The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

did Katniss actually like Peeta? and does peeta like Katniss?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by JNo (new) - rated it 5 stars

JNo i was confused. i mean did Peeta actually love Katniss? or was that just fake? that really confused me. and did Katniss actually like Peeta when she kissed him in the Hunger Games?

message 2: by JNo (new) - rated it 5 stars

JNo please help me figure it out :)

Kristin Sanders Peeta really does love Katniss. He at least has some strong feelings for her. Katniss is just pretending, but deep down has some feelings for Peeta.

Juliet love, not like

message 5: by maddie (last edited Jul 11, 2011 11:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

maddie She didn't love him in the beginning and was sort of faking in the arena, but Peeta LOVED her. So did she, she just didn't know!!! 

Allen ABH I know they love each other in the end but another part of me says its fake (even though it not)and they're perfect for each other especially after all they went through and saw. Its just they aren't a typical teenage relationship that i see in most young adult books ya know? :P

Julia Love your picture, jordan

Jazz Peeta is definitely in love with Katniss. At the very beginning, I don't think Katniss has any romantic feeling toward Peeta, but by the end of the book, she is falling in love with him. And by the end of the series, she loves him completely.

maddie At the beginning she couldn't even recall the boy with the breads name so she couldn't have felt anything anyways, although I think she might have felt a twinge of something when he gave her the bread. It was such a tiny doing but filled with so much lovee and kindness, I actually wonder why she never confronted him or realized it was more than what she though it was meant to be.

message 10: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina Garza I think that in Katniss's own way, she really loved Peeta. But you have to ask yourself, what would you do if you lived in such harsh conditions where the people you love are in danger every single day?

I think you'll find that Katniss's reaction to Peeta, the on again, off again love she shows him, is dead on with what she has to face on a daily basis. If she really shows just how much she loves him and the Capital decides to use that against her, it could have crippled her ability to survive in the arena.

Plus, I think it was more obvious that Peeta had a profound love of her, which is what the Capital latches on to to ultimately hurt Katniss. So, in a way, you get to see how love, whether it be cold and distant like Katniss's, or sweet and enduring like Peeta's, works in this novel. I think, as a reader, I want to believe that they truly loved each other, regardless of the situations they faced.

MizziQ I think she did remember the kindness he showed to her with the bread but didn't really remeber much more. In the games I think she realized that she had feelings for him but she was desperately trying NOT to love him because she knew either he or her would end up dead in the games. She had no idea the hunger games would ever turn out that was so she tried not to. After she was encouraged to fake it with Peeta later on she kind of liked it. When they get out Peeta realizes that she was faking so he assumes she was faking the whole time and he had been played into being a fool.

So I think there was love there but it was all at the wrong placed moments and it just didn't turn out the way they either hoped. I think it was an issue more of misscommunication then no love.

Lydia I think that Peeta really did love Katniss! He wasn't faking :) I think at the beginning of the first book she was faking but (especially when Peeta was sick) she began to have feelings for him too. But by the time they got back from the first Hunger Games she was still confused which created a huge mess with Peeta. But by the end of the 3rd book, Katniss really does love Peeta as much as he loves her. I loved the last paragraph in Mockingjay.."That what I need to survive is not Gale’s fire, kindled with rage and hatred. I have plenty of fire myself. What I need is the dandelion in the spring. The bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction. The promise that life can go on, no matter how bad our losses. That I can be good again. And only Peeta can give me that.
So after, when he whispers, “You love me. Real or not real?”
I tell him, “Real.”

maddie Tha last paragraph shows true love and I know at the very beginning that Peeta was so deeply in love her, and I truley believe that when he was on stage he did not ever lie about one thing and that includes his love for katniss!!!

Stephanie JNo wrote: "i was confused. i mean did Peeta actually love Katniss? or was that just fake? that really confused me. and did Katniss actually like Peeta when she kissed him in the Hunger Games?"

You've gotta read the other books :) It will clear everything up.

Chantelle JNo wrote: "i was confused. i mean did Peeta actually love Katniss? or was that just fake? that really confused me. and did Katniss actually like Peeta when she kissed him in the Hunger Games?"

the author made it so painfully obvious that Peeta was head-over heels in love with Katniss.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

*spoiler alert*
Peeta always loved Katniss. However, she faked it in the first book. In Catching Fire, she began to fall for him. And in Mockingjay, in the end, she loved him.. Peeta-"You love me Real or Fake?" Katniss-"Real."
<3 <3 <3

Debra Driza Forget Katniss...I LOVE PEETA!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

:D

(but I agree with what everyone said above. Peeta always had feelings for Katniss, and he was able to embrace them more fully bc of his more secure upbringing and inherent personality. Whereas Katniss was afraid to allow herself to care for anyone outside of her circle (Prim, Mom, Gale) for fear of having them die or ripped away or used against her. Peeta is more of an optimism, Katniss more of a pessimist, I'd say.

Karen They realized they love each other at last and that was soooo nice like :""">

Karen JNo wrote: "i was confused. i mean did Peeta actually love Katniss? or was that just fake? that really confused me. and did Katniss actually like Peeta when she kissed him in the Hunger Games?"

at fist it was fake to make the viewers believe that it was true but as time goes by he fall in love to katniss :">

message 20: by Jazz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jazz Kaley:) wrote: "*spoiler alert*
Peeta always loved Katniss. However, she faked it in the first book. In Catching Fire, she began to fall for him. And in Mockingjay, in the end, she loved him.. Peeta-"You love me R..."

Actually, I thought the fall started in the first book, once she finaly realized that he was on her side. Then it continued through Catching Fire, and by Mockingjay was firmly in love.

