Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

General Chatting > Interesting blog entry

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Chicki (new)

Chicki Brown (chicki663) | 130 comments I ran across this in my daily blog reading. Just thought it might interest some of you ladies.

http://novelspaces.blogspot.com/2011/...

Chicki Brown
New blog: http://bit.ly/mUQfQi
Web site: http://www.chicki663.webs.com
Amazon Author Page: http://amzn.to/l2kjXQ

message 2: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3396 comments Mod
Thanks for sharing Chicki :) I didn't read all of the responses, but I did find the blog entry intersting. I have read some romances that involve human/ alien pairing. As long as the alien appears human, I guess I'd consider it to be an IR romance novel of sorts. Hmmm....... I'm not sure how I'd feel about the human/ liger pairing though.

message 3: by Chicki (new)

Chicki Brown (chicki663) | 130 comments Yeah, it's not my thing either. I can handle vampires and humans, but that's about it. LOL!

Chicki

message 4: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Ooh goodness that's just gross to me. I'm sorry but putting human characters with animals is beastiality and that's something that I just cannot fathom. I can understand humans and vampires because vampires (though dead) are still human. But animals and people, gross. No. Also as an author I'd be afraid to write that type of story. Who would publish it or read it? It would just be too offensive in my opinion. Ugh. I'm sorry but to even think of a book pairing a human with an animal is just disgusting. I hope this doesn't become a trend. I'm all for writers writing what they want but, ugh. I can't see who would wanna even read something like that.

Best Wishes!

http://www.stacy-deanne.net

message 5: by Chicki (new)

Chicki Brown (chicki663) | 130 comments I'm with you, Stacy, but I thought it was interesting that some people consider that an "interracial" pairing. There's such strange stuff being written lately with werecats and other things I've never even heard of.

I'll just stick with hunky, healthy, human males, thank you!

Chicki Brown

message 6: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) Human and animals? That's bestiality, plain and simple. Not IR. I shudder to think what's next.

message 7: by Davina (new)

Davina D. | 796 comments I'll just stick with hunky, healthy, human males, thank you!

Amen!

Humans and animals? And its meant to be romance?!? Who writes this shit???

message 8: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) Davina, that's what I want to know. I'm traumatized just hearing about it. There's no way I could ever read something like that. Why would anyone put their name on it? Ugh. *shivers*

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) | 1211 comments Hmm, I find that a little disturbing in a way. It's as if someone's trying to co-opt the whole definition of "interracial romance" instead of coming up with their own sub-genre. To be honest, books with that theme should be considered either sci-fi romance or fantasy romance, not IR. Maybe I'm a stickler for the details, but IR to my mind is when the characters are from different HUMAN or humanoid races, not interspecies--a liger and a werewolf does NOT an IR make, LOL. Labeling something interracial even though the characters in humanoid form are both of the same skin shade doesn't make it so. It sounds a little like the lame answer J.R. Ward gave when asked if she would ever write characters of color for her BDB series. It's just a way for some authors and readers who wouldn't go near a REAL interracial book to claim that they are more open-minded.

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 335 comments There was a time when Caucasians considered people of other races to be 'not-human', too. So I can see the comparison. However bestiality is not my thing. I love a sexy shape-shifter but I want them to be in human form when it comes to mating. Otherwise it's just too much like bestiality for me.

message 11: by Chicki (new)

Chicki Brown (chicki663) | 130 comments Here's another blog post that's related to this topic.

Chicki Brown

message 12: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) I'd love to see the reactions of readers if someone wrote a human/beast romance and it became very popular. Can you imagine the response from the animal rights folks alone? LOL! Seriously, an author would be pretty brave to write something like this. I could understand maybe two shapeshifters who mate but only if it's when they are in the same form. Bestiality makes me wanna barf just thinking about it. An author would have to be very brave if they wrote something like that because the negative response would be overwhelming. Might even cause a backlash concerning the authors' work. The animal lovers would really go off and they can be a vocal bunch. LOL!

Best Wishes!

http://www.stacy-deanne.net

message 13: by Chicki (new)

Chicki Brown (chicki663) | 130 comments I agree, Stacy. This stuff seems to be gaining in popularity in some circles, and it turns my stomach. But I think some of those PETA folks would probably think it's totally romantic. Many of them believe that animals are superior to humans to begin with! LOL!

