Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > Paranormal Romance , 1st person with a humorous main character

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Taraa (new)

Taraa | 19 comments I've read quite a few series of books.. I looooveee 1st person I can't read any other types. My boyfriend tells me to read other types but I just can't ! Can anyone help me find some books that are like Charlaine Harris' Trueblood Series, Katie McAlister's Dragon series, or Maryjanice Davidsons Vamp series. It doesn't matter what kind of paranormal beings are in it. I just want a character who is funny, its in first person nd its a series... I know theres lots and I see everyone on here has great taste so I'd like some opinions pllllllease!! :) thanks !

message 2: by Nita (new)

Nita (gillnit) | 697 comments Have you read Molly Harper's Jane Jameson series yet? I found it funny and it is in 1st person.

The first books is Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson, #1) by Molly Harper .

message 3: by ~Megan~ (new)

~Megan~ (megadee) I second Nita's recommendation! You might also like Molly Harper's Naked Werewolf series...they are in first person and hilarious!

How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf (Naked Werewolf, #1) by Molly Harper The Art of Seducing a Naked Werewolf (Naked Werewolf, #2) by Molly Harper

message 4: by Nanna -DD- (new)

Nanna -DD- What comes to mind is the amazing Night Huntress Series Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost and the Fever series Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning .

Both series are really great. Night Huntress are my fav. series, and The Fever series starts of a bit slow but makes up for it (and then some) later on. ;)

message 5: by Taraa (new)

Taraa | 19 comments That should start me off , thanks ! :))

message 6: by Sondrae (new)

Sondrae Bennett | 32 comments I second The Fever Series. Loved it.

IF you ever decide to give third person another try, I'd highly recommend Shelly Laurenston's Pride series. The Mane Event. It might not be first person but as far as funny books that will literally make you giggle the whole time, she's top notch. My top three heroines are all hers.

message 7: by Aimee (new)

Aimee Laine (aimee_laine) | 49 comments I'm jumping in to say thanks for the suggestions! Funny and paranormal don't seem to always go together. :) But they should!

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Yeah, I agree about Shelly Laurenston's books. The Magnus Were-wolves series are kind of loosely tied into the Pride books--because they are all set in the same world. And the characters from that do make brief appearances in some of the Pride books. The Beast in Him has a brief appearance by the Alpha's of the Mgnus pack, and if you hadn't read them you won't get some of the things that are referred to. Among other things, the killing of an entire Pride of were-lions, WHY the female Magnus alpha is considered "crazy" (and where her scars came from.) Different characters from the 3 Magnus books pop in here and there, like I said. While the Magnus books aren't quite as funny as the Pride books are (Beast Behaving Badly ALWAYS has me giggling helplessly. Its one of my "go to" books when I get stressed with what's going on with my Mum.)

message 9: by Pansy (new)

Pansy | 739 comments Night Huntress tops my list for funny, first person narrative. I will agree with the others about the Laurenston series. It is hysterical. I just reread the series and it is the best.

message 10: by Rafaela (new)

Rafaela (rafahta) | 60 comments First Grave on the Right is funny, with some romance and it's on the first person narrative.

message 11: by L-D (last edited Jul 12, 2011 04:02PM) (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments I'm getting ready to start the Night Huntress series which seems to be hugely popular on all my discussion groups. I'm excited about this series!

A lesser known series that I bought based on discussion thread recommendations is the Kitty Kat series by Gini Koch. This is almost like a Men In Black rip except the MIB are the aliens. I thought these books had a lot of quirky offbeat humor and I really enjoyed them.

Touched by an Alien (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #1) by Gini Koch Alien Tango (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #2) by Gini Koch Alien in the Family (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #3) by Gini Koch and coming in December 2011 Alien Proliferation (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #4) by Gini Koch

message 12: by Kat (last edited Jul 12, 2011 08:04PM) (new)

Kat (katharyn) | 3 comments Nanna wrote: "What comes to mind is the amazing Night Huntress Series Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost and the Fever series Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning.

Both series are really great. Night Huntress ar..."

I LOVE the Night Huntress Series and have heard a lot about the Fever series...but I am 40% through Darkfever and bored...what am I missing...does it get earthshaking good at a certain point...?

message 13: by Lizbeth (new)

Lizbeth (LizbethReads) | 33 comments I've just started reading the Kate Daniels books ( the first one is a little tough going at first ) and I think they're pretty funny, Magic Bites

message 14: by Pansy (new)

Pansy | 739 comments Katharyn wrote: "Nanna wrote: "What comes to mind is the amazing Night Huntress Series Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost and the Fever series Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning.

