Dumbledore's Army discussion

Your Suggestions, Opinions, etc. > What do you think about HP fanfiction?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Roshio (new)

Roshio | 17 comments My friend and I are big Potter fans and we always argue about fanfiction. She says she's obviously the bigger fan because she can't bear to read anything but Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling. I argue that I'm obviously the bigger fan as I love the stories so much, I'm willing to read great fanfiction, anything to jump back into the world of Harry Potter. We've never really decided who was right, so we've agreed to disagree.

I'm just wondering what people here think of fanfiction? Do you think fanfiction belittles Harry Potter or enhances the experience altogether?
(p.s. I hope I posted this in the right section!)

~*Just Slytherin Along w/ The Creatures*~ (Patrick Swayze's lover) (thejsaway) YES! I LOVE IT!! I actually write it. I have a made up character and she's so into detail that she could be a part of the books! But I change the storyline SLIGHTLY. But yeah, that's all I really write.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't have an opinion on it...I don't read it, but some of my friends do, and I think you can read it if you want, if you enjoy it, or not read it because...I dont know why. But I don't think it makes anyone a bigger fan, or enhances the experience at all. Maybe it does though. Do people write their opinions on what happened in unexplained parts?

message 4: by Roshio (new)

Roshio | 17 comments Yeah authors write anything they want regarding unexplained parts (or even explained parts). It can be very different from the actual books, but still recognisable as HP (if done well). I don't actually think I'm a bigger fan for reading fanfictions, we just like to argue I think. :P

message 5: by AJ, ready to bring back the action (new)

AJ (aj3books) | 4235 comments Mod
Roshio wrote: "My friend and I are big Potter fans and we always argue about fanfiction. She says she's obviously the bigger fan because she can't bear to read anything but Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling. I a..."

I think you're both fans of Harry Potter. You can read other books and still come back to Harry Potter. It doesn't mean that you can't read otehr books

message 6: by Kate*~FlyingOnABroom~*, ~*Never*Knows*What*To*Write*Here*~...*sighs* (last edited Jul 15, 2011 05:20PM) (new)

Kate*~FlyingOnABroom~* (bookluver2000) | 1908 comments Mod
Nikos~HP Finale coming soon! Going as Snape =) wrote: "I don't have an opinion on it...I don't read it, but some of my friends do, and I think you can read it if you want, if you enjoy it, or not read it because...I dont know why. But I don't think it ..."

Thanks for reading my mind!

message 7: by Frances (new)

Frances I started reading the books and HP fanfics when I was 11 so the amount of time I spent with each is relatively the same. I love fanfiction since it made me realize there are some incredible writers out there who write amazing stories which..i'm sorry to say..are MUCH better than some published works. I suppose I nvr thought of HP fanfics as strictly HP more like...I've found another author to love....aka fanfictions are frigin awesome

message 8: by AJ, ready to bring back the action (new)

Kate(a.k.a Hannah) wrote: "Nikos~HP Finale coming soon! Going as Snape =) wrote: "I don't have an opinion on it...I don't read it, but some of my friends do, and I think you can read it if you want, if you enjoy it, or not r..."

haha

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Kate(a.k.a Hannah) wrote: "Nikos~HP Finale coming soon! Going as Snape =) wrote: "I don't have an opinion on it...I don't read it, but some of my friends do, and I think you can read it if you want, if you enjoy it, or not r..."

Ummm, you're welcome? =) haha
I'm rereading the books before the premiere...stayed up until 5:30 am reading yesterday. So I only have two left! Yay... I'm gonna be falling asleep during the movie =(

message 10: by AJ, ready to bring back the action (new)

no you won't. you'll be WAY excited

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh yeah! Im gonna be up soo late tonight.wednesday tomorrow/today! good! i have to get up early Thursday.

message 12: by AJ, ready to bring back the action (new)

why? the movie starts Friday morning

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I have golf lessons =\ then they end at 11:00, and I can go and get my costume on, straighten my hair, and by the time that's done we'll be ready to go to the theatre.

message 14: by AJ, ready to bring back the action (new)

ohhhhh....srry

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I like golf! These are just kinda boring. no actual golfing. Blah! And 11 a.m. In case it wasn't clear enough...but it'll be 1 hour+ to straighten my hair, then half an hour for dinner and lunch...probably another hour to finish my costume, maybe an extra 15 minutes for the Dark Mark. So then it would be about 2:00. But I wouldn't start it right away, so by 8:00 I night just be finishing.

message 16: by AJ, ready to bring back the action (new)

oh, my costume is easy. my mom is going to do the eye make-up and my friend has our masks

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I have to make mine still =\