Chicki

message 14: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 7308 comments Mod
I don't like the shapeshifter/werewolf story to lean towards bestiality. I am fine with this set up if the sex doesn't occur with either in their animal form. I look at werewolf/shapeshifter paranormal as a metaphor for being in touch one with one's primal self. Generally, the ones I enjoy explore the duality of the character as a human with an animal side. I shy away from any that lean towards the prurient, bestiality angle. Fortunately, I haven't read any like that, because I'd probably end up throwing the book against the wall!

message 15: by Delaney (last edited Jul 21, 2011 08:30AM) (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) There's an IR series out with a shapeshifter character (I think it's the hero) and the blurb warns that sex takes place between a human and the shifter in the wolf state. The books are bestsellers.

I don't know how she wrote the scene(s) and I don't want to know! It's too much for me!

message 16: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 7308 comments Mod
Which book series is that, Delaney?

message 17: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) Blue Desert Heat by Marilyn Lee.

message 18: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Thanks for the heads up, Delaney.

message 19: by Violette (new)

Violette Dubrinsky | 32 comments As a writer of primarily non-human/fantasy romances, I have a few words on the subject. Whenever I go into a were-anything story, I read with the knowledge that this isn't real one, and two, this 'beast' is also a man. I've read romances with were-wolves who shift to their wolves and do things with their 'mates' but nothing explicit as wolf/human sex. It's always a hybrid or both are in one form or the other. I understand some people don't care for these books because they say it smacks of beastiality, but I don't see it that way, especially if written correctly. Any good paranormal book will push the envelope, though some go over into "WTF" territory, but overrall, I love my were-creatures stories because its all fantasy. If werewolves actually existed, and I met one, that would probably be a different story. Note I said probably. :)

message 20: by Tina (new)

Tina | 1379 comments I had a serious WTF? moment when reviewing the list of IR romances on the All About romance site: http://www.likesbooks.com/ethnic.html

Now mind I have seen a lot of people refer or get referred to this list when they ask about IR romances. Some of the books on the list of are truly IR. But then comes the WTF?:

English/Irish
White/Amish
American/Ghost

I actually love the fact that in several of the Nalini Singh books on the list there were actual IR couples, but their actual race is ignored and are listed instead with the IR designation of Psy/Changeling.

Seriously? These are what people are being assured are IR romances.

I think things like that get put on the list because people are truly uncomfortable with the idea of IR romances so they stretch. Fine, be uncomfortable, but don't create a fictitious definition and throw it out there like it is definitive.

I remember doing a reading challenge right here on GR one month and one of the categories for the books that month was IR romances. I couldn't believe how many people used the shifter/werewolf pairing or angel/demon pairing as their IR romance despite many helpful suggestions from other readers. Mind boggling.

I don't mind shifter romances. Really in the spectrum of fantastical things in romance they are no worse than vampires (walking dead corpses). Yeah, I do agree there is a monster ICK factor if the shifter is in animal form and the human is, well, human but I can safely say outside of Lora Leigh I have never read any of those. I needed to bleach my brain after reading one of her sex scenes. But by and large, most PNR writers are really conscious of that line and few really cross it.

message 21: by Violette (new)

Violette Dubrinsky | 32 comments Oh, and one more thing, the IR factor being human/animal is strange. That is called paranormal. So they can suck that right back down bc I'm at a loss. IR is IR. Paranormal is Paranormal. The genres do mix, but IR with two of a same race, different species is just called paranormal. (sigh) Where do they get these ideas?

message 22: by Davina (new)

Davina D. | 796 comments Hang on second, Lora Leigh wrote a book with human/animal sex??? Which book is that, Tiina? Please let me know because I need to avoid it like the plague. I like shifter stories (when they're in human form during sex), but I don't ever want to be pounced upon by such a scene in any book that I'm reading. The thought just rolls my stomach.

message 23: by Tina (new)

Tina | 1379 comments I don't remember which book it was but it was one of her breed series. The male was not in full on animal mode, but during sex his...ahem...member wasn't just a normal...ahem...member but the animal one. During the act a barb comes out and latches onto the female inside her vagina and won't let go until they are done. So they are locked together by this barb. Freaky.

message 24: by Davina (new)

Davina D. | 796 comments @Tiina Whew, that's a relief.
I know most of her heroes in the Breed series have barby dicks. I'm cool with that. It doesn't trouble me so much since they're always in human form. I thought you meant there was actually a book where he was in animal form when he and the human heroine are having sex.

