)

Claudine | 1110 comments Mod
Bokkom and Harder is the same thing, dried fish. Where on the West Coast are they from? My grandmother's people came from Porterville, not quite on the coast but still in the area. My husband's mother's people are from Churchhaven, his dad's people populated Lambert's Bay, Eland's Bay and Redelinghuys I think it's called?

message 3: by Andre Jute (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 4851 comments Mod
Most of them were from the Klawer area. I can't tell you the name of the place on the sea where they owned fishing boats (and salt pans) because I was there last before I was six.

message 4: by Claudine (new)

Claudine | 1110 comments Mod
I know Klawer quite well, at least I remember it from the many times we spent driving out there over weekends and staying in Jakobsbaai and other places. A really pretty part of the coastline.