Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Fantasy > The Riyria Revelations: Old School Fun Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (last edited Jul 11, 2011 07:02AM) (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 14 comments Hello all,
I thought I would take a minute to introduce myself. My name is Michael and I've written a six-book fantasy series (The Riyria Revelations which consists of the following 5 released books):

The Crown Conspiracy (The Riyria Revelations, #1) by Michael J. Sullivan Avempartha (The Riyria Revelations, #2) by Michael J. Sullivan Nyphron Rising (The Riyria Revelations, #3) by Michael J. Sullivan The Emerald Storm (The Riyria Revelations, #4) by Michael J. Sullivan Wintertide (The Riyria Revelations, #5) by Michael J. Sullivan

The series was recently picked up by Orbit (Fantasy Imprint of #2 Publisher Hachette Book Group) and they will be re-releasing the seires as 3 books:

Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations) by Michael J. Sullivan Rise of Empire by Michael J. Sullivan Heir of Novron (Riyria Revelations) by Michael J. Sullivan

The only book that's not "out there" is the final Percepliquis which will be in Heir of Novron and also released as a stand alone.

In addition to the English versions I also have a number of foreign sales (Germany, Russia, Spain, France, Czech Republic).

I think Greg Hersom at Fantasy Literature summed up the series well so I'll repeat what he wrote:

Books like The Crown Conspiracy have too long been missing from the genre.

Royce and Hadrian are professional thieves who call themselves the Riyria. Royce is small, agile, dexterous and, on the surface, the meaner of the two; he would be the brains of the outfit. Hadrian is big, strong, an expert with weapons, and more easy-going; he’s the brawn. When they take a job that seems too good to be true, they find themselves framed for the assassination of the king and become fugitives with a prince in tow.

In a genre that is overwhelmed by series of wheelbarrow-sized door-stopper-volumes with plots so complicated that only the author can follow them, and long waits for the next book, The Riyria Revelations is a much needed return to fantasy’s grassroots. For fans who miss the straightforward adventurous tales — the stories that got a lot of us 35+ year-olds hooked on fantasy to begin with — The Crown Conspiracy brings back that excitement. When I started reading about Royce and Hadrian, Lieber's famous sword-and-sorcery duo, Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, immediately came to mind, but I actually like The Riyria Revelations better.

Mr. Sullivan writes in such a way that within only a few paragraphs the reader becomes immersed in the adventure without even realizing they just left the real world. He actually makes the plot seems simpler than it really is. Unlike many authors who claim that each book in their series is a self-contained story, The Riyria Revelations truly are. I’m now halfway into the second one, Avempartha, and it’s easy to tell that they can be read in any order. And somehow, Sullivan is still able to thread each complete tale into a larger story. It’s nothing short of genius.

A few pages into The Crown Conspiracy, and I found myself as delighted as a cat who caught a mouse. I’ve been reading “dark” and “gritty” fantasy for so long that I forgot how enjoyable it can be to follow the adventures of heroes instead of anti-heroes. This is the first new fantasy series in years (except for David Gemmell’s novels) that didn’t make me feel like I was committing to another epic that will most likely last longer than my first marriage. Books like these have too long been missing from the genre. Michael Sullivan has brought back the pure fun of reading fantasy.

message 2: by Ron (new)

Ron (roncn) | 8 comments It's a pleasure to meet you, Michael! And that's nothing short of the truth, for I admire your writing and count the Riyria revelations among my most wished-for books.

I have to admit that I did not discover the series until after they were taken over by Orbit (it was a post about the cover that made me look everything up).

Then, I bought and read The Crown Conspiracy in e-book format... and decided to wait for the three printed, "collector" deal. These are not books to read and forget: they are great! I'd want them signed if I could get them -and that's without having read them all yet.

So, indeed, a pleasure to meet you and welcome =)