Both series are really great. Nig..."

I felt the same way. Everyone had to convince me to continue. I was ready to stop with Darkfever, but keep going. You will not be disappointed. It is truly a rollercoaster. You are lucky all the books are out so you do not have to wait with all the cliffhangers which was torture. You are going to love it.

message 15: by Laura (last edited Jul 13, 2011 05:50AM) (new)

Laura Carson (laurarcarson) Rafaela wrote: "First Grave on the Right is funny, with some romance and it's on the first person narrative."

Agreed! First Grave on the Right, Night Huntress, Kate Daniels, and Fever. Fever and Kate Daniels is more sexual tension till later in the series, and more what I would consider UF (IMO) but they definatley have romance elimates ;)

message 16: by Christina (new)

Christina (kriska1976) | 99 comments Pansy-

That's good to know! I was thinking of starting that soon but had heard the same thing. Thanks for the info!

message 17: by L-D (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments Katharyn wrote: "Nanna wrote: "What comes to mind is the amazing Night Huntress Series Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost and the Fever series Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning.

I love, love, love Jericho Barrons!

message 18: by Nanna -DD- (last edited Jul 13, 2011 10:17AM) (new)

Nanna -DD- Katharyn wrote: "Nanna wrote: "What comes to mind is the amazing Night Huntress Series Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost and the Fever series Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning.

for me it wasn't until the last part of book three that It really caught me. But now I'm glad that I stuck with it, cuz the fourth and especially the fifth book is amazing ;)

message 19: by L-D (last edited Jul 13, 2011 10:35AM) (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments Nanna - totally agree. But at the end of Shadowfever I was really sad it was over. I felt that there was so much more to tell. But in a Q/A I read from Ms. Moning she said she might do a spin-off (same world different characters)

message 20: by Nanna -DD- (new)

Nanna -DD- Lan-Dinh wrote: "Nanna - totally agree. But at the end of Shadowfever I was really sad it was over. I felt that there was so much more to tell. But in a Q/A I read from Ms. Moning she said she might do a spin-of..."

I'm still have to read the last 50 pages of shadowfever and so far it's really good. But I'm glad to be warned in advance that not all my questions will be answered. Then I won't be disappointed ;)

message 21: by Pansy (new)

Pansy | 739 comments Hang in there ladies. Fever is worth every word. If you have not read Moning's Highlander series, read it. It is not first person but it leads into the Fever series and it is so good. Beautiful Highlander men, time travel, magic, romance and steamy sex.

message 22: by Caitlin (last edited Jul 13, 2011 04:09PM) (new)

Caitlin (cait1204) | 54 comments Michelle Rowen! Her "Living in Eden" series about "demons, and witches, and werwolves, oh my" as well as her "Nightshade" series. I've only read those two, but she has another series "Immortality Bites" about vamps that looks hilarious as well :) The books are told in third person, however it's not something I got hung up on...considering I like first POV too.

message 23: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn Michele Bardsley. Her Broken Hearts series is funny. A vampire coven takes over a somall town, and several single parents are turned. She has a funny view of being a vampire raising human children. I highly recommend them.

I'm the Vampire, That's Why (Broken Heart Vampires, #1) by Michele Bardsley Don't Talk Back To Your Vampire (Broken Heart Vampires, #2) by Michele Bardsley Because Your Vampire Said So (Broken Heart Vampires, #3) by Michele Bardsley Wait Till Your Vampire Gets Home (Broken Heart Vampires, #4) by Michele Bardsley Over My Dead Body (Broken Heart Vampires, #5) by Michele Bardsley Come Hell or High Water (Broken Heart Vampires, #6) by Michele Bardsley Cross Your Heart (Broken Heart Vampires, #7) by Michele Bardsley

message 24: by Pansy (new)

Pansy | 739 comments AlbertaJenn wrote: "Michele Bardsley. Her Broken Hearts series is funny. A vampire coven takes over a somall town, and several single parents are turned. She has a funny view of being a vampire raising human children..."

That sounds like a funny series. I must put on TBR.

message 25: by L-D (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments Cait1204 wrote: "Michelle Rowen! Her "Living in Eden" series about "demons, and witches, and werwolves, oh my" as well as her "Nightshade" series. I've only read those two, but she has another series "Immortality B..."

