SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Quick Reference & How-To's > GENRES | Share What You Know About Any Genre

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28236 comments GENRES | Share What You Know About Any Genre
Genres are mixed and mingled so much these days with new/popular ones popping up all the time

Know the difference between speculative fiction and science fiction? We have a thread discussing the differences between PNR & UF here , but what about all the others?

Share what you know or definitions found around the web here.

message 2: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28236 comments Here are some definitions, per Wikipedia:

Speculative Fiction:
Speculative fiction is an umbrella term encompassing the more fantastical fiction genres, specifically science fiction, fantasy, horror, supernatural fiction, superhero fiction, utopian and dystopian fiction, apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic fiction, and alternate history in literature as well as related static, motion, and virtual arts.

Steampunk:
Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction, alternate history, and speculative fiction that came into prominence during the 1980s and early 1990s. Steampunk involves a setting where steam power is still widely used—usually the Victorian era Britain—that incorporates elements of either science fiction or fantasy. Works of steampunk often feature anachronistic technology or futuristic innovations as Victorians may have envisioned them; based on a Victorian perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, art, etc. This technology may include such fictional machines as those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne.

Other examples of steampunk contain alternative history-style presentations of such technology as lighter-than-air airships, analog computers, or such digital mechanical computers as Charles Babbage and Ada Lovelace's Analytical engine.

Cyberpunk:
Cyberpunk is a postmodern and science fiction genre noted for its focus on "high tech and low life." The name is a portmanteau of cybernetics and punk, and was originally coined by Bruce Bethke as the title of his short story "Cyberpunk," published in 1983. It features advanced science, such as information technology and cybernetics, coupled with a degree of breakdown or radical change in the social order. Cyberpunk works are well situated within postmodern literature.

Cyberpunk plots often center on a conflict among hackers, artificial intelligences, and megacorporations, and tend to be set in a near-future Earth, rather than the far-future settings or galactic vistas found in novels such as Isaac Asimov's Foundation or Frank Herbert's Dune. The settings are usually post-industrial dystopias but tend to be marked by extraordinary cultural ferment and the use of technology in ways never anticipated by its creators.

Utopia & Dystopia:
The utopia and its offshoot, the dystopia, are genres of literature that explore social and political structures. Utopian fiction is the creation of an ideal world, or utopia, as the setting for a novel. Dystopian fiction is the opposite: creation of a nightmare world, or dystopia. Many novels combine both, often as a metaphor for the different directions humanity can take in its choices, ending up with one of two possible futures. Both utopias and dystopias are commonly found in science fiction and other speculative fiction genres, and arguably are by definition a type of speculative fiction.

message 3: by Josie (new)

Josie | 1967 comments Oh wow. Thanks for the info! It seems my fave genre is speculative fiction, it looks like it covers nearly everything. Now when people ask what's my favourite genre I can say "speculative fiction" instead of "well probably urban fantasy, some straight fantasy, sci-fi, the occasional PNR, young-adult....." *goes for hours whilst person looks uncomfortable*

I don't know if you want this thread kept neat? Delete away Steph, if it is :)

message 4: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28236 comments You're welcome. I'll add more when I have time. No deleting; post away. :)

message 5: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Good to know re: Speculative Fiction. I always thought that was just another term for Alternate History. You know, the author is speculating "What if this happened instead of this?"

Guess I better go change my "Speculative Fiction" shelf to "Alternate History". ;)

message 6: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 1934 comments Josie wrote: "Oh wow. Thanks for the info! It seems my fave genre is speculative fiction, it looks like it covers nearly everything. Now when people ask what's my favourite genre I can say "speculative fiction" ..."

Lol, I think that fits a lot of us here in SOS. But then the next question is, what is speculative fiction, then you just have to run done the list anyways!

message 7: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28236 comments I kinda did too, LLL. Makes sense that way.

message 8: by Josie (last edited Jul 16, 2011 01:41AM) (new)

Josie | 1967 comments Vivian wrote: "Lol, I think that fits a lot of us here in SOS. But then the next question is, what is speculative fiction, then you just have to run done the list anyways! ..."

