Q&A with Sara C. Roethle discussion

Reading Talk

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara Roethle (saracroethle) | 22 comments Mod
Talk about books. My books, other people's books...yay books!

message 2: by Sara (new)

Nobody's posting in reading talk! So I'll just talk to myself. Right now I'm reading Push/Precious. I'm not sure exactly which one I'm reading. The cover has a picture of the movie on it, but also says that both Push and Precious are included.
Anywho, it's quite good regardless of what it's called. I put off seeing the movie for a long time (usually the movies that get all the hype are HORRIBLE), but I was bored, and stuck in dreary New York, so I watched in on Netflix instant play. Let me tell you, that movie is MESSED UP, but really, really good. So, thanks to my muffin cakes, I was reminded that the movie was based on a book that she had checked out of the tiny trailer library near us. Soooo now I'm reading it. It is INTENSE. Like camping...sorry, I just can't help the word play.

message 3: by Natasha (new)

Natasha (natashaisme) | 2 comments Sounds like a great read. I am not sure if you have kids or teens but if you do or did what age would you allow them to read this book? I ask because I have a 14 yr old girl that I like to get books for. I also am a reading coordinator which mean I recommend and purchase books for a district here in Utah where I live. About 200 schools ranging in k-12. I would love to come across some new good reads over the summer so I can have the JR high and high school libraries updated with the BEST!!! books of course! (: I would love to read your books, Sara. I have read many good things about XOE. (My daughters name is Zoey) I am not sure if you have any other books, do you? Hey just a thought but maybe you could start a chat board "calling on authors" or something like that for authors that might want book reviews. The YA group has one and I have a read a few books that way. (:

message 4: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Luminais (mandylum) | 4 comments Haven't read Push, and I probably won't since it's not exactly the genre I read. I absolutely love love love Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy novels, and I'm writing my first Urban Fantasy series as we speak, yay! The title of the series is Transcendence (haven't come up with a title for Book 1 yet), and it's going very well. I only have 13,000 words complete, but it's moving along faster than I expected. Hopefully I'll be done by the end of the year (I'm a little slow since my heart failure).

I am currently reading Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood #3) by J.R. Ward, but I am totally obsessed with my most recent read, Hard Spell by Justin Gustainis. OMG, it was one of the best novels I have ever read - a Paranormal Crime novel, what could be better than that?!? It was super exciting, full of mystery and comedy, and I couldn't put it down. It only took me 2 days to read it and I'm not a speed reader. You should get your hands on a copy - release date is July 26th!

message 5: by Sara (new)

@Natasha That would all depend on what you deem appropriate. I don't have any kids, and I was pretty much left to my own devices as far as reading and whatnot growing up. Push has a very inspirational message about learning and not letting people bring you down, but it also includes ample cursing, scenes of incestual rape, and a great deal of disturbing imagery.
My books on the other hand are great for all ages...just sayin ;). Shameless self-promotion aside, yes, I recently came out with a second book, a sequel to Xoe, and am hard at work on the third.
The chat board is definitely a good idea that I will look into doing. I've mainly just had people come across my page and message me directly. As a self-published author, I know how difficult it can be to get word of your books out there.

@Mandy Yeah, I've been branching out of my preferred genre quite a bit (mainly since I've been reading several books a week and I just can't find enough!) So I'll definitely be looking into your recommendations. I've been meaning to read some J.R. Ward for a while, as I've heard many good things, so perhaps I'll start there ;). And congrats! 13,000 words is no meager feat. Are you going to publish it when you are through?

message 6: by Misty (new)

Misty (mistyspeer) I have read all of the Black Dagger Brotherhood books by J.R. Ward and loved them and I am eagerly awaiting the next book in that series. Another book that I loved, loved and HIGHLY recommend is First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones. Darynda's next book, Second Grave on the Left comes out soon and I can't wait. I enjoy reading series and am looking forward to reading Xoe along with the next book as well.

message 7: by Natasha (new)

Natasha (natashaisme) | 2 comments I know I really want to read it to Misty! I hope I win the giveaway for it. I am really excited to read it. Specially being suitable for all ages. Thats is hard to come by when you shop for k-12 libraries. When we come across a good book I usually buy at least 200 copies so there is 1 in each library.

I wanted to read the Black Dagger series but I wasn't really sure I would like all all the sex that I have heard it is full with. Also I rarely get to read a book that I want to for me, just not enough hours in the day. But I really should. I am always reading and really enjoy it but it is usually to find books for the libraries.

message 8: by Sara (new)

Yay for new recommendations! @Natasha I know how that goes. I do a lot of editing work. It's just somehow not as fun when you HAVE to read a book, regardless of how good it is. That's always been my problem in College. Instead of the assigned reading, I read all the books that I want, then when I read the assigned stuff after the fact, I realize how awesome it is, and wonder why I just didn't read it when I could have gotten credit for it.

message 9: by Misty (new)

Misty (mistyspeer) @Natasha, the Black Dagger series does have a lot of sex, I mean its not full of it but some of the books have more than others. At the same time the story line is really great and that is what really won me out with the books and I really enjoy J.R. Ward's writing.
@Sara, I remember so many books in High School that I skimmed through or didn't read at all because its not what I wanted to read or I did not think it would be interesting. One book that comes to mind is To Kill a Mockingbird...I could have cared less about reading that and then I finally decided to read it and I loved it. It's one of my favorite books now. Needless to say I started to pick up and read books I never thought would interest me and of course I end up really liking them. Now I read whatever I can and figure if I dont like it I will find out when I read it instead of assuming beforehand.

message 10: by Sara (new)

@Misty agreed. It was kind of difficult for me to transition to the classics after all of my Laurell K. and Kim Harrison, but they are classics for a reason (most of them anyway...I still stand by the fact that the Lord of the Rings is the most boring book ever).

message 11: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Luminais (mandylum) | 4 comments If you like urban fantasy/dark fantasy books, you have to check out my interview with Justin Gustainis, author of Hard Spell. And don't miss the book trailer at the end of the interview. This was one of the best books I have ever read, so I had to share the love!

Here's the link:

Justin Gustainis Interview & Hard Spell Book Trailer

message 12: by Sara (new)

Sweet I love mysteries :). Awesome blogspot btw.