Fantasy and Vampire Book Club discussion

General Chit Chat > Anyone here read the Buffy books?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mairéad (new)

Mairéad | 10 comments So the show was on t.v when I was a kid but for the most part I wasn't allowed to watch it (too violent apparently! :P) but funnily enough my Dad introduced me to 'Charmed' and 'Xena The Warrior Princess', which I found to be equally violent and sexual and filled with demons and what not!

Anyway...

I've seen these Buffy and Charmed books around for years, they're little pocket books based on the series. I picked up a Buffy one the other day called 'Blooded' at a second hand bookshop. I'm surprised at how good it seems! I haven't read much yet but I assumed that they would be poorly written compared to other novels of the same genre because they don't have to try as hard, because they're not creating the characters from scratch and have the success of the t.v show to draw in potential readers!

so yes just a few quick question about the series:

-can I jump in anywhere, I have the 5th book, would it be a better idea to read the books that came before this book?

-on a scale of 1 to 10 how well are they written, I mean are they written like The Princess Diaries series or the Olsen twins books? :/
I'm not that picky (and I know that they're not intended to be become literary classics) but from the first page I've read I saw that Buffy described the vampire as 'badly-in-need-of-Weight-Watchers' ....seems a bit juvenile! The rest is fine!

So are they worth it? I'm 19 by the way! Haha but I love vampires!

message 2: by April (last edited Jul 12, 2011 03:06PM) (new)

April Inman (illustratergirl) | 64 comments I want to read the Buffy and Charmed books but can't seem to find them. Who's the Author(s) of those series? I got away with watching Xena the warrior princess and Hercules, But not with Buffy, untill I moved out and got caught up with the show. Charmed started after I had moved out and I loved that show. My Youngest son is even named after Pipper's two boys on the show lol.

message 3: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Adele (turtil) | 1767 comments Mod
OMG i loved those shows! i wasn't into buffy or angel much as they were on a school night and too late at night. however i'm looking to get them all on DVD(literally all-xena hercules, charmed, buffy and angel).

the books. i have seen the books, i can't remember where. definately haven't read them. i'll do a search for them.... this bothers me, you know where you know where something is, yet can't find it!

message 4: by Adele, Moderator (last edited Jul 12, 2011 08:57PM) (new)

ok i'm back. I have added a charmed series bookshelf.
but Constance M. Burge has written the Majority of Charmed series is By her with several different co writers. and if you check out the co writers, you will find some intresting stuff.

such as Diana G. Gallagher– who has written some Buffy, Charmed, sabrina, smallville books.

Paul Ruditis – who has done some star trek, sabrina, charmed, and heaps of others film and tv series books.

ooh and Emma Harrison is worth checking out too.

hmm xena and hercules books still are hiding. this warrents for further investigation.

also Mairead you might want to try reading other peoples reviews on the books. and thank you for inspiring me for a reVAMP of an existing topic we have here. i'll be back once it's done.

and while i'm at it i'll look for xena an hercules authors.

message 5: by April (new)

April Inman (illustratergirl) | 64 comments Oooh! I just remember another tv series I came across on Amazon that has books out as well: "Supernatural", Dean and Sam Winchester. Love those brothers on the show. I think a bunch of different authors write them?

message 6: by Adele, Moderator (new)

april. that is exactly what i'm going to do is have like a refrence for people who want to read the books from/insipered by the series/movie.
it will take some doing, but i can get it done by the end of the week.(rather busy here at work, so i'm not able to do as much as i usually can)

message 7: by Justine (new)

Justine Saulnier (goodreadscombookworm247) | 46 comments Never heard of them are they any good?

message 8: by April (new)

April Inman (illustratergirl) | 64 comments Justine wrote: "Never heard of them are they any good?"

Supernatural is a tv series about these brothers, Dean and Sam Winchester who are Hunters of the Supernatural and help keep the world safe from evil demons. It airs on Friday nights on the CW channel. Dean is played by Jason Ackles (Days of Our Lives, Dark Angel, and Smallville). I really like the show.

message 9: by Mairéad (new)

Mairéad | 10 comments April wrote: "I want to read the Buffy and Charmed books but can't seem to find them. Who's the Author(s) of those series? I got away with watching Xena the warrior princess and Hercules, But not with Buffy, unt..."

They have several different authors, but mostly Christopher Golden and Nancy Holder. I'd say your best bet is the Y.A of your local library (but the may be in storage at this stage!). I found lots of them on a site called The Book Depository (it's a UK website but it has free delivery worldwide, as long as they deliver to your country!) (:

Oh and really cool about how you named your son! ^^

message 10: by Mairéad (new)

Mairéad | 10 comments Adele wrote: "ok i'm back. I have added a charmed series bookshelf.
but Constance M. Burge has written the Majority of Charmed series is By her with several different co writers. and if you check..."

Cool! Thanks for going to all that trouble Adele! ^^
Much appreciated!!

message 11: by Mairéad (new)

Mairéad | 10 comments April wrote: "Oooh! I just remember another tv series I came across on Amazon that has books out as well: "Supernatural", Dean and Sam Winchester. Love those brothers on the show. I think a bunch of different au..."

Ya what's the big deal with that series? Besides the two brothers being hot?! XD I see a lot of fan girls online gushing over it! Haha is it like True Blood?
I don't follow True Blood, when I do see it though I think it's pretty cool, like they have Evan Rachel Wood on now as Queen Vampire! But they have a lot of sex and nudity and sometimes I'm just like is that what it's all about? What happened to the Queen Vampire? hahaha but I can't really comment because I don't follow it regularly so maybe it's not like that all the time!

message 12: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (goodreadscomllovely) | 3 comments Nancy Holder wrote most of the Buffy books that continue after the show ended.. i read the first one where the all leave sunnydale, angel leaves la it was good. altho one thing i miss is how on Buffy the vampires just turn to dust,instead of a gross mess like on True Blood, def miss that less gross dust!!