Creative Reviews discussion

YA Fantasy/Paranormal Reviews > Lady: My Life as a Bitch

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lena (new)

Lena | 191 comments Lady: My Life as a Bitch Lady: My Life as a Bitch by Melvin Burgess

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When I tell people what this book is about, it sounds stupid even to me. "Um, it's about a girl who gets turned into a dog, and like, she's really trying to turn back into a human, you know, man?"

Yeah, sounds like a stoned person came up with that plot.

But, somehow Melvin Burgess pulls it off. Probably because he's Melvin Burgess, and pretty close to a literary god, or at least a genius. This is just one more Burgess book that I could not put down. I read it straight through, start to finish. His writing is so completely absorbing and addicting that I can't even tell you for sure if he's a 'good' writer, or if he does any of the things that annoy me. I'm too sucked in to the story to even notice.

This was the first book I read by Burgess, and the others were even better. I only wish I could get my hands on more. His books should come with an advisory, because they are like literary crack. Plus, they are definitely for the 16-and-up crowd.

I really could have done without the dog sex, but it wasn't too graphic. I really liked the line that waiting til you're 16 to have sex was like having your parents standing over the bed giving you their blessing. I still remember that line to this day. Of course there is sex and teenagers behaving badly, because it's Melvin Burgess. Some of the parts about the dog were silly, but in an endearing way. Otherwise, I had no complaints, but knowing how much better his other books are, I can only give this three stars.

View all my reviews

message 2: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments This sounds like a great book! And too fun!
A great beach read maybe?

message 3: by Lena (new)

Lena | 191 comments yes! very bizarre, but good.

message 4: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments lol.

message 5: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 979 comments Again, thought is might be about the ex-wife...

Actually though, sounds like a good read lol.

Splitter

message 6: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments HA HA HA
this ex of yours sounds awful!!

message 7: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 979 comments Version 2.0 more than makes up for it though :).

I love quirky stories, I may have to seek this one out.

Splitter