Goodreads Malaysia discussion

Buku-buku Mengenai... > Malaysian Medical Thriller and Fiction

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Syahira (last edited Jul 11, 2011 12:03PM) (new)

Syahira  | 752 comments Its been in my mind for a long long while ever since I've read Ramlee Awang Murshid's Ungu Karmila some years ago. Truthfully, the story was good, the flow is better than his Sunan books, it have a good premise of a medical thriller but end up to be just a thriller.

Plainly speaking, for a scientist, the scientific explanation was weak and too layman-brief and structured too literally which doesn't hid the non-scientific background of the author.. this possibly suited to his genre-wise average reader but left scientific-minded readers cold and uninterested. The ending could have been more thorough and open-ended with full of possibilities. Funny, it was then that I realize that Malaysian is severely lacking in authors that wrote these similar kinds of novels.

Try googling "Malaysian Medical Fiction" or "Fiksyen + Medikal + Malaysia", there were absolute nothing will come up except some obscure science fiction.

I love science, mystery, logics and medicine. I enjoy science fiction particularly like Fringe (which are heavily about medical, biology, physics chemistry and everything). I do read a some of Robin Cook's and Micheal Crichton's medical thrillers and enjoyed them immensely. But I love it better if there's a medical thriller genre to be read that are actually written by a Malaysian (considering our climates are actually feasible for variate types of dangerous pathogens) and I'd love it if it was more educative and can be explain in scientific way instead of deducing that with psuedoscience and filled with quack superstitions (which flocked the market in form of Mastika and alike).

Malaysian have wide and diverse scientific communities, we deserve a well-written medical fiction and to think that there's a lot of published Malaysian scientific journals published internationally, why can't the trend leaned towards fiction writing? (I'm interested in writing one myself but thats another story)

What do you think about this one gap in Malaysian fiction if you are a scientific-educated person? (I mean, almost everyone is -if they've gone to school and remembered they've learn Science since they are 10 or 11)

message 2: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (new)

Khairul Hezry | 2357 comments Mod
Before you start writing a medical thriller, you need to know something about medicine & science. Unless you're already a doctor or studying to be one, writing a medical thriller is impossible without doing some research and there's the trouble: doing the research.

You said so yourself, RAM's medical thriller ended up just a thriller and the scientific explanation was weak. Because RAM (to my knowledge) has no scientific background and probably didn't bother to do much research to make the story realistic enough. Researching for a book especially a medical thriller is hard work and if the author has no interest in medicine or science, the work is even harder. Robin Cook is a real life doctor so it's easy for him. Michael Crichton wasn't but he wrote mostly science fiction (Jurassic Park was a comedy).

You want a good, well researched, reality-based, made in Malaysia medical thriller? Get a local doctor or scientist to write one. They already have the background.

message 3: by Najibah, Penterjemah yang mencintai kata-kata (new)

Najibah Abu Bakar (najabakar) | 2843 comments Mod
Syahira, if you're interested to write one, try your luck in this Sayembara:

Sayembara Fiksyen Sains dan Teknologi UTM – Kumpulan Utusan #2

The closing date is on 30 November 2011.

message 4: by Syahira (new)

Syahira  | 752 comments Khairul H. wrote: "Before you start writing a medical thriller, you need to know something about medicine & science. Unless you're already a doctor or studying to be one, writing a medical thriller is impossible with..."

what I refer with Micheal Crichton was the novel "A Case of Need" which was an excellent satirical novel on abortions in the 80s. His narration from his character who is a pathologist who are partially investigating on illegal abortion and death of the girls who had gone through the procedure. The novel wasn't too heavy on the medical technicalities but more into the matters associating with abortions, the law and the use of investigative methods to prove one innocents. Crichton did varied subjects on science, physics and history in Timeline, biology and genetics in most of his fiction like Congo, The Andromeda Stain, and etc. Fringe was inspired by him anyway, JJ Abrams didnt need an MD to write a good science show.

The essence of medical fiction wasn't to demeaned less educated people in science, its just to gain one interest in the matter.

