Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Looking for Lonely Male Protag novels

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paula (last edited Jul 11, 2011 10:51AM) (new)

Paula Williams (daystealer) | 43 comments Can you recommend great protagonists (male) who are lonely heroes for me to study? I'm thinking someone like Ender Wiggin and Bean in Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow. Can you point to someone somewhat likable but a loner and hero at the same time?
Others have pointed to Fang in Maximum Ride series. Any others?

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 36 comments Miles Vorkosigan. Not YA, but Ender's Game wasn't originally, IIRC. His story starts with The Warrior's Apprentice; though Shards of Honor is the first book in the series, it deals with Miles's mother.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie S. Maybe Stanley Yelants from Holes or Jonas from The Giver? I'm not quite sure what you mean by hero. Do you mean some kind of epic fantasy hero or just someone admirable?

message 4: by Arphaxad (new)

Arphaxad | 335 comments Perhaps Nick from The Demon's Lexicon (Demons, #1) by Sarah Rees Brennan , or Alex Rider from The Alex Rider Collection (Alex Rider, #1-3) by Anthony Horowitz (lonely-hero-ness more pronounced in the later books)?

Though I have to say, I can't think of anyone who even comes close to Ender. He's pretty much the epitome of the lonely hero!

Nikki (aka Quinn) | 69 comments I'm in the middle of reading White Cat (Curse Workers, #1) by Holly Black and he seems to fit the bill.
Also.. this series

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 36 comments I thought about recommending White Cat, but Cassel seems a bit more like an anti-hero to me, so I hesitated. Depends on what the OP is looking for, I guess. :)