I love the last paragraph in Mockingjay:)

Kaleigh - Captain Bubbles ESTP(intj) I think Peeta likes Katniss, but, Katniss doesn't like Peeta.

Melissa Lydia wrote: "I think that Peeta really did love Katniss! He wasn't faking :) I think at the beginning of the first book she was faking but (especially when Peeta was sick) she began to have feelings for him too..."

That quote choked me up so bad!! God I love Peeta!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

same

Kaleigh - Captain Bubbles ESTP(intj) I like the other boy better. What was his name again? The one who hunts with Katniss. And he calls Katniss Catnip.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

gale?

((everyone, check out this group if you REALLY love the hunger games http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/4...))

Tavia Yeah, his name is Gale. I mean, they both love Katniss, but I prefer Peeta. There's just something about him...

Dondre ~what in tha name of everything magical!?!~ then what happened to Gale after Katniss loved Peeta. I mean, Gale And Katniss would've made a nice pair.

Veronica Frankly speaking, Katniss and Peeta are amazing book characters, but as actual people I can't stand them! Katniss, no I don't think she really LOVES Peeta at all. More like she's a slave to the fact that he's unbelievably kind to her, so she feels like she HAS to be nice to him. And he is her only line to/memory of home, so she clings to the idea more than him as a person. But true love, no. I don't think Katniss could really feel any thing of the sort for anyone except Prim and her father. But Peeta, ya he is definitely in love with Katniss,who is a complete jerk. Poor Peeta. And...

*SPOILER ALERT!*
*SPOILER ALERT!*
*SPOILER ALERT!*
*SPOILER ALERT!*
*SPOILER ALERT!!*

Honestly, I don't think that Katniss truly loved Peeta EVEN after they were married. The way she described her relationship with him convinced me that she didn't really feel anything towards him except obligation, convenience and self-benefit, which... disgusts me to say the least. Terrible person, but an amazing book character/archetype. Suzanne Collins = genius

message 29: by chicken (new) - added it

chicken the book is awesome

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Veronica wrote: "Frankly speaking, Katniss and Peeta are amazing book characters, but as actual people I can't stand them! Katniss, no I don't think she really LOVES Peeta at all. More like she's a slave to the fac..."

She did love him!! Do you honestly think she just flat out lied to him?

Julia yeah he luvs her, duh

Candace Hinnergardt I think that Peeta loved Katniss without a doubt, but the issue of Katniss loving Peeta is a more complicated.
I think that Katniss had feelings for him in the beginning that wasn't exactly love, but there was affection. In the end, there was this need between them like when you go through something really horrendous and there is only one person who knows what that's like. They just needed each other to lean on and sometimes that's what love is.

Candace Hinnergardt Tito wrote: "I know they love each other in the end but another part of me says its fake (even though it not)and they're perfect for each other especially after all they went through and saw. Its just they aren..."

I agree...I think people have this set definition of what "true love" is, but the thing is is that love can't be defined.

Lea (Peeta's #1 Fangirl!) I believe that Katniss loved Peeta in the 2nd and 3rd book and about halfway in the 2nd...In the 1st she said she didn't want to lose HIM.. Then in the second he was more like her protector and you have to love someone dearly to give up your life for them??! In the 3rd at the end it is just like loud and clear. I <3 the last paragraph!!

Ebony Peeta loves her. He wasn't pretending. But Katniss......I think she was acting but has a pitch of feeling for him. I mean, if she didn't, she wouldn't have kept him alive with her at the end.

message 37: by Mira (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mira I truly believe that Katniss doesn't love him. She may have feelings for him, but it isn't true love. Katniss never experienced love so she thinks that just because she has strong feelings for Peeta that it's love. I have no doubt that Peeta loves Katniss with every fiber of his being but not Katniss. The feelings that she received from him were along the lines of safety(he was the safe choice), comfort(he was able to comfort her in a beat friend way), love(she felt loved), loyalty(she felt the need to be loyal because he was), and friendship. Those feelings influenced her and made her believe she was in love. When she really wasn't.

Lea (Peeta's #1 Fangirl!) I don't agree with that.... So are you saying that she had true love for Gale?? Or you just don't think she loves him???

Swift Shadow Katniss loves Peeta !!! Try not to see the story through Katniss' perspective :)

Kasha I think Katniss loves Peeta, in her different way. Not everybody loves like everybody :).

Danielle I think that she loves him but holds back because she is scared of having kids and what Gale will think. Maybe she loves both of them? I know it would be hard 4 me 2 descide.

Rachel She does love both of them, but by the end her and Gale have grown apart and she realises that Peeta is the one she needs in her life!

Danielle thats true! but not everyone has read that far i have but...... I LOVE THESE BOOKS! theres always more and its so detailed. I did not enjoy the ending though ;(

message 44: by Ali (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ali i think she really luvs Gale but she and Peeta have been through so many life-changing experiences, that she thinks she loves him but its a fake

Danielle that could make sence, but i think Gale plays apart in which she is scared to love Peeta. man her life is So messed up ;) but maybe its because of her worry about kids in the world?

Angelu of course Peeta likes Katniss, in fact he's in love with her. And I think Katniss likes him too. I mean it's obvious.

message 47: by Ruth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth Belano She loves Peeta. At first she wasn't sure, yet. She realized sooner :)

Lea (Peeta's #1 Fangirl!) I think so too. She was just sorta afraid I suppose...Because she "choose" Gale in CF because she said he (Peeta) was something of the Capitol..There were like signs..Like the eyelash scene,when she wanted Peeta to comfort he but then she remminded herself of Gale..I don't exactly know what "real" love is...so like it's just what I think

Ebony Hey, you all should totally check out my profile to see what Ive written. Plzz?!

Danielle kk i will what u write...well i guess ill find out right

« previous 1