I have a degree in Biomedical Science and my family is virtually a family filled with scientist (my dad's a forensic scientist, my mom a biologist, my sisters; programmer, doctor, chemist). So I do have street creds anyway.

Real MD doctors and scientist write journals, not fictions and most are too busy travelling around the world to bother anyway. And I do have professional relationships with a lot of people who are experts various field of medical sciences subjects and some enjoyed a lot of fiction as I am.

Essentially, a science fiction author doesn't need a science degree to do a good fiction. The medical essence in a medical fiction itself is just to provide a plot base

Najibah: The contest was targeted for school reads.

message 5: by Najibah, Penterjemah yang mencintai kata-kata (last edited Jul 11, 2011 10:49PM) (new)

Syahira wrote: "Khairul H. wrote: "Before you start writing a medical thriller, you need to know something about medicine & science. Unless you're already a doctor or studying to be one, writing a medical thriller..."

Yep, but I do read YA novels too despite my age.

Plus, there's nothing wrong about writing for young adults. We lack quality books for young adult also.

Just a suggestion though, you might have something more complex to write, and your audience are beyond those school age children ;)

message 6: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (last edited Jul 11, 2011 11:55PM) (new)

Yeah, gotta start somewhere. YA is good a place as any to start.

Crichton was a sci-fi writer as far as I'm concerned (and not a good one at that but that's a different thread). Wait, are medical thrillers sci-fi? I'd like to think not.

message 7: by Najibah, Penterjemah yang mencintai kata-kata (last edited Jul 12, 2011 12:37AM) (new)

Khairul H. wrote: "Yeah, gotta start somewhere. YA is good a place as any to start.

Crichton was a sci-fi writer as far as I'm concerned (and not a good one at that but that's a different thread). Wait, are medical ..."

Medical would surely falls under science. And a thriller is still fiction.

message 8: by Syahira (last edited Jul 12, 2011 03:56AM) (new)

Syahira  | 752 comments I'll keep that in mind.

message 9: by fahmee (new)

fahmee (gorgom22) | 39 comments Ada satu buku medical thriller malaysia yang pernah saya baca bertajuk Sentuhan Oedipus. It is quite good for me (but i don't know about others). http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/89...

message 10: by Najibah, Penterjemah yang mencintai kata-kata (new)

Fahmee, just about what I want to say, though not exactly the title you mentioned.

Rahmat Haroun is a medical doctor who writes. He has quite a number of books, claimed by his fans as must-read books. Among them Di. Ar. Ti., Manuklon and Panggil Aku Melaju. The last one also has elements of a thriller even though interspersed with the question of Malay origins (which falls under anthropology I think)

message 11: by fahmee (new)

fahmee (gorgom22) | 39 comments Alang2 bercakap mengenai rahmat haroun, nak tanya jika sesiapa yang ada bukunya dan tidak memerlukannya lagi. Bolehlah bagitahu saya. Ingat nak beli untuk dibuat koleksi. Ala2 'collectors edition' gitu.

message 12: by Syahira (new)

Syahira  | 752 comments Mohd Fahmee wrote: "Ada satu buku medical thriller malaysia yang pernah saya baca bertajuk Sentuhan Oedipus. It is quite good for me (but i don't know about others). http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/89......"

Not sure about it (looking at the other guy review.. kinda turn me off a bit). I am very sensitive with reviews that are scathing on plot holes in this kind of genres.

message 13: by fahmee (new)

fahmee (gorgom22) | 39 comments To find a malaysian medical thriller book is a rare, to find a good malaysian medical thriller book is rarer. Keep on searching.

message 14: by Haryati (new)

Haryati Abd. Halim | 754 comments Fahmee,

Kalau ada rezeki, insyaallah buku-buku ni boleh dicari di 'Flea Market' di Armcorp Mall pada setiap Sabtu dan Ahad.

message 15: by fahmee (new)

fahmee (gorgom22) | 39 comments Haryati wrote: "Fahmee,

Kalau ada rezeki, insyaallah buku-buku ni boleh dicari di 'Flea Market' di Armcorp Mall pada setiap Sabtu dan Ahad."

thanks

message 16: by Clerk Can (new)

Clerk Can | 146 comments Bagaimana yang dikatakan medical thriller? Adakah kisah thriller dikalangan medical student? Atau kisah thriller tentang subjek biologi? Atau sekadar sai-fai thriller?