Is the nightshade series done? The second book just came out and I can't tell if she's continuing the series or not.

message 26: by L-D (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments AlbertaJenn wrote: "Michele Bardsley. Her Broken Hearts series is funny. A vampire coven takes over a somall town, and several single parents are turned. She has a funny view of being a vampire raising human children..."

Interesting. I think I'll take a look as well

message 27: by L-D (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments Hey bummer - the first book is not available as a nook book!

message 28: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn Lan-Dinh wrote: "Hey bummer - the first book is not available as a nook book!"

It isn't? Funny, book four isn't available for Kobo!

message 29: by L-D (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments yeah it's weird. You can get the rest of the books in the series on the Nook - just not the first one. And I CAN'T not read the first one.

message 30: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn My collection of this series is half book, half e-book. I picked up a couple of them at a second-hand store for super cheap. Not ideal, but I get them as I can.

message 31: by L-D (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments ARGH - I'm way too OCD to do that. If I buy a series then my preference is all hardcover. If I start a series long after the hardcovers stop being easy to find, then I'll buy paperback, but there's just something about seeing all the books in a series lined up on my bookshelf that makes me happy. If there was one book missing from my series that would make me crazy. In fact I started Game of Thrones with a paperback then bought the rest in hardcover. Just this week when I saw that the next book is on its way (pre-ordered) I finally caved and bought the first book in hardcover so now the whole set is in hardcover *sigh* I have some issues.

The other thing that makes me crazy is when my Nook book doesn't have cover art.

message 32: by Nanna -DD- (new)

Nanna -DD- Lan-Dinh wrote: "ARGH - I'm way too OCD to do that. If I buy a series then my preference is all hardcover. If I start a series long after the hardcovers stop being easy to find, then I'll buy paperback, but there..."

I'm so glad I'm not the only one ;)

message 33: by Taraa (new)

Taraa | 19 comments Well ! I read the Jane Jameson series, looooved them. Is the Naked Werewolf series just as good.. ? soo many good suggestions, I'm so glad im not the only person out there with an addiction lol. Thanks guys ! :)

message 34: by Denise (new)

Denise (denisemichele) | 100 comments Lan-Dinh wrote: "ARGH - I'm way too OCD to do that. If I buy a series then my preference is all hardcover. If I start a series long after the hardcovers stop being easy to find, then I'll buy paperback, but there..."

AHH! it's good to know that I'm not the only one! I can't buy half the books in paperback & the rest in hardcover, I just can't do it. I need to have them all match so they look nicely on my bookshelf.
I mean, I wear my bookshelf like a badge of honor, don't you? ;)

message 35: by Kimi (new)

Kimi (kimisokool) | 60 comments Denise wrote: "Lan-Dinh wrote: "ARGH - I'm way too OCD to do that. If I buy a series then my preference is all hardcover. If I start a series long after the hardcovers stop being easy to find, then I'll buy pap..."

I know I do... It has to go from left to right biggest to smallest. I hate when some books in a series are hardcover and some are paper back. It makes my bookshelf ugly lol and I have one shelf for books I've read and one for books I need to read! =) I'm soooooo OCD sometimes!

message 36: by L-D (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments Kimi ★★★ wrote: "Denise wrote: "Lan-Dinh wrote: "ARGH - I'm way too OCD to do that. If I buy a series then my preference is all hardcover. If I start a series long after the hardcovers stop being easy to find, th..."

haha - I have a double bookcase with paperbacks on the top and hardcovers in the middle and bottom. But I'm ALL out of space now.

message 37: by Kimi (new)

Kimi (kimisokool) | 60 comments Lan-Dinh wrote: "Kimi ★★★ wrote: "Denise wrote: "Lan-Dinh wrote: "ARGH - I'm way too OCD to do that. If I buy a series then my preference is all hardcover. If I start a series long after the hardcovers stop being..."

lol I'm outta space too and I keep buying books even though I'm poor. Imma have to sell a crap load of books and dvds =/

message 38: by Denise (new)

Denise (denisemichele) | 100 comments Kimi ★★★ wrote: "Lan-Dinh wrote: "Kimi ★★★ wrote: "Denise wrote: "Lan-Dinh wrote: "ARGH - I'm way too OCD to do that. If I buy a series then my preference is all hardcover. If I start a series long after the hard..."

