Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Weekly Reading > What Are You Reading July 11?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Okie (last edited Jul 11, 2011 07:25AM) (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2038 comments Mod
Happy Monday! I'm still reading The Bar Code Rebellion but when I'm done with it, I plan on starting Timeless by Alexandra Monir.

message 2: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1881 comments Mod
I finished up Christie Ridgway's Can't Hurry Love last night and loved it. She really created a wonderful little world in wine country. I'm going to miss those characters.

message 3: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2060 comments Mod
Over the weekend I read An Irresistible Bachelor by J R Ward writing as Jessica Bird. Fun, although not overwhelming. I notice that they've reissued the first book in her Moorehouse series under a new name--Rebel. I wonder if she's going to complete the OBanyon series that grew out of that series--anyone heard anything?

message 4: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
This week I am going to try to read Nobody's Princess and Nobody's Prizeby Esther M. Friesner. They are a YA series about Helen of Troy.

message 5: by Manda (new)

I haven't heard anything about her returning to the O'Banyon's, D. Though I wish she would. But that re-title for the first Moorehouse book is terrible. Guess they're trying to appeal to the BDB crowd but ugh.

message 6: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2060 comments Mod
Yes, I think so--the cover suggests that too. I have tried a couple fo the DBD books but can't get through them--there are some really impressive bits but surrounded by so much other stuff.

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 985 comments Dls wrote: "Yes, I think so--the cover suggests that too. I have tried a couple fo the DBD books but can't get through them--there are some really impressive bits but surrounded by so much other stuff."

I actually loved the BDB books, but I had to develop a thick skin concerining profanity. The imaginative sex was fun, and seeing a huge man felled by love is always entertaining.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 985 comments I'm about to finish Waking Up With the Duke. Ms. Heath had to develop a delicate touch for her storytelling in this novel, and pulls it off well. If you liked the Desperate Duchesses series, you'll like this.

message 9: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2060 comments Mod
Its not just the profanity in the BDB books--there is a huge amount of violence. At the same time her romantic relationships are handled very interestingly. I wish she would go back to books like her Jessica Bird books, which to my mind play more to her strengths.

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 985 comments I guess I am just not that sensitive to violence in fiction. It must be the courses I took in Military History in college (how many bloody World War I battles did I get to read about before I was just too tired to get all worked up...)

message 11: by Manda (new)

I wasn't bothered by the profanity or the violence (not sure what that says about me!) but I did get burned out on the slang. And just burned out on the series in general.

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 985 comments I got burned by the continuing Homosexual agenda-related plot. Sorry, that's just not for me.

message 13: by Monica (new)

Monica | 548 comments Mod
I've only read the first one in the series so far... I liked it, but I haven't rushed out to get the second one, YET. I'm sure I'll read it though...

message 14: by Okie (new)

I got burned out after the 4th book. I liked the series but she has introduced so many characters and I just got tired of it. She just put out a new book so I might reread the first few and dive into this new one.

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 985 comments Change of topic back to Historical Romances... I just finished Isobel Carr's Ripe for Pleasure. It was pretty good, didn't need the three f-bombs, though. They don't add to the story, and just take away one of the reasons I prefer historicals. This book seemed to snowball as it went along; got better and better with each chapter. Her next book, Ripe for Scandal, will come out on August 23rd. No, I don't know her, and I paid for this book myself.

message 16: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (mindylu32) | 26 comments I'm going to start reading the second book in the Hunger Games series - Catching Fire and I'm really excited to read it!!

message 17: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (mindylu32) | 26 comments In response to those talking about the BDB books. I have to say I love those books. I do think maybe she takes the swearing, slang and other things a little too far...there was one scene in Lover Unleashed I could have done without but I didn't let it hinder me from the sweet love story wound in there of Payne and Manny. And I think it is no secret that I have a HUGE crush on Vishous!!

message 18: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2060 comments Mod
I'm reading The Secret Mistress. I'm really impressed by how she makes a relationship between such different people credible

message 19: by Monica (new)

Monica | 548 comments Mod
I just finished Mad about the Duke, by Elizabeth Boyle. It was pretty good! Not sure what to pick up next...

Mrs.ColinBridgerton | 62 comments Hello everyone!
I'm having a devil of a time reading romances right now, which worries me since I was in the same rot not too long ago. Anyway, decided to give medival a chance, so I am reading George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones after having watched season 1 on HBO and its amazing! Both show and book ;-)

Mrs.ColinBridgerton | 62 comments Dls wrote: "Yes, I think so--the cover suggests that too. I have tried a couple fo the DBD books but can't get through them--there are some really impressive bits but surrounded by so much other stuff."

I hear you! I read a few, maybe 3 or 4 and liked them well enough, but I will admit that they made me uncomfortable. I'm open minded and used to violence and other things, but it seemed to me at points that the author was writing things for shock value and not necesarily for the benefit of the story line. So I stopped reading the books.

message 22: by Okie (new)

Enjoy the series, Mindy! I LOVED it!

Monica, I really liked EB's MATD too :)

My Friday read is Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

message 23: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (mindylu32) | 26 comments Mrs.ColinBridgerton wrote: "Hello everyone!
I'm having a devil of a time reading romances right now, which worries me since I was in the same rot not too long ago. Anyway, decided to give medival a chance, so I am reading Geo..."

I soo want to read those too! I absolutely loved the show!

Mrs.ColinBridgerton | 62 comments Dooo Eeet! lol Seriously do it. So far, GoT is amazing! I haven't gotten very far cause I haven't gotten much time but I plan to dedicate a lot of time to it this weekend. But so far the book is amazing and what I truly love about it is that each chapter is told from a different PoV of one of the main characters, which makes things more interesting ;-) I'm loving it so far!

message 25: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (mindylu32) | 26 comments Ok now I really want to read them and I already have too many books to read!

message 26: by Okie (new)

I finished reading Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini this morning- LOVED it!! Next up for me is: Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore, Hounded by Kevin Hearne, and Illusions by Aprilynne Pike.