Life of Pi Life of Pi question

Do you think the Author's Note is also fiction?
Lynn Lynn Jul 11, 2011 09:37AM
I believe his Note isn't even true. If so, great introduction to the story... hooked me right there.

The author's note blends both fictitious and true statements. For example, he thanks Moacyr Scliar (the author of a similar novel) for the "spark of life"--- which is true--- but also thanks the protagonist of the novel for providing info to him--- which is obviously fiction.

I think the whole point of the introductory note is to prep the reader for the rejection of realism that will ensue in the course of the novel. Thus, fiction and fact blend together, and it is hard to sort out what is what.... "and so it is with God."

I one of the major things about the story was bending reality: what's real and what isn't (especially with the ending). I think the note adds to that obscurity.

But I'm positive it's fake.

I've heard this question so many times about Life of Pi and I'm always confused by it. I never thought it was anything but fiction and now I wonder if I missed something? One of my co-workers asked me 'do you believe it?' and I'm sure I said something belittling to her like "it's fiction". I better apologize now, as it seems lots of people questioned that. EEK!

The author's note is definitely fiction.

I agree with you though, it's very compelling on it's own and definitely drew me into he book.

Loved the bits about sloth research.

Yeah, it's fiction.

Of course, its existence begs the question about the line the writer draws in writing fiction. How far does a fiction go? How much of the writer is in each work?

This answer is variable based upon the writer, of course, but the question of the line between reality and fantasy in art is really a fascinating thing to look at and discuss (and not only in books--who's seen Fargo?).

I'm willing to bet it was "relatively true" the same way a poem can be a true emotional experience even though it describes impossibilities. It seems like Martel's style to start with real elements and then add in fictional bits that made the heart of the story more real, if that makes sense. Maybe those particular events didn't really happen that way, but they are more true to the emotion he was looking for. He loves to play with the lines between fiction and truth in his book Beatrice and Virgil, too. Martel has an interesting brain.

It's fiction. Yann Martel has even said so. The author's note was used as a tool to help support his theme of belief. Anything is believable if you give it the guise of reality, which is exactly what Martel has done with the his story by including the author's note.