High School Counseling, coun525 discussion

Fitting In

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terri (new)

Terri Court | 25 comments If Junior came in to see you after starting at Reardon and expressed that he didn't feel like he belonged because he didn't feel like Indians deserved (pg. 56) to be there, how would you help him?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Sorenson | 20 comments It would be a difficult situation. Possibly setting Junior up with a peer group to help him feel welcome. I also think that Junior needs to dig into his culture in order to help raise his pride in his Native American Culture.

message 3: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Adrian | 20 comments I think that Junior would definately be a good candidate for a friendship group. I also would try to see his areas of strengths and try to run with that. If teachers knew that he loved math, they could help him with his self-confidence through that. I also would ask him to share a little more about that and help dispell any myths that he feels about his culture defining who he is.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Solberg | 41 comments i would let him know that everyone is welcome here and that if he has any issues he needs to come to me so that I can stop them immediately. Also it would be smart to pull in those students that are causing trouble and talk to them about their behavior and tell their parents.