Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Discussions about books > Tell us your shame!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 183 (183 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (writeralicia) I thought this would be fun, while also acting as a source of recommendations.

I think most of us in this group are fantasy fans. As a fantasy fan, what book or books are you ashamed to say that you have never read?

I'm kind of afraid to go first because my shame is quite shameful: The Lord of the Rings. (I know! I'm a poor excuse for a fantasy fan. smh.)

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) There's lots in my case.

Wheel of Time series
Belgariad
Discworld
Dresden
Farseer
Ender's Saga
First Laws
Anything by GGK
Incarnations of Immortality
Night Angel
Sword of Truth
Twilight

...Oh wait, I read that last one... and that's a different kind of shame. ;)

message 3: by M. (new)

M. (meddiemc) | 35 comments Yup, Wheel of Time. Heard too much about it starting to wobble, so never even started down the road.

message 4: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I'm working my way through wheel of time, but I amm ashamed that I haven't read Ender's Game, Discworld or The Belgariad. So much to add to my to-read list!!

message 5: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 65 comments Alicia Reads wrote: "...I'm kind of afraid to go first because my shame is quite shameful: The Lord of the Rings..."

I am guilty of this, as well. I grew up seeing the old cartoon, "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings". I grew up hearing details of the books as other people discussed them. I eventually bought the books, with every intention of reading them and then forgot they were on one of my bookshelves. I even have "The Silmarillion"! In fact, just a week ago I remembered and made plans to read all of the books before this summer is over.

message 6: by Mach (new)

Mach | 572 comments I still have not read any Dresden.

message 7: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments My list would be massive, lol. The biggest one is A Song of Ice and Fire (but I feel no shame toward that one, I'll never read it).

message 8: by Mach (new)

Mach | 572 comments Why not?

message 9: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) MrsJoseph wrote: "My list would be massive, lol. The biggest one is A Song of Ice and Fire (but I feel no shame toward that one, I'll never read it)."

Why? (I'm always curious when people swear off a book...LOL)

message 10: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (versusthesiren) | 357 comments Let's see... Lord of the Rings, Narnia, Ender's Game, and The Belgariad, I guess.

M. wrote: "Yup, Wheel of Time. Heard too much about it starting to wobble, so never even started down the road."

Same, I had heard too much about its quality dropping to want to start. When Sanderson finishes writing it, I might give it a shot.

message 11: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Becky wrote: "MrsJoseph wrote: "My list would be massive, lol. The biggest one is A Song of Ice and Fire (but I feel no shame toward that one, I'll never read it)."

Why? (I'm always curious when people swear o..."

Too gruesome and too much torture, honestly. If I find myself crying too much and it's not a "I'm so touched" cry, I gotta put it down. Grant says I'm a wussy...

message 12: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Ahh, OK. I don't really think it's all that bad, but then that kind of thing doesn't bother me much, if at all unless it's very bad and graphic, and I don't think that this is. But hey, you know your tastes, I was just curious. :)

message 13: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1018 comments Haven't read anything by Andre Norton, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Robin Hobb, Robert Jordan, or GRR Martin yet... as well as many, many other recommended authors, much to my shame :o

message 14: by Judy (new)

Judy Olson | 49 comments I also have never read the Lord of the Rings..only finished the Hobbit. I never read the Dune series. I have all the books from the GRR Martin series but the newest and haven't cracked them open.

message 15: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (writeralicia) There are actually a number of books that have been mentioned here that I have not read. Among those are the Wheel of Time books. But I feel no shame there (because of the mixed reviews about the quality toward the middle of the series). I do, however, feel shame about not having read Dune. I need to get on that one.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

There's a bunch I haven't read that folks probably think I should have by now, but I feel no shame.

NO SHAME AT ALL.

stop judging me

message 17: by Casey (last edited Jul 11, 2011 06:25PM) (new)

Casey The Lord of the Rings. I've read The Hobbit, but I'm always ashamed to admit that I've never read the rest of the series, especially since most of my friends are fantasy geeks and know it by heart.

The worst thing about it is that I have all of the books, and the only reason I haven't read them is because I lost The Fellowship of the Ring and I can't find it. :(

message 18: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) (last edited Jul 11, 2011 06:37PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) My shame list is pretty long, since I came back to fantasy after a fifteen year hiatus. I have steadily increased my fantasy reading in the past few years. I am reading about fifty-five percent romance, thirty-five percent fantasy, ten percent horror/supernatural fiction that is not fantasy. I started back down the fantasy road with urban fantasy and paranormal romance several years back (I can actually attribute my recent fantasy love rekindling to Anita Blake and Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series), so I am not as well-read in the epic fantasy classics, other than CS Lewis, Diana Wynne Jones, Madeleine L'Engle, a few others. I too have not read the Lord of the Rings.

message 19: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 8 comments I have read the Hobbit but I have only skim-read the other Tolkien novels. Also still need to read the Wheel of Time books and start to re-read the discworld books. I read a couple years ago but I cant even remember which ones.

message 20: by Roshio (new)

Roshio | 106 comments I read Fellowship of the ring but couldn't make it to the next two books.
The Dresden Files series is a bit of a mystery to me.
Raymond E Feist's Riftwar saga, Steven Erikson's Malazan series and a good few others as well.
No shame though! I'll get around to them at some point.
The only one I do feel some shame about is Lies of Locke Lamora. Its been in a box under my bed for three years. Everyone seems to love it and anytime I go for it, it just never seems like the right time to read it.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments Don't know that I'm ashamed... I still have to read something by Hobb other than Soldier's Son which I hated after the first volume. I need to finish a few series I've only started, like Song of Ice and Fire...

message 22: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments *hugs Ala*

no shame!

You just don't merit the "geek" title until you read Lord of the Rings. ;)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

pfft.