So true, lol! Oh well

message 9: by Laura Lulu (last edited Aug 01, 2011 09:17AM) (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Brutal Fantasy is a new one for me. So basically, it's Dark Fantasy with gratuitous violence? Or maybe not gratuitous, but the violence is graphic--other fantasy books may have violence, but the detail of it is glossed over. Is that it?

One of my fave sub-genres is Bizarro. Not that I've read any of it, I just love the name. Lol. But I do want to try it, I'm a fan of the bizarre. ;)

Here's the definition of Bizarro Fiction, per Wikipedia:

Bizarro fiction is a contemporary literary genre, which often utilizes elements of absurdism, satire, and the grotesque, along with pop-surrealism and genre fiction staples, in order to create subversive works that are as weird and entertaining as possible.

message 10: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28236 comments LOL I love that name too. Gotta find one of those to check out.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

That's interesting, Steph. So specfic doesn't include steam/cyberpunk? I always thought it did.

Brutal fantasy eh? Never knew that was a genre. I can't think of any books I've read that would fit into that.

It's interesting, how negative the phrase 'genre fiction' has become. Gives the 'serious' writers another handy collective noun to sneer at.

Here's the wikipedia list of genres that might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_...

Wuxia! I'm all over that.

message 12: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28236 comments Thanks for that link, Moss. Lots of info there. Gotta love this one:

Slice of Life

A story that might have no plot, but represents a portion of (everyday) life. See main article: Slice of life story.

Sounds like a diary or biography to me. Why the "special" genre name?

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Steph wrote: "Thanks for that link, Moss. Lots of info there. Gotta love this one:

Slice of Life

A story that might have no plot, but represents a portion of (everyday) life. See main article: Slice of life..."

hehe

So they could link to Seinfeld? Oooh wikipedia edit coming up.

Is it at all weird that under romance they've got three sub-categories of manga? Are we living under an umbrella category I wasn't aware of?

My other fave: Bildungsroman. I want to write one of those now, just so I can ask GR for the category.

message 14: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28236 comments Bildungsroman? LOL! Who comes up with these things?

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan Bizzaro always makes me think of Superman Comics!

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan are any of you OLD enough to remember that ?!?
LOL

message 17: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28236 comments Oh yeah :)

message 18: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Ditto!

message 19: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (last edited Sep 02, 2011 10:13PM) (new)

Sandra | 23491 comments Of course!

ETA: But I preferred The Phantom ;)

message 20: by Jlyates (new)

Jlyates | 32 comments I loved the Phantom also, VBG

I think those of us who read romances are being shortchanged.
Historical, Paranomral, Contemporary, Regency, Erotica, Western, and I am sure that there are others that fit into that field.

message 21: by Karin Elisabeth (new)

Karin Elisabeth (goodreadscomkarinelisabeth) | 151 comments Moss wrote: "Steph wrote: "Thanks for that link, Moss. Lots of info there. Gotta love this one:

Slice of Life

A story that might have no plot, but represents a portion of (everyday) life. See main article:..."

I think I can safely step in now because I finally recognize a word I understand: Bildungsroman is from classical German literature (very classical and very old). So believe me when I say you don't want to write that, you don't really want to read that and you might have difficulties finding fans of Goethe and Schiller on GR.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Karin Elisabeth wrote: "you might have difficulties finding fans of Goethe and Schiller on GR."

There's plenty of fans of both on GR.

message 23: by Karin Elisabeth (new)

Karin Elisabeth (goodreadscomkarinelisabeth) | 151 comments Moss wrote: "Karin Elisabeth wrote: "you might have difficulties finding fans of Goethe and Schiller on GR."

There's plenty of fans of both on GR."

There you see what prejudices do for you - they make you look like a fool!!

message 24: by Lynda (new)

Lynda I am very old fashioned about books. They are fiction or non-fiction or combinations of both.

I read almost everything.