Amazon Kindle discussion

Kindles/Nooks/Sony/Other Readers...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 29 comments I am curious to see what users think about different ebook readers.
Which one do you have and what makes you think that one is better than all the rest?

message 2: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) I wanted a Nook Color originally. But when I explained that I can't download books and read them the computer, I realized I needed a different e-reader. I ended up having to buy it myself and I needed to save money so that's what led me to the Kindle. I got the one with Special Offeres and am glad I did. Bought a nice father's day gift for $20 off of $30 purchase. It doesn not put any eyestrain on me

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a kindle. I only looked at the the nook and the kindle. I just liked the kindle better. Also Amazon's customer service for the kindle is really awesome.

message 4: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 82 comments I bought a kindle because I thought it had the best user interface, amazon had more books available by authors I read.

message 5: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 106 comments I actually use my iPod Touch. Put the background on sepia and there's no eyestrain whatsoever. Absolutely fantastic. I've got a bunch of epub and Kindle format books. Just download the free Kindle app and it's sorted.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4 comments I got a Kindle just after the Kindle 2 came based on reviews of what was available and still love it. Now I like being able to use Kindle software and access my books on the iPad but I prefer the Kindle, it's lighter, more options for fonts and navigating, and the screen is easier on the eyes imho

message 7: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) Susan, curious why you prefer the i-pad. Also anyone who has another reader that you use besides Kindle, what is the advantage of the other brand?

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4 comments Karen, I prefer the Kindle for reading but I can download/borrow books via my library using Overdrive on the iPad. I also like having access to the Kindle library on the iPad in case I want to look something up say while I'm in Goodreads. Curious to see what others say

message 9: by Elie (new)

Elie Harriett Kindle DX and iPad. But on iPad, unless it is public domain, I read through the Kindle app. I'd wanted an Ereader since the Sony Reader, but I was concerned about selection. Took a chance when kindle came out and haven't regretted it.

Of all the designs, I still think Sony is the winner, but selection rules.

message 10: by Summer (last edited Jul 12, 2011 02:49PM) (new)

Summer (paradisecity) I've had a K1, K3, Sony touch, and Nook Touch. Honestly, I've liked the Nook Touch best. I think the touchscreen interface, form factor, and reworked refresh/caching technology is great. I'm hoping the next generation of Kindles are comparable.

message 11: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) Esse, do you have the color Nook?

message 12: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments I was in BestBuy today and got to play with all of them, and came away liking my Kindle even more.

message 13: by Summer (new)

Summer (paradisecity) Karen B wrote: "Esse, do you have the color Nook?"

Nope, I have the new e-ink touchscreen Nook (I think it's officially called the Simple Touch Reader).

message 14: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 29 comments It seems to me that the new Nook is trying to imitate Kindle a little bit.

message 15: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 106 comments Does anyone else use their iPod Touch? I seem to be in a minority! I haven't really played with any of the others, but the touchscreen and colour images work for me.

message 16: by Elie (new)

Elie Harriett Anne-Mhairi wrote: "Does anyone else use their iPod Touch?"

I use my iPhone in a pinch. It is passable, but when I've got something else available, I'll use that instead. My iPhone was actually my first Kindle (using the app). I was using that before I even got my actual ereader. Great gateway device.

message 17: by Betsy (new)

Betsy I use my Android phone when I'm away from home for short periods. But I have a big phone: 4" diagonal screen, with sepia background works quite well.

message 18: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Bout (nancybout) | 18 comments i tried reading w everything,Ipad,Itouch,Android phone...the Ipad is OK but NMS..:( I LOVE the Nook Touch.
I Had the regular Nook,but the Nook Touch is just so light and awesome to read out of!!!

message 19: by Betsy (new)

Betsy But did you try a Kindle?

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Holmes sony had the first touch e-ink screen the only draw back was it didnt have wifi

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I have a Kindle 2, which I bought shortly before Amazon announced the impending release of the Kindle 3. I'd been wavering for a while (finally having decided that I really wanted a Kindle, but not being able to justify the cost at the time) and if I remember right, they dropped the price a bit a few days before I ordered mine, which was finally inducement enough for me to get one. This was May of last year, I think. I'd done a bit of research on the different models of ereader on the market but for me there was really no competition, just because I already shopped at Amazon so much and was swayed by previous good experience with their customer service along with the appeal of wireless delivery over 3G. That and the huge number of books they had available.