I read "Lord of the Rings" when it was still just "Squire of the Loop".

But you've probably never heard of it.

message 24: by Mach (new)

Mach | 572 comments Wow, alot of people here have not read LOTR. Get to it.

message 25: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Machavelli wrote: "Wow, alot of people here have not read LOTR. Get to it."

That's hard to believe!

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) There's a lot of 'classic' or standard fantasy that I haven't read, and have no real interest or desire in reading and, thus, will probably never read. I don't have any shame about it but it does make me feel like a bit of an outsider sometimes amongst fantasy fans - especially when people go on and on about the books that a "true" fantasy fan ought to read.

Personally, I'm more interested in contemporary works and looking forward than in trying to catch up with the great backlog of older works that just don't appeal to me. (The fact that when I do try to read one of these I've been generally underwhelmed has not helped.)

Chances are, if you name it I haven't read it - or, if I have read it, I wasn't impressed and didn't read the whole thing.

(I did, however, force myself to slog through LotR before the movies came out. Can't say I was better for having done so, though.)

message 27: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Discworld

I keep meaning to crack that open...

message 28: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I was never really interested in Discworld either... until I read Good Omens by Gaiman and Pratchett. I really enjoyed that one, and then I started looking at Discworld, but goodness, there are so many of them and so many different sub-series that I had no idea where to begin.

I did try reading The Color of Magic a little bit ago, but the ebook edition I had was awful, so I gave it up. I'll try again another time.

message 29: by Scott (new)

Scott I couldn't get into Pratchett at all.

message 30: by Mach (new)

Mach | 572 comments Me neither.

message 31: by Traci (new)

Traci My shame is I still haven't finished The Wise Man's Fear. I enjoyed the first book alot but I like the interlude chapters more than the narrative and I expected the second book to be more of a bridge between the two stories. I got bored with the continued school drama and went on to something else. I'll finish someday.
There's other books I haven't read yet but that's the only "shame".

message 32: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I haven't read WMF either, Traci.

message 33: by Roshio (new)

Roshio | 106 comments Neil Gaiman's another one that leaves me scratching my head, his style is a bit too off for me. After trying to read two of his books, I hesitate to pick another.

message 34: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments *Don't tell Grant!* I never finished The Name of the Wind. I just got tired of watching Kvothe get the ish kicked out of him every 5 minutes...

I hate to cry and I found myself crying for like 5 chapters straight. At that point my husband made me put the book down, lol.

message 35: by Kelly (last edited Jul 12, 2011 08:30AM) (new)

Kelly Flanagan | 43 comments Neil Gaiman is one and Terry Pratchett another that I can't get into. as well China Meivelle. I liked Unlundon, but the rest are to much for me. I did love Piers Anthony's comedic way, but the Discworld series was too lowbrow for me. - god that sounded so upppity, it wasn't meant to..

message 36: by Mach (new)

Mach | 572 comments I have never read any Gaiman.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments Gaiman is only "okay" most the time from my point of view and several of his books have left me cold. As for Disc World, my daughter loves them and clued me in. I was only "so-so" about The Color of Magic and a couple of the other "early" Disc world books. The thing is that they get incredibly funny...IN SOME CASES. It will kind of depend on you. I found (for example) Moving Pictures hilarious. There are others where the turn of phrase alone makes the book worthwhile.

As for Coleen "having to slog through" LotR...well, it demonstrates what I said about taste. I (as many) have read and reread them many times and love them...oh well. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) I haven't read Gaiman yet either. I have more than a few of his I've picked up, just need to get around to them.

message 39: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I haven't read any Gaiman either. To be honest, every time I look at American Gods I think: Meh. I realize I need to get a copy and crack it open before the TV show starts or I'll never watch it.

message 40: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (writeralicia) MrsJoseph wrote: "I haven't read any Gaiman either. To be honest, every time I look at American Gods I think: Meh. I realize I need to get a copy and crack it open before the TV show starts or I'll never watch it."

Wait, what? TV show? Darn it. Now, I've got to move American Gods up on my reading list!

message 41: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (writeralicia) Alicia Reads wrote: "Wait, what? TV show? Darn it. Now, I've got to move American Gods up on my reading list!"

Oh, not until 2013. (I just looked it up.) Phew, that gives me some time.

message 42: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I LOVED Piers Anthony & his Xanth series so I keep meaning to read Discworld. I have book one but I haven't read it yet...

message 43: by Maggie (last edited Jul 12, 2011 12:54PM) (new)

Maggie K | 730 comments I only feel ashamed if its something Ive beent rying to read and just havent got to yet...so probably Mistborn. I have the boxed set, know that I will love it, but things always have to get done first...lol

message 44: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (writeralicia) Mistborn = awesomeness

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments Tracy?????? Tamsin and The Last Unicorn are by Peter S. Beagle. Just you know, fyi.

message 46: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 98 comments Scott wrote: "I couldn't get into Pratchett at all."

Neither can I. Some years back tried one of his novels did not work for me, even forgot what it was called....

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments No biggie. I haven't read a lot of Gaiman either, or Beagle for that matter. I find him pretty bland.

message 48: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments Ack *examines dagger in my chest* I'm wounded!
Peter S. Beagle is one of my favorite authors ever, and while I don't love quite everything (
The Innkeeper's Song), several of his stories and shorts rank up with my favoritest ever. Really poetic use of language and often captures a sweet sadness to his work.

Gaiman? Not so much.

message 49: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I haven't read Wise Man's Fear yet, either. *Hangs head in shame. Kicks a rock*

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments Uhh...Carol speaking of daggers in the chest, think back to a certain Jim Butcher discussion....humm. Recall?

(Checks to see if scar has healed yet)

« previous 1 3 4