Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2012 Challenge Archive > One Book For Each Genre! (2011-2012)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 589 (589 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

message 1: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Jul 15, 2011 07:25PM) (new)

Fran | 11275 comments I dare you to read ONE book from each genre!

RULES: Please read before deciding to participate.

*Make sure to pick your selection carefully, for you will not be able to change the books once we get started. Though you may pick which genre you want to read, at any time, for whatever month you want.

*Duration:
11 months (July 30, 2011 - June 30, 2012)

*Discussion: Have you tried this genre before? What did you think about this book/author?

*We start on July, but anybody is welcome to join us at any time. Late comers will have to finish along with us though, no extra time.

*Romance is a sub-genre, so as long as you pick a book that fits the genres stated below, you may pick whatever other subgenre you prefer.

*Lets use the honor system. I will trust that you will comply and not change the books once we get started. When you finish a book(s), you can make a post here of what book you finished and write the discussion topic below each title; as finished with your chosen category for the month.

*If you finish more than one book in a single month. You can skip the following month(s), if that is your wish. You're also welcome to add a book(s), as long as the book(s) you're adding fall under the same genre category you finished early.

*We are allowed to change ONE book in our list, if you have read at least 3 chapters and can explain WHY you cannot keep reading it. Make sure you let me know in the thread, before you change it.

For the Optional/Bonus categories-

If you post your Optional/Bonus books at the start of the challenge then you may read them at any time during the challenge, no need to wait until the first 9 genres are completed.

If you don't post the Optional/Bonus books at the start of the challenge, you may still add them at any time, but you may not read them until after the first 9 genres are completed.

message 2: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Aug 15, 2011 12:18PM) (new)

Fran | 11275 comments *Pick 1 book that will fit each of these genres, using Romance as a sub-genre. You must try them all to participate!

Contemporary:
Erotic OR BDSM:
GLBT:
Historical OR Regency:
Paranormal OR Fantasy:
Suspense OR Mystery:
Women's Fiction OR Chick-lit:
Chick lit is a sub-genre of women's fiction which addresses issues of modern women often humorously and lightheartedly, in an urban setting. Although women's fiction as well as chick-lit are targeted towards female readers, women's fiction contains heavier or in-depth subject. "It’s like having a best friend tell you about her life. Or watching various characters go through things that you have gone through yourself, or witnessed others going through."-CLBs
World Lit/International: ie. set solely in a country not your own, revolves around the country's culture, myths or beliefs.
Young Adult:

*OPTIONAL/BONUS Categories:
Classic:
Book you would consider a classic of its genre or literary classic.
Memoir OR Non-fiction:
Thriller OR Horror:
Religious OR Inspirational:
Speculative Fiction OR Dystopia:
Graphic Novel/Manga:

Moderator Note:
If you need help with any of the categories, and need recommendations. Click to this suggestion thread for answers to your question(s) and assistance:http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6...

message 3: by Gigi (new)

Gigi | 1149 comments YAYYY *Gigi's doing the happy dance*! Thanks for doing this Fran!

I'll post shortly!

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments Yay!!! List to follow - can we do like last year and split up dual categories if we want?

message 5: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11275 comments Sure Dee, sounds good.

message 6: by Rossy (last edited Aug 15, 2011 02:50PM) (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments *Progress: 1
*Duration: 11 months (July 30, 2011 - June 30, 2012)

Contemporary: Too Hot To Touch
Erotic & BDSM: Sweet Possession & Finding Eden
GLBT: Talker
Historical & Regency: Simply Love & My Fair Captain
Paranormal & Fantasy: Dark Predator & Tangle of Need
Suspense: Hard Evidence
Women's Fiction & Chick-lit: When Venus Fell & Jackpot!
World Lit/International: The A-z Guide to Arranged Marriage & Ruptured
Young Adult: Chain Reaction

Classic: Walsh series, starting with Watermelon. A chick-lit classic IMHO!
Manga:

