What will happen next in The Rifter? discussion

Midway--Book Five (WARNING: This thread may contain spoilers!)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 134 (134 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 217 comments Mod
So, what does everybody think now?

message 2: by orannia (new)

orannia | 123 comments I don't have Part V yet :( It is actually Tuesday here, but...obviously not Tuesday in the US so hopefully it will be in my Inbox tonight!

message 3: by Barb (new)

Barb Gilmour (barblikesbooks) What??? I don't have mine yet.... Who has theirs already??

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nobody has theirs yet... except reviewers, but I won't be in tomorrow am so I just started the thread this morning. Sorry!

message 5: by Barb (new)

Barb Gilmour (barblikesbooks) Well ... You are forgiven ! I am not a frantic person or anything ;-D but needs must, and I needs that boat! I am mean book....

message 6: by ns (last edited Jul 11, 2011 07:34PM) (new)

ns (vedi) Wasn't there something in the Geneva Convention about this? I distinctly remember some bits about how torture is a BADDIE.

message 7: by ns (new)

ns (vedi) By which I meant, "It's NOT HERE YET. SIGH."

message 8: by orannia (new)

orannia | 123 comments Mine isn't here yet either, and I figured it might be as it has turned up at this time previously :( *SIGH* Anyone else's clock on a go-slow?

message 9: by Barb (new)

Barb Gilmour (barblikesbooks) got it :-D

message 10: by Antonella (new)

Antonella | 126 comments Me too!

I'm so glad the download worked because I'm not at home and I was worried I wouldn't manage to get it. BTW this time I'm half on holiday so now I'm can do some serious reading ;-)

message 11: by Barb (new)

Barb Gilmour (barblikesbooks) Serious :-) ... 25% in and it is 1:55am which means I am way too tired to read anymore!! So much for Dayyid and his redemption .. And now we know about the scars on the sides of Kyles mouth ; yet Kyle mach2 doesn't have them.. Does he?
I wonder if Jahn will recognize that and remember that Kyle had the scars like Rav will now have.

message 12: by Antonella (new)

Antonella | 126 comments I was wondering about the rules here, because it is the first time I'm reading a part of The Rifter as I'm in this forum. What about spoilers? Anybody there not reading at the moment?

message 13: by orannia (last edited Jul 12, 2011 01:07PM) (new)

orannia | 123 comments I'm not reading it ATM as it didnt' appear in my Inbox before I went to bed - probably there now but I can't access it until tonight...the joys of time zones *grin* Had to start something else last night before I went mad so probably won't start The Holy Road until this weekend. So, I'll be avoiding this thread until I've finished. Happy reading everyone :)

message 14: by Em-nat (new)

Em-nat | 181 comments Antonella wrote: "I was wondering about the rules here, because it is the first time I'm reading a part of The Rifter as I'm in this forum. What about spoilers? Anybody there not reading at the moment?"

The rules of the thread say to “hide spoilers” (I have no idea how to do this) but I have a hard time imagining anyone not currently reading the books rolling through a thread about the books they haven’t read yet. Like Oriana, I think most readers tend to avoid the thread until after they’ve read the book.

Which I have. OH MY GOD. D:

Sorry ladies and gents, it seems we won’t be getting to the boat this time around. THE BOAT IS A LIE.

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Em-nat wrote: "THE BOAT IS A LIE. "

The boat isn't a lie. The boat is next month. :)

message 16: by Nicole (last edited Jul 12, 2011 02:34PM) (new)

Em-nat wrote: “hide spoilers” (I have no idea how to do this)"

You know what, I'll try and figure out if I can just put a warning that this thread might contain spoilers at the top how about that?

....okay, solved. Spoil away!

message 17: by Barb (new)

Barb Gilmour (barblikesbooks) Is t wrong that the very first thing I did with my kindle was a word search .... BOAT! ;-)
Antonella i think if a person is on the thread for that book that anything goes!!

message 18: by Barb (new)

Barb Gilmour (barblikesbooks) I generally start with how far I am in book %wise so people can judge if they want to read on or not

message 19: by Em-nat (new)

Em-nat | 181 comments Nicole wrote: "Em-nat wrote: "THE BOAT IS A LIE. "

The boat isn't a lie. The boat is next month. :)"

Oh, what a coincidence. Because the cake isn’t a lie either. Happy birthday to meeeee… :D

message 20: by Em-nat (last edited Jul 12, 2011 03:04PM) (new)

Em-nat | 181 comments So, I wake up on this pleasant July twelfth and roll over to find book 5 waiting for me. “This is shaping up to be a most excellent birthday” , I say to myself jauntily as I open the file. One book later and...HAPPY BIRTHDAY. EVERYONE YOU KNOW IS DEAD. Honestly, I shed a tear over Samsango there at the end.

