The Atheist Book Club discussion

Atheism + Skepticism > Religious groups sue Houston VA for respecting families’ wishes

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 11, 2011 08:54PM) (new)

Imagine you are at a funeral for a fallen veteran, possibly your husband or wife or uncle, and cemetery volunteers begin publicly praying to their god despite the fact that your family doesn't share their beliefs. How would you feel? What would you do? Wouldn't you expect someone to tell them to stop, that this is a service for your family, not for the volunteers?

The VA does tell them to stop -- and is being sued for respecting the requests of family members at funerals.

More here: http://www.secularnewsdaily.com/2011/...

message 2: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK This reminds me of the time in my youth when nurses came to patients' beds to pray for them. It annoyed the hell out of my mother and myself and fortunately it was stopped during the 1960s. Religionistas just do not seem to understand how intrusive atheists find this sort of behaviour. Would we go to their bedsides or funeral services to pray' that they become atheists or that they join a certain political party?

message 3: by Christos (new)

Christos Tsotsos | 55 comments Personaly I would not care if someone does pray for me if I am in my deathbed, but I would expect them not to do it if they are asked to.

message 4: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy I think I'll tell my veterans group that if I die and anyone prays for me, I'm going to haunt their freaking veterans asses.

message 5: by Melki (last edited Jul 13, 2011 06:07AM) (new)

Melki | 211 comments Well, if you don't want us to pray over your remains, perhaps you'd prefer this:

http://www.odditycentral.com/travel/t...

(Takes a while to load...be patient!)

message 6: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy It won't do me much good dead, but I'd like to try it for all of my other friends and family members.

message 7: by Melki (new)

Melki | 211 comments What a considerate corpse you'll make! Pretty much guarantees they'll always remember you.

message 8: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK I'm happy to rot in a grave, feeding the wildlife and greenery around me:).