Too Hot To Touch (Rising Star Chef #1) by Louisa Edwards Chain Reaction (Perfect Chemistry, #3) by Simone Elkeles When Venus Fell by Deborah Smith Talker (Talker, #1) by Amy Lane Sweet Possession (Sweet, #5) by Maya Banks Dark Predator (Carpathians, #22) by Christine Feehan Hard Evidence (I-Team, #2) by Pamela Clare Simply Love by Catherine Anderson My Fair Captain (Sci-Regency Series, #1) by J.L. Langley Jackpot! by Jackie Pilossoph The A-z Guide to Arranged Marriage by Rekha Waheed Ruptured by Tarek Refaat Watermelon (Walsh Family, #1) by Marian Keyes Finding Eden (Eden, #2) by Kele Moon

*Discussion: Have you tried this genre before? What did you think about this book/author?

message 7: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20722 comments I want to do this, but Chicklit/women's fiction is SO not my thing. If I can work out that category - I'm in!! Fun fun fun :) Thanks Fran!

message 8: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11275 comments Do it Jane!! I will find you a great chick-lit book, I promise!

message 9: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Come on Jane, you know you want to...just give in. I'll give you a Jane approve chick-lit book that i know you'll love for sure too! I read a lot of that genre so i have plenty in my shelves.

message 10: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Jul 13, 2011 01:42AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 20722 comments LOL! Ok ok ok - give me some recs and I'm in. :)

(Too many of the h's are too stupid to live - please - no stupid h's!! ;)

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments I vote women's lit not chick-lit ;)

message 12: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments I'm going to post them in the suggestion thread Jane.

Chick-lit and women's lit, tend to blur at times. I'm actually recommending some that are within that gray area...where it could be considered chick-lit or women's lit. I don't think she would be able to stomach a full-on chick-lit heroine. Goddess knows even i can't at times.LOL

message 13: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20722 comments I'm heading on over there to check them out... Thanks Rossy :)

message 14: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) Fran, that sounds really fun and I am in!! I really have to work hard for this list...

message 15: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11275 comments Yay Nida! We will have lots more suggestions to help you out coming up in the suggestion thread.

message 16: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments I'm in too. But I need some good recs for the World Lit. I will wait for Dee's recs before finalizing my list.

message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments I just put up a bunch of World Lit rec's...the first list are all ones i've read - the second list is from
Rossy's international shelf - i've read a few but not the majority

message 18: by Dee (last edited Jul 20, 2011 01:25PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments list pending

Contemporary: Just the Sexiest Man Alive
Erotic: Raine
BDSM: Ice Queen
GLBT: Divide and Conquer (not in GR yet) - available in December - per authors
Historical: Burning Tigress
Regency: A Secret Affair
Paranormal: Immortal Rider - to be released in December
Fantasy: Drink Deep (Urban Fantasy) - to be released in November
Suspense: Breaking the Rules (romantic suspense)
Mystery: In the Bleak Midwinter
Women's Fiction: Night Road
Chick-lit: The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing
World Lit/International: Wife of the Gods: A Novel (Ghana, Africa)
Young Adult: Bumped

Classic: Agnes Grey
Memoir: Zoya's Story: An Afghan Woman's Struggle for Freedom
Non-fiction: Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything
Thriller: Fallen (shelved by 11 as thriller)
Horror: Let the Right One in
Speculative Fiction: 11/22/63: A Novel (alternate history) - to be released in November
Dystopia: Crossed - to be released in November/December

message 19: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Jul 15, 2011 08:48AM) (new)

Fran | 11275 comments OOOOH Dee, you have upped the bar by separating the genres in the madatory list- I am going to do that too! maybe?

message 20: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments I did that last time and still came within 1 book of finishing because I didn't like the YA and kept forgetting to post and request to change

message 21: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11275 comments Dee wrote: "I did that last time and still came within 1 book of finishing because I didn't like the YA and kept forgetting to post and request to change"

What YA was it? I am going with one that is the last in a trilogy that I have really liked so far so hopefully I won't have any issues with it.

message 22: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments it wasn't a popular one...it was something by a big name author under another name that I got as a kindle freebie

message 23: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1281 comments I am in! Thanks for hosting, Fran!

message 24: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11275 comments Thanks for joining Gigi, Rossy, Dee, Jane, Nida, Vi, and Sandy! So glad you are going to give it a whirl- can't wait to start on the 30th :)

message 25: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20722 comments Nice group! :) This will be fun! I'll post my list tomorrow...

