The Atheist Book Club discussion

Atheism + Skepticism > How Fundamentalist Religion Is Destroying the World

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

The deluded religious belief that any people or nation or church is a "chosen" people is the root of almost all our troubles.

More here: http://www.alternet.org/story/151505/...

message 2: by George (new)

George King (kinggeorge) | 141 comments A great article!

message 3: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy The article mentioned Michelle Bachman. Her husband "cures" homosexuals and just made a comment about how God made men's eyes to appreciate women, including their breasts. I'm sure more will be coming out about it.

message 4: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Sounds overly simplistic to me. And he believes in God?

message 5: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy Of course.

message 6: by Cora (new)

Cora Judd (corajudd) | 163 comments "....ideological atheism led by the likes of Stalin, Hitler." What does this mean? I thought both were Catholics; Stalin practicing and Hitler believing.

message 7: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK Betsy wrote: "Sounds overly simplistic to me. And he believes in God?"

I agree Betsy. And as Cora intimates Stalin was trained in a Russian Orthodox Seminary and Hitler was a practicing catholic, as was Himmler, the 'architect' of the Final Solution. Religious people are forever putting that myth about to discredit atheists and to cover up the fact that catholicism, in particular, facilitated the Final Solution. It is significant that most of the death camps were in catholic countries and the executions were carried out by those brought up as catholics.

message 8: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendywins) | 17 comments Lindsay wrote: "Jimmy wrote: "The article mentioned Michelle Bachman. Her husband "cures" homosexuals and just made a comment about how God made men's eyes to appreciate women, including their breasts. I'm sure m..."
Must have that clip!!If you find it ,please post it.!

message 10: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendywins) | 17 comments THANKS, Jimmy.

message 11: by MadgeUK (last edited Jul 13, 2011 10:03AM) (new)

MadgeUK Good grief! And subsidised by the government:(:(. Protest!

Is this likely to harm Bachman's candidacy or are fundies likely to back her?

message 12: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendywins) | 17 comments She has no chance, I think of winning a general election. The R's are having to contend with her in their primary and she will do well in certain benighted areas but is a laughingstock in others..and am sure many are trying to find sane alternatives who still are "conservative" or "business oriented".

message 13: by Martha (new)

Martha | 7 comments Jimmy wrote: "The article mentioned Michelle Bachman. Her husband "cures" homosexuals and just made a comment about how God made men's eyes to appreciate women, including their breasts. I'm sure more will be com..."

And you recall where that's thoroughly discussed in the Gospels along with abortion, gay marriage, and never raising taxes.

message 14: by Martha (last edited Jul 13, 2011 01:51PM) (new)

Martha | 7 comments Wendy wrote: "She has no chance, I think of winning a general election. The R's are having to contend with her in their primary and she will do well in certain benighted areas but is a laughingstock in others....."
Watch out, folks, Rick Perry's coming.

message 15: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendywins) | 17 comments Obama raised 47 million for his reelection bid thus far and that is considerably more than any of the R contenders and THEY will have opponents in their primary.