Black Dagger Brotherhood Book Club discussion

Monthly Book Discussions > BDB #4: Lover Revealed

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Gooding (agooding) | 24 comments Mod
Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4) by J.R. Ward Welcome to the Black Dagger Brotherhood Book Club!

This month, we read Book 4 in the Series: Lover Revealed. About the book (Goodreads): In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, a deadly turf war rages between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race.

Butch O'Neal is a fighter by nature. A hard-living ex-homicide cop, he's the only human ever to be allowed in the inner circle of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. And he wants to go even deeper into the vampire world-to engage in the turf war with the lessers. His heart belongs to a female vampire, Marissa, an aristocratic beauty who's way out of his league. And if he can't have her, then at least he can fight side by side with the Brothers.

But fate curses him with the very thing he wants. When Butch sacrifices himself to save a civilian vampire from the slayers, he falls prey to the darkest force in the war. Left for dead, he's found by a miracle, and the Brotherhood calls on Marissa to bring him back, though even her love may not be enough to save him.

I'm going to post just the questions and linky list on the post. I'll come back and post again with my answers so the post isn't too cluttered! =)

As far as answering the questions: these are just meant to provoke thought and get you talking about the book. With that being said, we'd all appreciate a more thorough response than "yes" or "no," but, of course, that will be up to you! Feel free to add your book club post to this link at any time -- late joiners are always welcome! =)

And now, this month's questions:
1. On a scale from 1-5, what would you rate this book? Briefly tell us why.

2. A lot goes on with Butch in this book. What did you think of his past? And what about that revelation his mom makes at the end of the book? Do you think we'll ever discover who is Dad really is?

3. I had kind of foreseen Butch becoming a vampire, however, I did not see the lesser incident occurring. What did you think of Butch's encounter with the Omega? What about his abilities that stemmed from this incident?

4. We've never seen a new member inducted into the brotherhood... what did you think about this ritual?

5. Speaking of rituals, what do you think about the mating ritual? It was detailed in the first book, but we've seen glimpses of it in each book since.

6. Let's talk about John. We saw some pretty unusual behavior from him in this book. Most of it strengthened my idea of him being Darius... what do think?

7. We saw a lot of V in this book, which makes sense given his relationship with Butch. What do you think about those two being two halves of a whole? The Destroyer and the Savior?

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Gooding (agooding) | 24 comments Mod
1. On a scale from 1-5, what would you rate this book? Briefly tell us why.
I only rated this one a four. While it was still really great, I felt it was slower than the others and got bored with it a few times.

2. A lot goes on with Butch in this book. What did you think of his past? And what about that revelation his mom makes at the end of the book? Do you think we'll ever discover who is Dad really is?
I thought Butch's past really explained a lot about him as a person. I wondered where the vampire in him came from, so it was not shocking to me when I found out he had a different father than his siblings. I don't know if we'll ever find out who his dad is, but I'm really hoping we do!

3. I had kind of foreseen Butch becoming a vampire, however, I did not see the lesser incident occurring. What did you think of Butch's encounter with the Omega? What about his abilities that stemmed from this incident?
I thought it was just crazy! But it was really a fantastic twist. It's events like these that make Ward's books so great. You never know what's going to happen.

4. We've never seen a new member inducted into the brotherhood... what did you think about this ritual?
It was definitely par for the course with their other rituals. I myself am not a fan of the violence, but I can understand why they do what they do. You have to be strong to be a brother, so it's necessary.

5. Speaking of rituals, what do you think about the mating ritual? It was detailed in the first book, but we've seen glimpses of it in each book since.
In a weird way, I kind of like that they carve their mate's name into their back. I have no idea why, but something about the level of devotion is just really touching!

6. Let's talk about John. We saw some pretty unusual behavior from him in this book. Most of it strengthened my idea of him being Darius... what do think?
I am dying to know what's up with John. I hope we get some answers in the next book!

7. We saw a lot of V in this book, which makes sense given his relationship with Butch. What do you think about those two being two halves of a whole? The Destroyer and the Savior?
I LOVED this! I was afraid V would feel left out after Butch found Marissa, so it was great that Ward found a way to keep the two connected.

message 3: by Nakesha (new)

Nakesha Brown (nakeshab) | 5 comments And now, this month's questions:
1. On a scale from 1-5, what would you rate this book? Briefly tell us why. 4.5! I was pleasantly suprised by this book. At first, I didn't want to read it because Butch wasn't one of my favorite characters but he definitely grew on me in this book.