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 561 comments Dare You To Read - One Book For Each Genre (Round 2)

30th July '11 to 30th June '12

Contemporary:
High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
Erotic: The Vampire Queen's Servant by Joey W. Hill
GLBT: Out of Bounds by T.A. Chase
Historical: Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks
Fantasy: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Suspense: Killing Floor by Lee Child
Chick-lit: Undead and Unpopular by MaryJanice Davidson
World Lit: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
Young Adult: Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

Classic: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Memoir: Moab Is My Washpot by Stephen Fry
Horror: Let the Right One in by John Ajvide Lindqvist
Inspirational: Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
Dystopia: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

My attempt last year was terrible - so I must do better this time around!!! Hopefully I've been a little bit more realistic with my choices.

message 27: by Aimie (last edited Jul 16, 2011 08:40PM) (new)

Aimie (aim4theneck) | 54 comments Ok, I'm gonna give this ago. I'm not good at finishing these challenges but I'm sure I can do this in 11 months. I'll work out my list to post before we start. :)

Whats GLBT? It may be really obvious but I'm blonde and often suffer those Blonde moments.

message 28: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20722 comments Hoping Fran doesn't mind, but I'll jump in and say:

GLBT is Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transexual - so any book which involves one of those sort of 'couples' (I'm guessing they could also be threesomes etc).

Please clarify as required Fran :)

message 29: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Jul 17, 2011 12:28AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 20722 comments OK - Here's my list, still awaiting some refinement before 30 June. Let me know if I have any categorisation issues... :)

Completed: 0/12

1. Contemporary: Just the Sexiest Man Alive
2. Erotic: Roane
3. GLBT: Faith & Fidelity or Caught Running
4. Historical: Miss Wonderful or Mystique
5. Paranormal: Wild Fire
6. Suspense: Murder Game (I'm up to the same book Fran, so I thought I'd join you :)
7. Women's Fiction: And One Last Thing ... (And with this one Fran! I'm such a copy cat ;)
8. World Literature: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
9. Young Adult: City of Ashes

Bonus:
10. Classic: The Great Gatsby
11. Memoir: Lonely for my Land
12. Dystopia: Animal Farm

message 30: by Aimie (new)

Aimie (aim4theneck) | 54 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Hoping Fran doesn't mind, but I'll jump in and say:

GLBT is Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transexual - so any book which involves one of those sort of 'couples' (I'm guessing they could also be threesom..."

Thanks Jane. :)

message 31: by Aimie (new)

Aimie (aim4theneck) | 54 comments Ok Here is my list. Feel free to let me know if some aren't suitable, and I'll change them. TA.

Complete 0/9

Contemporary- Fools Rush In by Janice Thompson
Erotica- Kiss of Crimson by Lara Adrian
GLBT- Lord John and the Hand of Devils by Diana Gabaldon
Historical- The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel
Paranormal or Fantasy- Night Embrace by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Suspence- Die Trying by Lee Child
Women's Fiction or Chick Lit- Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson
World Lit- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
Young Adult- Forever by Maggie Stiefvater
Fools Rush In (Weddings by Bella, #1) by Janice Thompson Kiss of Crimson (Midnight Breed, #2) by Lara Adrian Lord John and the Hand of Devils by Diana Gabaldon The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children, #1) by Jean M. Auel Night Embrace (Dark-Hunter, #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Die Trying (Jack Reacher, #2) by Lee Child Undead and Unwed (Undead, #1) by MaryJanice Davidson The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

message 32: by Wan (last edited Aug 02, 2011 08:40AM) (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 2081 comments I'm in. Cake!