I recently got married and my husband and I didn't live together beforehand. So, we moved the majority of my stuff in two weeks before the wedding. I can still picture the look on his face when we were unloading box after box of books! My 5 tier bookshelf is already full! His suggestion: box up some books. My suggestion: buy another bookshelf. Ultimately, we bought another bookshelf ;)

Kimi- ever buy used books? it's my compromise since I don't have a ton of extra money to spend on books, but I'm not willing to give up buying them completely. We have a great little used bookstore that I frequent in town. Otherwise, I hit Amazon and usually find cheap, cheap, cheap books.

message 39: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Meredith Gentry or Anita Blake from Hamilton. They are not exactly humorous, but they do have plenty of sarcastic humor. The only other one I can think of is Interview with the Vampire by Rice, but I wouldn't clasify that as humorous.

message 40: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Denise wrote: "Kimi ★★★ wrote: "Lan-Dinh wrote: "Kimi ★★★ wrote: "Denise wrote: "Lan-Dinh wrote: "ARGH - I'm way too OCD to do that. If I buy a series then my preference is all hardcover. If I start a series lo..."

Barnes & Noble often lists the book as new and also gives used prices. The book often takes forever to arrive (10 days or so) and the shipping is often about $3.99 but if you can find the book for $2 or $3 then it's a good deal. You're lucky to have a good used book store in your area. B & N near me has a good size used section.

message 41: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Nita wrote: "Have you read Molly Harper's Jane Jameson series yet? I found it funny and it is in 1st person.

The first books is Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson, #1) by Molly Harper."

Very funny. Just finished them last month. Can't wait for the next one. Read the 2nd & 3rd book in three days. I also read book 3.5 online on her site. Very funny.

message 42: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Marta Acosta's Casa Dracula series is similiar to Molly Harper's series. Both funny, for the most part 1 rst person, vampires etc, the story may not be as good, but it made for a very cute series

message 43: by Kate (new)

Kate (kshiv) | 96 comments I agree with Night Huntress. I read all the Fever series but it was definately not funny or humorous. It was Dark. I finished it out of curiousity and a fascination with Jericho Barrons but wouldnt' read it again. for funny, I go with Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. Not PNR (or even going anywhere as a series) but I laugh every time I read one.

message 44: by Kate (new)

Kate (kshiv) | 96 comments I forgot the Chicagoland series by Chloe Neill. It's got a lot of humor in it.

message 45: by Grace (new)

Grace (fictionaladventures) Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White ! It fits the description perfectly!!

message 46: by Lady Heather (new)

Lady Heather  (_ladyheather_) Kate and Curran from the Kate Daniels Series DEFINITELY! Their bantering is why I read the series in the first place. Also, Cat and Bones' from Night Huntress Series. I also like Elana and Demitri's bantering in the Guild Hunter Series (even though they are not involved romantically).

message 47: by Zach (last edited Aug 09, 2011 04:31PM) (new)

Zach (ZaX_Ghost) | 4 comments Taraa wrote: "I've read quite a few series of books.. I looooveee 1st person I can't read any other types. My boyfriend tells me to read other types but I just can't ! Can anyone help me find some books that are..."

Reckless Magic is written in first person. The female heroine is named Eden. The book is a fantastic read and the second book in the series just came out.
Reckless Magic (The Star-Crossed Series) by Rachel Higginson

message 48: by Misty (new)

Misty (authormistyevans) | 10 comments I love Jennifer Rardin's Jaz Parks series and also CE Murphy's Walker papers. Both series are wrutteb in first person POV and the main characters are funny even when the situation or plot gets serious.

message 49: by Denise (new)

Denise (denisemichele) | 100 comments Missyb wrote: "Denise wrote: "Kimi ★★★ wrote: "Lan-Dinh wrote: "Kimi ★★★ wrote: "Denise wrote: "Lan-Dinh wrote: "ARGH - I'm way too OCD to do that. If I buy a series then my preference is all hardcover. If I st..."

Yep, I agree, that IS a good deal then! Our B&N doens't have a used section, but I know that they offer it online. I'm actually in a RL Book Club through B&N so sometimes we can get certain books through them. However, it is not a PNR book club, so the books vary from genre to genre. That's why I love this book club, it's where I come to get my PRN/UF fix :D

message 50: by Beth (new)

Beth Rogers | 1 comments The Next Thing I Knew (Heavenly) by John Corwin Is pretty funny and different, but it doesn't have vampires, just ghosts.

« previous 1