And the implications of some of the information that was revealed …John actually knows that Ravishan is Kyle? AH! What does this mean for Kyle in the arc he currently inhabits?

But hey, I totally called that whole “something happens to Bill and Laurie incinerates everything within a five mile radius” thing , even if the 5 miles was condensed down to two and half city blocks. Still, that is a significant amount of things-on-fire.

And now, Fikiri has very good reason to despise John, because John is sort of responsible for Lady Bousim’s fate. I think that if anything fatal befalls Ravishan in the future (as I dread it might), it will be Fikiri’s revenge on John. Thus, the great animosity between Jath‘ibaye and Fikiri.

But Laurie, oh Laurie…. I wonder, since John swore his “sister” didn’t prctice witchcraft (that was pretty clever, by the way.), do you think she will still be flayed and become one of the Issusha’im? If she is…could Fikiri’s "lady" be Laurie and Bill’s soon-to-be-born daughter? More crack-pot theories? I has them!

message 21: by Barb (new)

Barb Gilmour (barblikesbooks) HaPpY BiRtHdAy *\o/*

message 22: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments Em-nat wrote: "Oh, what a coincidence. Because the cake isn’t a lie either. Happy birthday to meeeee… :D"

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!

message 23: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments Em-nat wrote: "But hey, I totally called that whole “something happens to Bill and Laurie incinerates everything within a five mile radius” thing , even if the 5 miles was condensed down to two and half city blocks. Still, that is a significant amount of things-on-fire. ."

Yes indeed, you called it! You can see why I had to just bite my tongue when I wanted to give you a big shout out!

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Em-nat wrote: "But hey, I totally called that whole “something happens to Bill and Laurie incinerates everything within a five mile radius” thing , even if the 5 miles was condensed down to two and half city blocks. Still, that is a significant amount of things-on-fire. "

Happy Birthday Em-nat! You truly did call that one.

message 25: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments Barb wrote: "I generally start with how far I am in book %wise so people can judge if they want to read on or not"

That's a very considerate way to go about it... I just have to try not to say too much... Though I assure you your boat is coming and it will be a two book ride. (Well, they do get off the boat but it's all Kyle)

message 26: by Nicole (new)

Em-nat wrote: "And the implications of some of the information that was revealed …John actually knows that Ravishan is Kyle? AH! What does this mean for Kyle in the arc he currently inhabits?."

I think you're going to like Book Six a lot.

message 27: by Em-nat (new)

Em-nat | 181 comments Barb wrote: "Serious :-) ... 25% in and it is 1:55am which means I am way too tired to read anymore!! So much for Dayyid and his redemption .. And now we know about the scars on the sides of Kyles mouth ; yet Kyle mach2 doesn't have them.. Does he?"

I know. I thought of you when Dayyid signed off. I thought "Aw, Barb will be so disappointed!" XD Sorry there, Barb.

And your Kyle mach2 comment made me laugh hysterically for about 5 minutes straight. I will now call him that forever. Thanks for that.

message 28: by Em-nat (new)

Em-nat | 181 comments Ginn wrote: "I just have to try not to say too much... Though I assure you your boat is coming and it will be a two book ride. (Well, they do get off the boat but it's all Kyle) "

Two books? HOLY AWESOMENESS, BATMAN.

I think Nicole is right. @,@ I think I will really enjoy book six...and book seven, from the sound of it.

message 29: by Em-nat (new)

Em-nat | 181 comments Thank you everyone for the happy birthdays <3 You’ve made me all jammy in my heart facsimile! Really, book five was an amazing gift. I’ve been looking forward to it like movie-buffs look forward to summer blockbusters. It’s a good day.

message 30: by Barb (new)

Barb Gilmour (barblikesbooks) It probably says a lot about me that I saw "got off" and "Kyle" and did a happy dance... There is soooo much more to your books so please don't let my shallow boat obsession make you think that is all I get from them ;-D
Cos it isn't ... It's just the way it ended on the boat left me wanting more! Still haven't got any further ... Gonna run the bath and read for a bit!! Book 6 huh... Oooooh you and that Lanyon are evil teasers!

message 31: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments Barb wrote: "It probably says a lot about me that I saw "got off" and "Kyle" and did a happy dance ..."

I can't tell you how hard I laughed reading that and realizing belatedly what I'd said! And all that it implies... :D

message 32: by Barb (new)

Barb Gilmour (barblikesbooks) Hehehe :-)

message 33: by Whit (new)

Whit (showmethelove) | 51 comments Just finished and WOW! I need to process for a minute.

message 34: by Whit (new)

Whit (showmethelove) | 51 comments Okay, I'm sure I'll just be spewing things out for a couple of days. So sorry!