2. A lot goes on with Butch in this book. What did you think of his past? And what about that revelation his mom makes at the end of the book? Do you think we'll ever discover who is Dad really is? I thought it explained a lot about him but more than anything it really made me feel sorry for the kid. Him not having the same dad made a lot of sense.

3. I had kind of foreseen Butch becoming a vampire, however, I did not see the lesser incident occurring. What did you think of Butch's encounter with the Omega? What about his abilities that stemmed from this incident? I thought it was a little weird but the fact that it gave him this interesting new power, I thought was awesome. However, for a while I thought it was going to kill him though.

4. We've never seen a new member inducted into the brotherhood... what did you think about this ritual? I like the ritual. It put him on the same level as the other brothers. He took one fore the team so to speak.

5. Speaking of rituals, what do you think about the mating ritual? It was detailed in the first book, but we've seen glimpses of it in each book since. I like the whole name on the back devotion thing. I tried to talk my hubs into doing that for me but he wasn't going for it. Ha ha.

6. Let's talk about John. We saw some pretty unusual behavior from him in this book. Most of it strengthened my idea of him being Darius... what do think? I love John and I can't wait to know everything about him. I like the few chapters in each book about him but I can't wait to read a book all about him.

7. We saw a lot of V in this book, which makes sense given his relationship with Butch. What do you think about those two being two halves of a whole? The Destroyer and the Savior? I loved this too. It linked them together in a different way. They are almost like real brothers to me (sexual tension aside).

It is getting harder and harder to answer these questions since I read the books months ago. Next is Lover Unbound which I've already read but that was were I stopped in the series. I guess I need to purchased the rest of the books so I can keep up with the group!

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine (awinkandasmile) 1. On a scale from 1-5, what would you rate this book? Briefly tell us why.

This book is rated a 5 for me. Why? well as the only human at the vampire parade, I felt more of an affinity to Brian "Butch" O'Neal. When fans get in to the PNR's, it's kinda nice to read about superstrong, long living, dashingly handsome, obscenely wealthy deadly heroes and in this book along comes this hulking, faulty, over-drinking and drugging, savior complexed heavily burdened and totally fallible human being who has one foot in a grave and so worth redeeming but if not for the brotherhood would have been just another burnt out cop at a dead end. His "redemption" in this story by way of finding himself, his bestie, his shellan, his "family" and his history is a very human story that anyone who has struggled in life could get. I get it and that is why it's a 5 and actually my favorite book in the series.

I liked how his story was written, especially his estrangement from is family being explained as it was through his mother's infidelity. Not sure if we will ever know for certain who dad is because Ward can be weird that way and she clearly is in no hurry to further flesh out Butch at this time (unless V is somehow involved of course).

I loved that fact that by time his is passed his whole initial contact with the Omega we get that he is the prophecy revealed. It's liked the O messed up and the SV got one for the good guys. However, I can totally see Ward sacrificing Butch by having the O pull him back. To me that is revealed by the encounter where the O tells him that families should congregate together or something like that.

Totally lacking. I hated Marissa at that point the fact that she was so selfish to make his induction less of an event for him by withholding herself. Butch deserved so much more. I also hate the fact that Ward treats him as less of a Vamp. By that I mean the other Hellrens/Shellans can't seem to be apart from each other in their initial stages of their bonded state yet Marissa is ALWAYS at Safe Place.

The mating rituals are hawt. As are the needing periods. However I do not forsee how the race will ever outlive the Lesser with needings every 10 years and the Lessers wiping folks out by the handful. I think Ward needs to rethink the 10 year thing.

Duh? That response is too lengthy to get in to because his book was awful... But that is for another convo.

7. We saw a lot of V in this book, which makes sense given his relationship with Butch. What do you think about those two being two halves of a whole? The Destroyer and the Savior? I like it. I like them being superclose friends. The initmacy that some fans are hoping for I just can't see from them especiall because Butch is soooo Hetero and V is so open. I see Butch giving V balance not the other way that many fans seem to see it. I think Butch is both the Dhestroyer and V's savior in a way. V is just Dhestroyers savior by way of clean-up after inhale.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Lover Revealed (other topics)