Saya ada baca Di.Ar.Ti, agak bagus. Ia berkenaan tentang pelajar medical dan subjek biologi yang mutant(?).
Trilogi Tombiruo oleh RAM juga ada sentuh sedikit tentang medical. Subjek ujikaji (yang secara kebetulannya juga adalah hero) jadi beruk, dan kemudiannya buat pembedahan plastik jadi manusia balik kalau tak silap saya.

Mencari penulis thriller di malaysia agak payah.
Mencari penulis sai-fai thriller di malysia sangat payah.
Mencari penulis sai fai medical thriller di malaysia adalah hampir mustahil.

message 17: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (new)

encik_kerani wrote: "Mencari penulis thriller di malaysia agak payah."

Semakin mudah sekarang sejak munculnya FIXI. Cerita thriller sokmo.

message 18: by Najibah, Penterjemah yang mencintai kata-kata (new)

Khairul H. wrote: "encik_kerani wrote: "Mencari penulis thriller di malaysia agak payah."

Semakin mudah sekarang sejak munculnya FIXI. Cerita thriller sokmo."

Kuat benar promosi FIXI akhir2 ni :)

message 19: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (new)

Ia berjaya membuat saya membaca novel Melayu. Dah baca 3. Kira hebat le tu. Sebelum ni sifar.

message 20: by Clerk Can (new)

Clerk Can | 146 comments Kalau Khairul baca sampai 3, saya anggap buku-buku itu bagus (walaupun ada terdengar yang buku FIXI ni bahasanya tidak standard).

Mungkin saya juga patut mencubanya.

message 21: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (new)

Mmg FIXI menggalakkan, tetapi bukan dimestikan, BM yg tidak standard. Sbb itulah saya sanggup baca novel-novel terbitan mereka.

message 22: by Syahira (last edited Oct 19, 2011 01:43AM) (new)

Syahira  | 752 comments encik_kerani wrote: "Bagaimana yang dikatakan medical thriller? Adakah kisah thriller dikalangan medical student? Atau kisah thriller tentang subjek biologi? Atau sekadar sai-fai thriller?

Saya ada baca Di.Ar.Ti, agak..."

Robin Cook la majority own genre ni. Sini ada contoh : Medical Fiction Goodreads Bookshelf

Kalau susah sgt nak analogi panjang2.. camni la.. Take movies for example :
Quarantine
Outbreak
Dreamcatcher
Pathology
28 Weeks Later
I Am Legend
Daybreakers

Semuanya technically boleh dikelaskan sebagai medical thriller. Setiap cerita ni ada penggunaan pathogen fiksyen, psikologi, psychopath, penyakit yang membuatkan manusia menjadi zombie/vampires dan lain-lain. Kalau boleh fikirkan...even game resident evil pun medical thriller.

Medical fiction merangkumi pathology, biochemistry, microbiology, hematology, diagnostic medicine etc. Cuma lebih sikit detail dia dari fiksyen sains yang banyak general je. Mcm beza Sains SPM dengan Kimia, Biologi, Fizik SPM.

Banyak aplikasi ilmu sahaja ni.

I love Fringe, banyak medical thriller kat situ macam flesh eating virus yang membunuh semua penumpang kapal terbang sehingga menjadi tulang, etc. Sebab tu la terasa nak tulis similar vein macam tu... lagi gory lagi bagus...

message 23: by Clerk Can (new)

Clerk Can | 146 comments Oh, saya ada terbaca satu frasa ini, tetapi saya lupa siapakah penulisnya: Jika kita ingin membaca sesuatu dan tidak boleh didapati, tulislah!

:)

Jadi saya menyokong penuh usaha kamu untuk menulis kisah medical thriller yang 'lagi gory lagi bagus' itu. No, im not being sarcastic.