Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

Which book character....

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (new)

Theresa would you like to be? Have you ever found one whose life you would like to inhabit? And would you change the plot or live it out as written?

message 2: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Good question Theresa. Looking at my all time favorites...

Not sure I'd want to be someone specific but would love to be a character in a..
Jonathan Tropper, Michelle Richmond, Marian Keyes, Christopher Moore book. Best friend or where ever I'd fit in.

I really do like Izzy Spellman from the Lisa Lutz series.

message 3: by Melki (new)

Melki Aaaa! I was gonna say Izzy Spellman. But if you wanna be her, Gretchen, I'll be her sister Rae.

message 4: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (caro7) I would like to be Alice from The Magicians, but I would change the plot a bit toward the end. Don't want to give anything away, so I won't get specific. It would be cool to be able to do magic, especially the way Alice does, and to have her experiences.

message 5: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Stephanie Plum. How carefree and fun to be her.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) I would love to be Bennie Rosato. She is smart, athletic and adventurous.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy That's a really hard question. I have so many characters I've fallen in love with over the years, I don't think I could pick just one.

message 8: by Theresa (new)

Theresa I'm not sure who I'd choose, either. Sometimes I think the carefree and fun Stephanie Plum would be great (though I've never read those books!), but I gravitate toward Scarlett O'Hara and Jane Eyre. And I'd change the plot as I went along.

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (yellowbergamot) | 9 comments Anne of Green Gables, Rilla of Ingleside, Elizabeth Bennett, Grace and Glory from The Mountains of Spices, Lucy from the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, ..ok can't pick one...haha

message 10: by Melki (new)

Melki Ah...I love Anne too! My first literary "crush" was Pippi Longstocking, so between the two of them, it's a wonder I don't have orange hair braided into pigtails!

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments LOL! I'm laughing, Melki, because my first "literary crush" was either Black Beauty or Walter Farley's Black Stallion or Island Stallion. I was obviously a major horse lover as a kid and ran around whinnying all the time. (How did my mom get through my childhood??) It's hard for me to come up with a (human) character I'd like to be, at least on a long-term basis. I don't read a lot of series books so rarely get entrenched in one particular character. I'll keep thinking about this and maybe I'll come up with someone.

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather Doherty | 96 comments As a kid I would have chosen Laura Ingalls hands down. She had lots of travel and adventures and lived in the past, where things are different. Today I would choose Claire Fraser, for similar reasons, with the added bonus of a super-sexy Scot for a husband.

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (yellowbergamot) | 9 comments It seems like kids have the most outlandish adventures in books. They seem to have more mystery and possibilities, so I'm drawn to them. I did think of an adult though...Elena Clovis from "The Fairy Godmother" by Mercedes Lackey. That was such a fun book.

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (yellowbergamot) | 9 comments Mary that's awesome. I love picturing a little girl running around whinnying. Did you ever read "Time Stops for No Mouse", by Michael Hoeye? I haven't read more in the series, but the first one was so fun.

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (yellowbergamot) | 9 comments Laura Ingalls was pretty impressive. So determined and smart and brave. Good pick. Claire Fraser definitely had a ton of adventures! My Grandma lent me "Drums of Autumn", and I read it and thought...whew Grandma! There is some steamy stuff in there! I loved the whole time travel scenario in it. That is a favorite daydream.

message 16: by Melki (new)

Melki Jessica, have you ever read any of Karen Cushman's historical fiction/young adult books? All of them feature strong female characters. My favorite was "The Midwife's Apprentice".

message 17: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (yellowbergamot) | 9 comments Melki wrote: "Jessica, have you ever read any of Karen Cushman's historical fiction/young adult books? All of them feature strong female characters. My favorite was "The Midwife's Apprentice"."

I haven't read that one, but I think I own "Catherine, called Birdy". I may have given it to the library though. It was fun. Hopefully I didn't give it away, as I'm trying to keep books for my kids to read. It can get kinda ridiculous though when you have boxes and piles of books lying around.

message 18: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 95 comments You all have good choices!

I like the Marian Keys characters and Christopher Moore.
Also like Stephanie Plum, Anne of Green Gables and Laura Ingalls Wilder..

So all of those plus maybe just Sookie Stackhouse for a day but not longer than that because that girl gets into trouble. But I'd love a day with Eric...

Also it would be fun to be Hermione Granger for a day.

too many choices!

message 19: by Melki (new)

Melki Sookie sure does seem to get the crap pounded out of her in every book! Glad I can't read people's minds!

message 20: by Theresa (new)

Theresa I just read that the Sookie Stackhouse series will be coming to an end after two more books. I've only read one and have not seen the cable series.

message 21: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) I think Sookie is good fun! I'm only on the third I think. Try to get one in a year. Like to make them last.

Series is pretty good too will have to get on on DVD I don't get HBO any more. :(

message 22: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Leslie wrote: "You all have good choices!

I like the Marian Keys characters and Christopher Moore.
Also like Stephanie Plum, Anne of Green Gables and Laura Ingalls Wilder..

So all of those plus maybe just Sooki..."

Yes Leslie Marian Keyes!!! I can relate to her characters!! Was just telling one of my daughters she needs to read Rachel's Holiday. She is very smilar to Rachel!!! She would have that exact same attitude going into rehab. lol Hopefully she will never need to but she is a bit of a hypochondriac so...

That said if she ever reads that she'll need more therapy. *sigh* Like I said can relate to her characthers.

message 23: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (caro7) Theresa wrote: "I just read that the Sookie Stackhouse series will be coming to an end after two more books. I've only read one and have not seen the cable series."

Yeah. I am very sad about this. Very. These books are my guilty pleasure; I have read them all, and I watch the show too (though the show has changed and elaborated on a lot that is in the books). I don't think the story will end as I want it too if Harris wraps everything up in only two more books. I am so disappointed.

On a side note, I could like being Sookie, but only to have two hot vampires fighting over me. :D I could do without the mind-reading and near-constant physical attacks from all manner of enemies.