Chifems Book Club discussion

Perfect Peace

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Coleen (jilliancoleen) | 11 comments Mod
Hi everyone!

I suggested Perfect Peace a couple of months ago, and due to the awesomeness of Susie Bright being in Chicago later this year, her book has been bumped back and my suggestion has been bumped forward.

I nominated this book as it deals with themes of gender, sexuality, sexism, classism, and racism all through the paradigm of the sizable Peace family. I imagine a good portion of you will enjoy it, and a good portion of you will absolutely hate it. Regardless of which camp you fall in to, I'm confident that the discussion will be rich, and I am looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughtful reactions.

So the next order of business is deciding upon a date and then a location. Is there a preference for weekday vs. weekend? Toss me a few ideas, and perhaps I will set up a poll to determine the best date for everyone.

Hope you're all doing well, happy reading, and looking forward to discussing Perfect Peace with each of you!

Sincerely,
J

message 2: by Cinnamon (new)

Cinnamon | 3 comments I'm in favor of weeknights. During the summer, it is just easiest to schedule.

message 3: by Ashley Lauren (new)

Ashley Lauren (samsanator) | 35 comments Mod
August 15 is my first day of school, so if it's possible to choose a date before that, I'd be ever so grateful. If not, I can make it work. :)

message 4: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Coleen (jilliancoleen) | 11 comments Mod
How about Wed, Aug 10th sometime in the evening, say 730pm-ish?

message 5: by Ashley Lauren (new)

That should be good for me!

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen | 6 comments Any chance we could do it the week before?? Weds, Aug 3rd?? I'm traveling Aug 6th - Aug 14th (and I know Ashley, you start school that Monday). I hope we can make this work!! Just bought the book on my new Nook the other day:)

message 7: by Ashley Lauren (new)

Actually, that would be better for me, too. I said the 10th would be good without checking my calendar - I have a conference call at 8:30 that night!

message 8: by Ashley Lauren (new)

The 3rd would be better, the 10th is when I have the conference call. Hope that wasn't too confusing. I know Emily H. has the same conflict on the 10th, too, if that's helpful.

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen | 6 comments Are we meeting tomorrow? When and where? Some suggestions in the Loop/River North: roof deck (it is summer after all!) at Zed 451 or The Wit Hotel, Petterino's, The Grill Room, Rock Bottom (they also have a roof deck)?? I get off work at 5:30. Excited to meet everyone!

message 10: by Ashley Lauren (new)

Hey Jen.

I know Jillian, this book's moderator, is out of town till this weekend, so I'm assuming we're not meeting tomorrow. Sorry!

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen | 6 comments So are we meeting or not?