@Delaney I had a look at the Blue Heat novel by Lee (who I've read before and didn't really enjoy). Says it contains love making scenes with the hero in "natural" form. What exactly does that mean really? I can't believe Lee would actually write a animal/human "love" scene. I have to believe both the hero and heroine are in animal form when the act occurs since she too appear to be a shifter of some sort? I just might read the book to see how the heck Marilyn Lee handles this. There has to be some logical explanation as I really don't think Lee would take things that far.

message 25: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) It says the hero is in natural form: "Contains love scenes with hero in natural form that some readers might find objectionable." The warning was enough for me and makes me think animal/human sexual contact took place.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't want to buy it to find out. I'll accept her warning that whatever happens, I'll probably find it objectionable.

I'm still not fully recovered from the incest I read about in James Patterson's Postcard Killers. Not to get off on another tangent, but incest is cropping up in a lot of books lately. I know it happens, but it's extremely disturbing to read. When I wrote my review, I had to warn others.

message 26: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Yeah, I just downloaded a free book that I'm going to delete because I saw there was incest in the book in a review on Amazon. I'm so glad I read this person's spoiler in their review!

message 27: by Davina (new)

Davina D. | 796 comments It's interesting. I just checked the book about 30 mins ago and the warning was there. I checked it again 5 mins ago and the warning had been taken off. Is that the same for everyone else?

When I read the blurb I got the impression the heroine is also a shifter so I thought the natural form referred to them having sex when they're both animals. But if the warning specified only the hero in natural form then I guess its safe to assume, based on the wording, that the heroine is in human form. That's why I wanted to check the wording for myself again, but the warning was gone. So I think you may be right, Delaney. Why would someone take the warning down if they weren't fearful it would negatively affect sales?

message 28: by Davina (new)

Davina D. | 796 comments And I have to agree with you about the incest thing. Just came across a book called Under Mr. Nolan's Bed that included consensual sexual intercourse between father and daughter. WTF? How is this meant to be erotic?

message 29: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) Davina, I see a warning on Part One here on GR, and the exact warning I posted above on Part Two. BTW, I remember running across Under Mr. Nolan's bed awhile back and immediately passed. I steer clear of anything by Selena Kitt and Excessica Publishing. They're known for "pushing" the envelope and tearing it to shreds.

Danielle, I know exactly which book you mean. I read the reviews after I downloaded it. Once I saw what it contained, I deleted it.

message 30: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Delaney, I'm glad it's not just me!

message 31: by Tisha (new)

Tisha | 45 comments Hello ladies,I've been reading this blog entry and I agree with the majority,I cannot read any book that features sex between an animal and a human.I unfortunately came across the Blue desert Heat from Marilyn Lee,and it did contain one(or maybe several...) human/animal scenes(I can't remember if it was a dog or a wolf...)as well as as human/centaur scenes...needless to say I couldn't finish it.I actually felt dirty for reading that much of the story.Not my cup of tea AT ALL!!! vampires is as far as I can go lol

message 32: by Davina (new)

Davina D. | 796 comments Thanks for the confirmation, Tisha! I can't believe Marilyn Lee would write this. I never really liked her writing/stories from day one so she's definitely off my reading list for good from now on. This is madness.

@Delaney, what book was that you encountered on Kindle? Please let us know so I (and others who wish to) can avoid it. Seriously, some fantasies should definitely be kept PRIVATE!!!

message 33: by Delaney (last edited Jul 24, 2011 06:59AM) (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) Tisha, I second the "thank you" from Davina. I do appreciate the author warning because it helped me steer clear of the book. As for the sex between species, I'm speechless.