~*Just Slytherin Along w/ The Creatures*~ (Patrick Swayze's lover) (thejsaway) mine's already made and i just have to put on the dark mark tatoo

message 19: by AJ, ready to bring back the action (new)

yahz

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

My mom's gonna draw the Dark Mark. It's hard to draw upside down on your own arm.

message 21: by AJ, ready to bring back the action (new)

it is?

message 23: by AJ, ready to bring back the action (new)

i didnt know

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Well the snake goes down towards you wrist, so you'd have to draw it one-handed upside down

message 26: by AJ, ready to bring back the action (new)

yah, so????? it's on your left hand right? Wait are you right handed? IM SO CONFUSED!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, I'm right-handed but I'm bad at drawing in the first place and it's awkward to draw a confusing shape upside down on your arm...does that explain anything? =\

message 28: by AJ, ready to bring back the action (new)

oh...okay...

message 30: by AJ, ready to bring back the action (new)

:)

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I've never really looked into fanfiction, but some of the ones I read are awful. Seriously, it's like they've never read the books at all. Not to be mean, but some people who write this stuff have no talent at all in this area. And lot's of people have bad grammar when they write it, so that also drives me insane. I prefer the real stuff, because sometimes fanfiction ruins the books for me...

But I love reading the Harry Potter Wiki. It's all I've been doing this past week.

message 32: by AJ, ready to bring back the action (new)

i know!

message 33: by Pandy (new)

Pandy | 637 comments Nikos~Goodbye, HarryPotter, you were my life wrote: "I don't have an opinion on it...I don't read it, but some of my friends do, and I think you can read it if you want, if you enjoy it, or not read it because...I dont know why. But I don't think it ..."

I agree. Personally I don't care to read it. I'm not saying that it's all poorly imagined or written, but I prefer to stick to the original author's work. I know that might sound a bit close minded, but I'd rather read something else entirely than fanfiction concerning something I've already read. I don't think that makes me a bigger fan than someone who enjoys fanfiction. I understand that some authors feel possesive of their characters and ideas (not JKR, I know), but I think people are perfectly within their right to imagine stories beyond what's given (but not for profit, of course).

message 34: by AJ, ready to bring back the action (new)

I LOVED THE MOVIE

message 35: by Kate*~FlyingOnABroom~*, ~*Never*Knows*What*To*Write*Here*~...*sighs* (new)

Nikos~Goodbye, HarryPotter, you were my life wrote: "Yeah, I'm right-handed but I'm bad at drawing in the first place and it's awkward to draw a confusing shape upside down on your arm...does that explain anything? =\"

haha, yes. :)

message 36: by Kate*~FlyingOnABroom~*, ~*Never*Knows*What*To*Write*Here*~...*sighs* (new)

Pandy wrote: "Nikos~Goodbye, HarryPotter, you were my life wrote: "I don't have an opinion on it...I don't read it, but some of my friends do, and I think you can read it if you want, if you enjoy it, or not rea..."

exactly. Now a days I find agreeing with people is much easier than writing your own comments. :p

message 37: by AJ, ready to bring back the action (new)

k

message 38: by Kate*~FlyingOnABroom~*, ~*Never*Knows*What*To*Write*Here*~...*sighs* (new)

:)

message 39: by AJ, ready to bring back the action (new)

(:

message 40: by AJ, ready to bring back the action (new)

oh

message 41: by Kate*~FlyingOnABroom~*, ~*Never*Knows*What*To*Write*Here*~...*sighs* (new)

MiaNicole 秦依凝 wrote: "I love fan fiction, but the bigger fan will critique writers who have the wrong facts-like me. That's what the review button is for!"

agreed. Except I don't like fanfiction, I don't know why ...

message 42: by AJ, ready to bring back the action (new)

yeah

message 43: by Kasha (new)

Kasha | 10 comments I love Harry Potter fan fiction. I started reading it when I was about 10-11. At first I started reading it just to get my Potter fix in between book publishing.
Now I read to keep the magic alive, that and I'm addicted.

message 44: by AJ, ready to bring back the action (new)

Hha:)

message 45: by AJ, ready to bring back the action (new)

no[e

message 46: by Robin (new)

Robin I love Harry Potter fan fiction! Occasionally I try to write some of my own.

message 47: by Kate*~FlyingOnABroom~*, ~*Never*Knows*What*To*Write*Here*~...*sighs* (new)

MiaNicole 秦依凝 wrote: "For some unknown reason my newest obsession is Lily Luna Potter.... Oh has anyone ever heard of My Immortal?"

In the immortal series?

message 48: by AJ, ready to bring back the action (new)

i love those!

message 49: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Hubbard (lynnhubbard) | 4 comments I love fanfiction! esp HG&SS ;-)

message 50: by AJ, ready to bring back the action (new)

Hunger Games and .....

« previous 1