I was thinking that Alidas maybe knew that Kyle was Ravishan. The of course look similar because they are the same person, plus the scars on his face are distinct.

Lots of death in this book. Ginn was in a killing mood ;) j/k I knew Behr was coming but I guess I just wasn't fully prepared for it. Samsango was sad :( I didn't care a bit about Dayyid except that they may get in trouble. I guess we don't KNOW that Lady Bousim is dead but it was strongly implied.

We know why Fikiri hates John. I'm scared to find out why John comes to hate Fikiri???? Yikes! I can't think about losing anyone else right now :(

I loved it!

message 35: by Whit (new)

Whit (showmethelove) | 51 comments Happy Birthday Em-nat!

message 36: by Barb (last edited Jul 12, 2011 11:03PM) (new)

Barb Gilmour (barblikesbooks) 71% - I loved the train ride with Alidas, Rav and Jahn - so sweet thinking of Kyle mach2 with Alidas too; when he mentioned about seeing his friend again, and not being sure if he would remember him my mind went all "Rifterese" on me and I had to flick back to see where Alidas had sent Kyle then thought, idiot that is in the future o.O

.. is that book of poems that Alidas has, that was John's from the market, the one that Kyle read and left a note about?? I just love love LOVE how Jahn knows that Kyle & Rav are one and the same - and his love and respect for Kyle are just building into such and intensely beautiful love story. I am almost crying already thinking of how it is going to end, but really contented tears, you know?

So Dayyid and shades of grey.. Yeah he just dyed black in an instant! So glad John did what he did! And then we meet Serahn who just seems evil.

I did laugh at the line... "the two sweeping arches. Their yellow stones made him think of rotting teeth and rancid butter." ......made me think of MacDonalds lol

When Jahn and Rav are chatting about choices Rav will have to face and that Jahn will help 100% it just really made me think that the note is from Jahn telling Kyle not to use the key... Can't they just stay away, just the 2 of them HEA-like . I just loved that thought of Kyle having watched over John from such a young age... Such a great book, series, journey, author... Sooooo good!

And I am so happy that it is released in series form - I am the worst for flicking forward - I would have totally ruined the whole experience by seeing what was going to happen. Quite likely I would have read the last page in fact!

message 37: by Barb (last edited Jul 12, 2011 11:39PM) (new)

Barb Gilmour (barblikesbooks) I will go back and check but.... Does Kyle mach2 have the scars on either side of his mouth? We know the prayer scars and his scars on his hands and arms are gone but I can't remember the mouth ones bing mentioned .. Thank heavens for kindle word searches ;-P

message 38: by Barb (last edited Jul 13, 2011 03:24AM) (new)

Barb Gilmour (barblikesbooks) Ok...The Shattered Gates - "the scar that sliced out from either side of his mouth.... almost to his ears"

Servants of the Crossed Arrows - Kahlil "only the corners of his mouth bore any testament to the wide scat (SCAR) that should have been there"

The Holy Road - " if John hadn't been there in Candle Alley ... the wounds would have been far worse"

ETA should have said scar not scat lol but scat is cool too :-)

message 39: by Em-nat (last edited Jul 13, 2011 02:42AM) (new)

Em-nat | 181 comments Barb wrote: "Servants of the Crossed Arrows - Kahlil "only the corners of his mouth bore any testament to the wide scar that should have been there" "

When I was rereading through this, I remember thinking how strange it was that Kyle bore no evidence of prayerscars yet still had a slight hint of the mouth-scars, even as small as they were. Why would he have no prayerscars but still have his mouthscars. Why would those scars be smaller...? NOW WE KNOW.

Of course, we still have yet to find out why Kyle has Ravishan's scars. x.x My crazy hypothesis still stands: the two timelines got spliced into the same dude. Someday we shall know all the secrets (shakes fists)!

message 40: by Barb (new)

Barb Gilmour (barblikesbooks) I think it is the same guy - Ravishan takes on the name Kahlil but when he goes to Nayesha he adopts the adaptation of Kyle. But I am scared that the fact he only has the small scars means that maybe he never becomes Kahlil now; I am still only at 71% so I am maybe talking total nonsense... But what if Fikiri becomes Kahlil instead... Ok I need to finish book before I carry on theorizing ... But the fact that John was in Candle Alley has definitely changed everything!! Btw I loved the blonde joke!!

message 41: by Antonella (new)

Antonella | 126 comments Hi, everybody! I had planned to comment along with my reading, but then I had no connection yesterday evening: I'm not at home and my sister-in-law switches off the Internet in case of a storm.

First of all I'd like again to say what an amazing ride this book is, light years away from some of the easy, sappy stories that are flourishing out there. No offense made to the writers/readers of sappy stories, I just don't need them.