I (like a lot of people, I suspect) was a bit worried that I wouldn't like reading on my Kindle once I got it. I think I found it a little odd for the first couple of days, and then it really did seem to 'disappear', as promised in the ads. Wouldn't be without it now!

message 22: by Robert (new)

Robert | 58 comments Mine is a Kindle 3. I love it! Although my wife steals it to play games and I don't get to use it to read as much as I'd like!

message 23: by Helen (new)

Helen kindle kindle kindle kindle!!!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I love my Kindle. It's already paid for itself - the books are so much cheaper than dead tree books.

message 25: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Schuh | 38 comments Does anyone have the Kindle with the Kindle 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) with Built-in Free 3G connectivity? It supposedly has free internet connectivity wherever one goes without paying for internet access. I'm just wondering how well the feature works and if one can connect to facebook and other websites aside from Amazon.

message 26: by Summer (new)

Summer (paradisecity) Eileen wrote: "I'm just wondering how well the feature works and if one can connect to facebook and other websites aside from Amazon."

You can connect, but's a fairly slow and clunky experience akin to using WAP sites on cell phones back in the day.

message 27: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Eileen wrote: "Does anyone have the Kindle with the Kindle 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) with Built-in Free 3G connectivity? It supposedly has free internet connectivity wherever one goes without paying for internet acces..."

I do. It works well. Always connected, unless you turn it off. No extra cost for the connection. I never turn the WiFi on. I think WiFi is supposed to be faster, but I've never noticed any slowness with 3G for downloads and things from Amazon. Course I live in a big city; don't know if that matters.

You can connect to other websites than Amazon, but I don't recommend it except in emergency. The display is not designed for viewing those kinds of websites.

message 28: by Teryl (new)

Teryl I have had the Sony 505 (they don't make it anymore) for 3 years now. I really enjoy it, especially the collections folder. If you are a big series reader like I am, then you can use the collections folder to organize your series in order (I use Calibre for organization). That is probably my favorite feature.

I'm saving for a kindle right now (debating to go ads or no ads while I'm saving). I didn't think I would ever get a kindle because I didn't want to be tied to Amazon, but I am finding that their book selection is better and a lot of times their prices are better. I'll still keep my Sony though, I have too many books in epub format and I'm not sure if I can convert them to the amazon mobi format.

message 29: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 29 comments Teryl wrote: "I have had the Sony 505 (they don't make it anymore) for 3 years now. I really enjoy it, especially the collections folder. If you are a big series reader like I am, then you can use the collecti..."

Oh, the feature for the series sounds great! I am a big series reader and would love it if my Kindle could organize them like that!

message 30: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Holmes calibre can change the epubs into just about any format even into mobi

message 31: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Schuh | 38 comments Maja wrote: "Teryl wrote: "I have had the Sony 505 (they don't make it anymore) for 3 years now. I really enjoy it, especially the collections folder. If you are a big series reader like I am, then you can us..."

My Kindle 3G has a collections feature

message 32: by Ben (new)

Ben (bevenh) | 8 comments The internet function on the 3g model is great. Slow but works well.

message 33: by Emily (new)

Emily | 3 comments Before my Kindle I always bought from Amazon, Borders, Barnes&Noble and other sellers, but found that I was always most satisfied with Amazon products and Customer Service. I did a lot of research prior to buying an e-reader and decided that Kindle was for me. Its so easy to read and I cant believe I ever lived without one!
When I was traveling for vacation I found that my Kindle got damaged. The screen wasnt cracked or scratched but the image was fractured (only bits and peices of the screen would show my page behind the screensaver image). I looked up the warranty and it seemed that they wouldnt do anything if it wasnt a lemon or computer error. I about cried.
After vaca I finally called and was estatic to find out they were going to send me a brand new replacement kindle no charge! I was on the phone for 10 min and Amazon customer service was amazing!!!! I couldn't be more satisfied! This just confirms my decision to choose a Kindle.

message 34: by Helen (new)

Helen A lot of people have raved about the service.

message 35: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (misspeppermint) | 7 comments We have a generation 2 and two generation 3 Kindles in our house. I really love the the 3g and it's super handy when you really want a book and your not at home.
It is super lite and as others have said, you really do loose the fact that it's not a traditional book.
A few other great features are -
-The Kindle charger and my & my stepdaughter's android phone chargers are interchangeable - that has actually come in really handy this summer when a charger for this or that has been left behind!
-I have downloaded the Kindle app onto my desktop and used it there when watching my baby during the nighttime hours on his monitor and I don't want to wake my husband getting my Kindle from the bedroom.
-Both my step-daughter and myself have also downloaded the Android Kindle app recently when we were left waiting for an extra long time at the Dentist office and didn't think to bring our Kindles - oh that was soooo nice!
-All three of us (husband, step-daughter & myself) are on the same account which is great because we can share books at any time.
-I love all the extras I have for my Kindle. My s-daughter and husband just have the popular book cover and light but I have a skin which I totally love (but I'm sure you could do that with any e-reader) and I really love my cover - it's totally enclosed which makes it great for by the pool.
Maybe we'll have a Nook in our family someday, we are not opposed to a different e-reader but that is what we have now and we are really, really happy.

message 36: by Dot (new)

Dot (busyozmum) I bought myself my first Kindle 3 this past Christmas. I raved about it for the first few weeks but couldn't convince my husband to look at it. Now, halfway through the year, I find I can't read anything on it coz it's always in his hands. Guess what he's getting for his birthday in September? LOL!

