Discovering Russian Literature discussion

GENERAL TOPICS > Genre Issue discussions

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Graham | 14 comments Hi. I thought this topic might be of interest. The novel Land Run has had some controversy on genre placement. The video is on the author page and also here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3WGCb...

Land Run

message 2: by Amalie (new)

Amalie  | 650 comments Mod
Hmm... Promotions? I guess we don't have a particular folder for that. Well first of all I didn't realize it's your novel Mark and then... does it matter? Cross-genre/ multi-genre is interesting. I've never come across this. What genres does it blend?

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark Graham | 14 comments Hi Amalie. It doesn't matter...in theory. And then - it (can) matter in reality. This comes from a personal frame of reference...experience. Apparently, in my case, there are Christian characters so it is called 'Christian Fiction' but carries themes and some language that disallows it from CBA publishers...so the 'crossover' term was then applied to it. I think it is weird to classify a genre based on a faith of some of the characters. But in other discussions I have come across say a Mystery writer...who is heavy on character and story development which happens to include mystery. So far I have learned from writers here that they write stories...that tie only somewhat to a particular genre - but get placed within that genre. This is a streatch - but my current thinking, based on these discussions, is that a plot driven narrative is more easily placed within a genre than a story/character focus. The fear of some writers is that readers will be disappointed - expecting something different. In my case, Christian novels (CBA) have such restrictions that a reader knows it is to 'formula' because of where they purchased it. Some fear the writer has an agenda...others fear the writer doesn't have an agenda ;-) I guess crossover - the ageda is story, meaning and depth of character? I don't know - but that is my agenda.

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark Graham | 14 comments The Yellow Arrow - by Victor Pelevin. I wonder if some come to it for philosophy or science fiction? Or how genre impacts to discover a crossover can open interest of a reader in new directions. But I added mostly to writer discussions - but maybe something for general discussion here.

message 5: by Amalie (new)

Amalie  | 650 comments Mod
Mark wrote: "The Yellow Arrow - by Victor Pelevin. I wonder if some come to it for philosophy or science fiction? Or how genre impacts to discover a crossover can open interest of a reader in new directions. ..."

Well, this is a place focusing on Russian Lit but thanks for posting. Your novel does sound interesting. I like cross-genre novels because they are a lot more interesting as long as they are done well. I just finished The Time Traveler's Wife and I didn't like it that much for many reasons. One of them is that I really didn't buy or felt the science-fiction aspect. By now I've realized best-sellers are not always best-written.