Davina, Ain’t No Sunshine, is the name of the book by Leslie DuBois. It was recommended in another group a couple of weeks ago, and I downloaded it (that dang 1-Click button). Then I read the reviews.

message 34: by Tina (new)

Tina | 1379 comments Ew... I saw that one. Wasn't it a Kindle freebie? I was gonna get it then I read the reviews on AZ. Not even for a freebie.

message 35: by Delaney (last edited Jul 24, 2011 06:59AM) (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) Yes, it was a freebie. Thank goodness for those reviews. I would've started reading it and then gotten blindsided.

message 36: by Tisha (new)

Tisha | 45 comments I truly hope the characters in that "ain't no sunshine" book end up finding out that they were NOT RELATED in reality...or else EWWWW!!!

message 37: by Charmer (+ Vibes Only) (last edited Jul 23, 2011 06:32PM) (new)

Charmer (+ Vibes Only) | 283 comments 1) It's too bad that people have included spoilers in their comments about "Ain't No Sunshine". It ruins the author's plot-development and, yes, eventual plot-twists. I was so shocked by the ending twist that I was left thinking about it for a while.
2) Not everyone likes tragedy (not even me a lot of the time), but the inclusion of a tragic circumstance is kind of its purpose. The reader is drawn in by the characters and their conflicts. And when the tragic situation is ultimately revealed, the reader is forced to experience an emotional response because of the connection to those characters. If only Romeo knew Juliet was not really dead. If only Oedipus had never been given away as a child by the parents he never knew. If only Hamlet had manned-up and killed his Uncle Father while he was not really praying. At the end of a tragedy the reader is left to be frustrated over the twist and still think about it later.

message 38: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) Shenika, I was asked about the book, so that’s why I came forward with the information. Personally, I don’t have any problems reading spoilers. In fact, the Amazon reviews warned about the spoiler, and I read it anyway, and I was glad I did.

However, you make a good point about the comments above, and I don’t want to ruin the book for anyone who reads this thread and wasn’t participating in the conversation, because not everyone feels the same way I do. I removed the details but kept the comment about incest.

As far as tragedies go, I can handle a tragedy. What I can’t stomach is incest within certain contexts. There’s incest in the Bible, where Tamar was raped by her brother. I’m reading a book now where the grandfather molested his granddaughter. One of my favorite movies, Curse of the Golden Flower, has an incest subplot.

I didn’t appreciate the incest in those either, but what makes those different for me is that the incest is not condoned. It’s disgusting, tragic, unacceptable, and horrifying.

In Ms. DuBois’ book, that doesn’t seem to be the case, nor was it the case in the J. Patterson book or the book Davina mentioned. These books have consensual incest, and I take issue with that.

I’m not suggesting Ms. DuBois condones the actions of her characters. Authors write to elicit emotions and reactions, and I’m sure Ms. DuBois knew what she was doing. She created a complex story that makes the reader think. Most of the reviews are complimentary about the writing and the storyline, so it’s clear she did a good job.

None of that matters to me. It also doesn’t matter to me that the book is free. I draw the line at certain topics in my reading material. It’s no different than others who draw the line at, for example, sex in their reading material.

Incest is on the list of things I don’t want to read, and I don’t care about the circumstances, the lessons to be learned, or how provocative the writer is trying to be. If two characters know they’re related to each other and engage in a relationship, I don’t want to read it.

I can’t stomach it. I simply can’t. And I'm glad if I get warned ahead of time.

message 39: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6569 comments Mod
A lot of writers write what they believe in.

I don't read erotic stories, but say a non-erotic author writes a book where the hero and heroine engage in incest. I will not read that author's book or say I wasn't aware of the incest storyline and starts to read the book and find out about the incest. I will throw that book away and give that book a very low rating.

I don't care for bestiality as well.

Incest is gross. Bestiality is gross.

As for spoilers. I don't see anything wrong with that. I sometimes write spoiler reviews on here, but I like that Goodreads have an spoiler option. So, people are reading at their own risk.