Then I'll start fromthe first surprise I've got, even before the book beginning: in ''The book so far'' I read

//As the woman burns, John unknowingly shows the first hint of the true power that lies dormant within him by unconsciously summoning a torrent of rain.//

I went to reread, and now I see it, but I didn't noticed before. I did notice that it looked like a kind of ''intervention'', but I didn't connect it with John.

In general I love the visual/olfactory descriptions: I feel I'm there seeing and smelling the Harvest Fair.

I also liked the understanding John shows for Ravishan when he founds him in Candle Alley. But first he feels rage, which is the logical reaction.

BTW after Dayyid was dead I was so taken in the story I couldn't imagine how could they save themselves (I completely forgot that they will be starring in other 5 books ;-): the Fai’daum attack was brilliant idea.

And then the reactions of the priests: that the God’s Razor is unleashed on the innocent bystanders is not astounding considering the training they went through. And again John notices that he too would not have seen himself as capable to kill another human being till some weeks before: shades of gray, again...

That's it for the first part of the book. I'm looking forwards to your comments, which usually underline details I had missed or not valued enough.

message 42: by Barb (last edited Jul 13, 2011 04:15AM) (new)

Barb Gilmour (barblikesbooks) It is fun hey :-D
And one word about Dayyid was John semi appreciating the brutal training and treatment of the trainees as really vital preparation for them. I agree that the descriptive work is so powerful that it transports you; yet it doesn't leave you skimming bits because it is too much - it is just perfectly balanced!

message 43: by Barb (last edited Jul 13, 2011 05:33AM) (new)

Barb Gilmour (barblikesbooks) Finished! Man, that was insane! The best .. so far! I knew it was going to be a sad ending for Bill; but I still cried like a baby! And again for Samasango :-( such powerful writing Ginn. Incredible.

My god the power of John when that thunderstorm was rolling in; and the tears as it rained :-( then later the burning of those people and the emergence of Rav from the grey space - bringing that immediate calm to stop the fury.

Everything is so balanced - when John is thinking of the way gods razor cut down the innocent; yet how innocent were they baying for blood. and that end with Samsango was heartbreaking - knowing Samsango would never sacrifice all the other prisoners for his own safety; and that John would never be brave enough to have swallowed poison to save a friends suffering. God I cried and cried for both Samsango and Bill.

I am still perplexed from the prev book at Jahns determination that they never had a phone... the wires have definitely been crossed LOL

and you end with ... to be continued... THIS will be the longest wait so far. I am exhausted!! Brilliant Ginn, truly a great installment!!

message 44: by Antonella (new)

Antonella | 126 comments Seen this?
http://kassa011.wordpress.com/2011/07...

I usually appreciate Kassa's reviews, and this one is also well written, but I don't understand why she rates ''The Holy Road'' only 3,5 stars. As far as I understand it, this is mainly because

//the story ends on a bloody note without further action to help alleviate the depressing tone. So I ended the story feeling more morose than the well written story deserves.//

The review is in general positive. The other negative point quoted is the amount of ''bloody violence and death'', but it is seen in the context of the whole story.

Anyway I just asked Kassa here on Goodreads.

Probably 3,5 is not that bad ;-). It's just that I feel it deserves 5 stars...

message 45: by Nicole (new)

Barb wrote: "I am the worst for flicking forward - I would have totally ruined the whole experience by seeing what was going to happen. Quite likely I would have read the last page in fact!"

Me too. I think that's why I like the serial form as well. It saves me from myself.

message 46: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments Barb wrote: ""only the corners of his mouth bore any testament to the wide scat (SCAR) that should have been there"..."

That is quite the typo! :O
(What the heck has Kyle been up to?... No, I don't even want to know!)

message 47: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments Barb wrote: "
I did laugh at the line... "the two sweeping arches. Their yellow stones made him think of rotting teeth and rancid butter." ......made me think of MacDonalds lol..."

I was wondering if anyone would notice that. So pleased that you did!

message 48: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments Antonella wrote: "BTW after Dayyid was dead I was so taken in the story I couldn't imagine how could they save themselves (I completely forgot that they will be starring in other 5 books ;-)..."

That's about the best praise an author can hope for! Thanks.

message 49: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments Em-nat wrote: " Someday we shall know all the secrets (shakes fists)! "

I think I enjoy reading all the theories here as much as you enjoy discovering the secrets!

message 50: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments Barb wrote: "I am still perplexed from the prev book at Jahns determination that they never had a phone... the wires have definitely been crossed LOL "

I think it will be cleared up as to who did and who didn't share a house with John in Nayeshi in Rifter Book Six--"THE BOAT" ;D
... man, now I've got that song stuck in my head...

« previous 1 3