A few days ago, I ordered a Kindle for my dd's 11th birthday coming up next month. I expect we'll have 3 of them in house before Christmas time 2011.

When I first started looking into ereaders, there was the Kobo, Kindle and Sony easily available to those of us living in Australia. I checked again this past week to see if I might buy another brand for my dd and notice that no one seems to be selling the Kobo any more and the Sony readers are more than double the price of Kindle.

I love my Kindle. May as well stick with what I know and love.

message 37: by Gianna (new)

Gianna | 13 comments I do like how light my Kindle is but I am finding that I like the spread of a book for handling reading in bed...so i'm considering buying a cover so I get that spead. Has this helped others?

message 38: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Schuh | 38 comments Gianna wrote: "I do like how light my Kindle is but I am finding that I like the spread of a book for handling reading in bed...so i'm considering buying a cover so I get that spead. Has this helped others?"

I know what you mean. Yes, with the cover open the Kindle fits nicely on one's knees in bed and both hands can be free.

message 39: by stormhawk (last edited Jul 18, 2011 09:48AM) (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments Or you could get one of these:

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES...

Not that I'd try to stop anyone getting an Oberon cover ...

message 40: by Gianna (new)

Gianna | 13 comments stormhawk wrote: "Or you could get one of these:

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES...

Not that I'd try to stop anyone getting an Oberon cover ..."

Pretty cool! I do flip around a lot, so will probably go with a cover with a light!! Thanks!

message 41: by Teryl (new)

Teryl Michelle wrote: "calibre can change the epubs into just about any format even into mobi"

I knew Calibre could convert a lot of different formats, but I didn't know it could convert epub to Amazon's verision of mobi, this is good to know!

message 42: by Teryl (new)

Teryl Eileen wrote: "Maja wrote: "My Kindle 3G has a collections feature"

This is great to hear. I thought they were the same minus how you could load the books i.e. wi-fi or 3g.

message 43: by Helen (new)

Helen They are the same aren't they - other than wifi or 3g-ness I mean?

message 44: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 82 comments All Kindle 3's have the same functionality the only difference is if you have 3G(cell) service or if you have to download via wifi.

All of them allow you to organize books into collections or sort by title, author, newest etc...

message 45: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Schuh | 38 comments Actually my Kindle is called a 3G, but it doesn't have the built-in ISP It confused me. Amazon says 3G refers to Third Generation and that the built-in internet connect is a 3G option. I do have wi fi.

message 46: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 82 comments I think you are confusing the Kindle 3 and the kindle 3 with 3G.

Amazon does not actually list the kindle as the kindle 3 on their website though the current kindle is the 3rd of the standard sized kindle. They differentiate the kindle as kindle wifi only and kindle 3G + wifi. If you check out the product page you can see the difference between them.

message 47: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Schuh | 38 comments My kindle is a Kindle 3G (third generation). It is not the 3G model that includes free 3G connectivity. To quote from my user manual "All latest generation Kindle devices have Wi-Fi connectivity built in, and some models also include free 3G connectivity."

i.e. buying a 3G Kindle doesn't guarantee free built-in internet connectivity. If you want that, make sure you chose the model that has it.

message 48: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 82 comments There seems to be some confusion about the term 3G. 3G is a cell phone industry term for 3rd generation networks if you have seen the recent commercials talking about the new 4G networks they are rolling out.

When amazon references 3G on their website they are talking about the cell phone network. The kindle 1 & kindle 2 both had 3G connectivity standard. With the newest kindle the kindle amazon offered a wifi only version that can not connected to the cell phone network.

Technically since the newest kindle is the 3rd version you could call it easy 3rd generation. But calling all 3rd generation kindles kindle 3G makes it hard to differentiate between the wifi version and the version that offers a cellular connection which is also the only version amazon markets with any reference to 3G.

message 49: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Schuh | 38 comments Except...when I bought mine. It was sold to me as a 3G. (It did confuse me)
I just checked my Amazon Kindle account. My Kindle is registered as Kindle 3rd generation (exact phrasing).

message 50: by Ralph Gallagher (new)

Ralph Gallagher | 327 comments Mod
Kindle 3rd Generation is not the same as Kindle 3G. I have not seen Amazon advertise any of their Kindles as "3G" unless it's the model with 3G service. They do not refer to the latest generation of Kindles as Kindle 3Gs.

« previous 1