Charmer (+ Vibes Only) | 283 comments Good mornin, Ladies. I completely understand why incest would offend anyone. Had I read the review and saw that it had incest in it, I would not have read it either, but I'm glad I didn't read the review. It is disgusting, and in the book u don't find out about it until the end and it's a shocker. I love a good twist, and jaw dropping shockers. I've never got that from a book before, and I wish it could've been from a different book, but it wasn't. I don't read reviews on AZ, I use to. I would buy books based on them and then I'd be pissed to find out that it was a POS. I read Delaney's, because I follow her.

message 41: by Davina (new)

Davina D. | 796 comments Delaney wrote: "Shenika, I was asked about the book, so that’s why I came forward with the information. Personally, I don’t have any problems reading spoilers. In fact, the Amazon reviews warned about the spoiler,..."

+1 on what you said, Delaney!

Very well said. I agree completely. It is never acceptable to me to read material where incest is portrayed as an acceptable act. It is never acceptable, ever. I don't want to be reading that in my leisure time, or any time. Had I came upon this book and didn't know about the incest I would have been majorly pissed. The same goes for bestiality, pedophilia and the like.

I fully respect other people's right to write and read what they like, but I also appreciate the author's understanding of my right not to read such things by providing a warning!

Another book I read which included incest was Cassie Edward's Portrait Of Desire. It's an older historical. I don't know if its still in print, but when I read it years ago and found out the heroine lusted after and eventually slept with her own uncle, it turned me of Edwards for life! It was disgusting and very disturbing, and to add salt to injury all this occurred after she met the hero and was sleeping with him. I can not imagine what possessed Edwards to write something like this. I found it very offensive and was angry there wasn't a warning on the book. So I'm immensely grateful Delaney gave us a head's up on this book.

Also Delaney I'm a huge fan of James Patterson and am shocked to hear that incest is portrayed positively in one of his books. Without giving spoilers can you explain the context? I'm pretty sure I already have the book on my TBR since both my husband and I are fans of his and he's an autobuy author for us. But just in case we haven't bought the book I want to know exactly how it occurs so we can ditch it if necessary.

message 42: by Delaney (last edited Jul 24, 2011 07:43PM) (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) Arch, ditto on bestiality. That's actually what this thread was originally about. LOL.

Shenika, I hope you get something out of my reviews. I don't read as much as you guys do, but whenever I enjoy a book, I like to let it be known.

Davina, thanks for the heads up on Portrait of Desire. Ugh.

Here's the scoop on Postcard Killers: In it, there's a brother and sister (fraternal twins) who are in a consensual incest relationship. They've been lovers for years. In the book, they mention they've even had sex in public, as part of some kind of avant garde art thingy. It's really twisted and sick.

message 43: by Stacy-Deanne (last edited Jul 24, 2011 10:30PM) (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) I find it offensive when people start categorizing animals paired with people as interracial. That is NOT interracial, that is inter-species, or whatever. If there is an actual word I forgot it. LOL!

It's like some people don't understand what interracial means. Interracial concerns PEOPLE of a different race. I think it will be devastating if we start classifying a lion/woman as interracial. Ugh, please. NO. You can't rewrite meanings just to fit what you want them to.

Best Wishes!

message 44: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) The sex between humans and animals still makes me wanna throw up and always will. I don't care how it gets dressed up, it's bestiality, plain and simple. I don't agree with it at all. Ugh, just turns my stomach but to each's own. I won't be reading any books like that though. No way! Ha, ha!

message 45: by Chicki (new)

Chicki Brown (chicki663) | 130 comments Society has become so twisted, it is trying to redefine everything. Did you see the wedding in New York yesterday where the judge referred to one of them "men" as "she?" SMH ...

message 46: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6569 comments Mod
I'm glad that I'm a writer and writes stories for myself.

message 47: by Chicki (new)

Chicki Brown (chicki663) | 130 comments You ladies might want to post a comment here:

Chicki

message 48: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) Interesting...I added my two cents by posting a comment.

message 49: by Tina (new)

Tina | 1379 comments Nice article. I commented although I don't have one of the acceptable accounts so I had go anonymous.

message 50: by Davina (new)

Davina D. | 796 comments Chicki wrote: "Society has become so twisted, it is trying to redefine everything. Did you see the wedding in New York yesterday where the judge referred to one of them "men" as "she?" SMH ..."

I heard about this. Soon it will become politically incorrect to not refer to him as "she".

I can understand referring to a transsexual who lives as a female as "she", but to call one of two guys who are clearly men "she" is a bit of a stretch, imo.

« previous 1