Dare You To Read - One Book For Each Genre (Round 2)
0/9 completed

1.Contemporary: Hot Finish by Erin McCarthy
2.Erotic : Broken Wings by Lora Leigh
3. GLBT: Cut & Run by Madeleine Urban
4.Historical: The Wild Rose by Jennifer Donnelly
5.Paranormal: Kiss of Midnight by Lara Adrian
6. Suspense/Mystery: Zinnia by Jayne Castle
7.Chick-lit: Hard Day's Knight by Katie MacAlister
8.International(Hungary): The Darkest Surrender by Gena Showalter
9.Young Adult: Glass Houses by Rachel Caine

Hot Finish (Fast Track, #3) by Erin McCarthy Broken Wings (Chronicles of Brydon, #1) by Lora Leigh Cut & Run (Cut & Run #1) by Madeleine Urban The Wild Rose (The Tea Rose, #3) by Jennifer Donnelly Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #1) by Lara Adrian Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2) by Jayne Castle Hard Day's Knight by Katie MacAlister The Darkest Surrender (Lords of the Underworld, #8) by Gena Showalter Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1) by Rachel Caine

message 33: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11275 comments Aimie wrote: "Ok, I'm gonna give this ago. I'm not good at finishing these challenges but I'm sure I can do this in 11 months. I'll work out my list to post before we start. :)

Whats GLBT? It may be really obvi..."

Aimie,
I'm glad you asked! And thank you Jane for answering. I should have posted the definition and I just did in the Suggestions/FAQ thread. If anyone needs a detailed definition, please check the suggestions/FAQ thread for this Dare.

message 34: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11275 comments Charlotte (Buried in Books) wrote: "Dare You To Read - One Book For Each Genre (Round 2)

Contemporary: High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
Erotic: [book:The Vampire Queen's Serva..."

Charlotte,
You have some of my favorite authors on your list!

message 35: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11275 comments Dee wrote: "list pending

Erotic: Raine
BDSM: Ice Queen
GLBT: Divide and Conquer (not in GR yet) - available in December - per authors
Historical:
Regency:
Paranormal: [book:Immor..."

Dee, I think you left off Contemporary :)

message 36: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments cut and paste hated me apparently...all fixed

message 37: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11275 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "OK - Here's my list, still awaiting some refinement before 30 June. Let me know if I have any categorisation issues... :)

Completed: 0/12

1. Contemporary: [book:Just the Sexiest Man Alive|386386..."

Jane,
I don't know why I stopped at Murder Game, I really like the series. Glad you are going to read it too!

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 561 comments Fran wrote: "Charlotte (Buried in Books) wrote: "Dare You To Read - One Book For Each Genre (Round 2)

Contemporary: High Fidelity by Nick Hornby..."

I got my copy of Forever today - it keeps looking at me!!! I'm going to have to hide it until next month.

message 39: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11275 comments Charlotte, don't think of it as next month, think of it as only 13 days away! Or, if you're like me, you could read it now and substitute another book (you can sub until the 30th). I don't have much willpower when it comes to series (I am dying to read Gone, my YA pick- so far I've held out)

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 561 comments It's a big book - 500 pages, so I want to make the most of it. That means waiting.....

message 41: by Steamywindows♥♫ (last edited Aug 28, 2011 09:23PM) (new)

Steamywindows♥♫ (steamywindows) | 8 comments I have never tried a book challenge so it seems like a good thing to do and sounds like fun! My list is:

Dare You To Read - One Book For Each Genre (2011-2012)
2/9 completed

1.Contemporary: Someone to Watch Over Me
2.Erotic: Three Times the Scandal
3.GLBT: Hot Head
4.Historical OR Regency: A Lady's Lesson in Scandal READ Aug 14, 11
5.Paranormal OR Fantasy: Crave READ Aug 24, 11
6.Suspense OR Mystery: The Perfect Murder
7.Women's Fiction OR Chick-lit: The Secret History of the Pink Carnation
8.World Lit/International: Three Cups of Tea One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a Time
9.Young Adult: City of Bones

message 42: by Tuğçe (last edited Jul 18, 2011 05:12AM) (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) Ok, so here is my list...

Contemporary: Causing Havoc
Erotic OR BDSM: The Reluctant Dom
GLBT: Touch Me Gently
Historical OR Regency: The Bride
Paranormal OR Fantasy: A Hunger Like No Other
Suspense OR Mystery: All The Pretty Dead Girls
Women's Fiction OR Chick-lit: My Sister's Keeper
World Lit/International: Like Water for Chocolate
Young Adult: Amy & Roger's Epic Detour

Classic: The Age of Innocence
Memoir OR Non-fiction: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Thriller OR Horror: The Passage
Religious OR Inspirational: One Tuesday Morning
Speculative Fiction OR Dystopia: Mockingjay

hope the list is ok, I am trying to stick with my Own-to-read shelf.

message 43: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Jul 18, 2011 05:28AM) (new)

Fran | 11275 comments Tugce Nida wrote: "Ok, so here is my list...

