Women's Fiction authors discussion

Does Winning an Award Help in Getting Published?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leah (new)

Leah Griffith | 32 comments And the Winner is..
Hi Everyone,
I’m a writer with one novel entitled, Cosette’s Tribe, and it just won the Laine Cunningham 2011 New Novel Award, hosted by Blotter Literary Magazine. Of course I’m honored and hopeful that the award will gain the attention of agents when I send off my query letters. But…is it me or does it seem like the agents just aren’t looking at unknowns right now? Also do you think it’s just the economy, or is it the rise in e-book publications that is causing them to scramble? It just seems like a nearly impossible task to get them to read the work of an unknown.
Here’s the web address for the award if you would like to read the first couple of chapters. Just click on the July issue. They posted it yesterday. Have a great day.
http://www.blotterrag.com
My blog. http://eatingliferaw.blogspot.com

message 2: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (schneiderlynn) | 56 comments Leah, I just read your chapter, and loved it. I think it might be all of the above, that you mentioned. The publishing business is changing, that's for sure. It's harder than ever to get an agent, and then it's harder than ever for an agent to sell your work to a publisher. Profits are down, people aren't reading kill-a-tree books as much, and the times they are a-changin'. I self-published mine, and I'm glad I made that choice. Even if you do get an agent, you lose control over reverything, and it can be years before you see it in print. I guess I was a little impatient with that process, and decided to opt out.

message 3: by Leah (new)

Leah Griffith | 32 comments Lynn wrote: "Leah, I just read your chapter, and loved it. I think it might be all of the above, that you mentioned. The publishing business is changing, that's for sure. It's harder than ever to get an agent, ..."

Lynn,
All of your comments are valid. I feel like I’ve wandered in on a set for a mini-series, with actors, directors, producers, writers, all rushing about and bumping into each other in a frenzied state of chaos. Nobody seems to know what’s going on in this industry right now and quite frankly I’m tired of waiting for somebody to take notice of me. They may never stand still long enough to read my manuscript. I don’t like putting my career in somebody else’s hands.
Although, my editor wants me to wait a while with this book, I’m thinking I’ll give it until the end of the summer and then maybe put it up on Amazon. I have the cover art and it’s in a PDF format; which I’m sure will need to be converted. Anyway, things are changing so quickly, and I don’t want to get left out.
Thank you for your thoughtful post, and for taking the time to take a peek at Cosette’s Tribe Lynn.
My Best,
Leah