Historical OR Regency: The Bride

Nida, your list looks great. I was thinking about reading Like Water for Chocolate too- so hard to decide!

message 44: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) Fran wrote: "Tugce Nida wrote: "Ok, so here is my list...

Historical OR Reg..."

Definitely so hard to decide. I intentionally chose the books that I own for awhile but couldn't settle to read yet maybe this challenge will force me to read them :)

message 45: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Jul 18, 2011 06:24AM) (new)

Fran | 11275 comments Steamywindows♥♫ wrote: "I have never tried a book challenge so it seems like a good thing to do! Since I have never tried some of these a categories, it will be a stretch for me and sounds like fun! I will have to check..."

Welcome Steamywindows!
Your choices so far look great, but for some reason your Women's Fiction/Chick-lit choice is linked to a different book. When I click on it some other book comes up- I will try and fix it :)

OK, here is the correct link if you want to edit your post-
The Secret History of the Pink Carnation

Also, you will need to add #8 to your list- World Lit/International

message 46: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Jul 26, 2011 02:32PM) (new)

message 47: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) Fran wrote: "My list...(reserves right to edit up until July 30th :))

Contemporary: The Sweetest Thing
Erotic: Passionate Pleasures
GLBT: Caught Running
BDSM..."

Fran, have you read Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom, if not it is really good, I don't like Mitch Albom much myself but that one was a PIFM rec a few months ago and I am glad I read it. Well not that I want to confuse you about your list with more options ;)

message 48: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Jul 18, 2011 06:49AM) (new)

Fran | 11275 comments Tugce Nida wrote: "Fran wrote: "My list...(reserves right to edit up until July 30th :))

I was thinking of that one too, now I'm not sure! I've read For One More Day by him, which was a PIFM rec awhile ago and I really liked it. What don't you like about him? If you have any other Inspirational recs for me, please add them in the Suggestions thread! I am open to anything :)

message 49: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments Whew, finally, I was able to narrow down some books. Betcha the list will be changing till 30th especially the fantasy.

My very narrowed down list (even though it doesn't look like it):

One Book For Each Genre Challenge

1. Contemporary: The Crossroads Cafe by Deborah Smith or Fallen from Grace by Laura Leone
2. Erotic: Sweet Surrender by Maya Banks
3. GLBT:
4. Historical: The Marsh King's Daughter or by Elizabeth Chadwick or Silk Is for Seduction by Loretta Chase
5. Fantasy: The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting or Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson
6. Paranormal or Grave Witch by Kalayna Price or Lover Enshrined by J. R. Ward
7. Suspense: Beautiful Malice by Rebecca James or Black Ice by Anne Stuart
8. Women's Fiction: The Beach Trees by Karen White
9. World Lit: Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
10. Young Adult: A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

Optional Categories

11. Horror: The Stand by Stephen King
12. Speculative: Kushiel's Avatar by Jacqueline Carey

message 50: by SandyC (last edited Jul 18, 2011 10:09AM) (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1281 comments Here is my list.

0/10 Done

Contemporary:State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
Erotic OR BDSM:Long Hard Ride by Lorelei James
GLBT:Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown
Historical OR Regency:Captive Queen: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine by Alison Weir
Paranormal OR Fantasy:A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin
Suspense OR Mystery:Finger Lickin' Fifteen by Janet Evanovich
Women's Fiction OR Chick-lit: Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner
World Lit/International:Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi
Young Adult:Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

Thriller OR Horror:Salem's Lot by Stephen King

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett Long Hard Ride (Rough Riders, #1) by Lorelei James Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown Captive Queen A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine by Alison Weir A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) by George R.R. Martin Finger Lickin' Fifteen (Stephanie Plum, #15) by Janet Evanovich Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner Persepolis The Story of a Childhood (Persepolis, #1) by Marjane Satrapi Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell Salem's Lot by Stephen King

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12