TV We've Just Watched discussion

Cult Series > Doctor Who - Torchwood

Comments Showing 1-50 of 517 (517 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather (creaturefromthesea) | 87 comments Has anyone seen this show? It's a spin-off of Doctor Who and is often shown on BBC America.

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky | 186 comments I actually have only seen parts, but I LOVE captain Jack.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather (creaturefromthesea) | 87 comments I know. He's a great character, and it doesn't hurt that he's easy on the eyes.

You might want to try and watch more. The premise is that there is a rift in the space-time continuum in Cardiff, Wales, and that this secret organization called Torchwood that covers up all the things that come through it, such as technology, aliens, etc.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather (creaturefromthesea) | 87 comments Well, I guess there's only two of us... I'm surprised.

message 5: by Allen (new)

Allen Allen (audiovore) | 222 comments I watch this, can't wait for it to come back. I am wondering if they are going to just pick up from the DW finale or step back so we can see how Tosh and Owen die(and if thats a spoiler I am sorry, but if you watch this you really should watch DW also).

I just found out that they only started shooting in August and it won't air till spring '09, wah wah... With that I am guessing they will pick up after DW and slowly/lightly explain what happend.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather (creaturefromthesea) | 87 comments No, I do watch both. They are amazing programmes, both of them.

That sucks that it won't air until then, but at least I have the two series so I can get my fix and show my boyfriend this wonderful show.

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather (creaturefromthesea) | 87 comments It just amazes me how wonderful shows like Dr. Who and Torchwood don't get the popularity in the US as they do in the former empire.

whichwaydidshego I LOVE this show! I watched this (coming in late) before ever seeing Doctor Who. I kind of moved backwards, I guess, because eventually I saw a late episode of DW ("The Sound of the Drums" - was weeks before I saw the continuing episode!) with Captain Jack, and eventually got filled in on all the rest (thank goodness). Humorously, I hated Martha (thinking her an interloper as I love Owen - and Tosh) when she was on Torchwood, but now if (when) I re-watched them, I think I'd love her in it.

By the way, now DW, specifically with the 10th Doctor, is an all-time favorite show. I'm kind of mad about The Doctor. Just can't help myself - brilliant, tall, cheeky, and with freckles! It doesn't hurt that he travels for a living... that it is through space and time is just cream! Hee!

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather (creaturefromthesea) | 87 comments Well, coming in late is better than not seeing it at all. I didn't like the idea of Martha coming into the Torchwood gang, just because I wanted to see more of Owen and Tosh myself.

Doctor Who amazes me, and was my intro to Torchwood. He is such a looker on top of his quirkiness. He officially one-upped the ninth Doctor, who was quirky, but kind of weird looking to the point of homeliness.

message 10: by whichwaydidshego (last edited Oct 16, 2008 03:44PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego David Tennant's Doctor is the biggest actor-character crush I've ever had. It's slightly humiliating. But he's so clever, funny, as you say - quirky, BRILLIANT (as in genius smart), and cheeky! Plus the other bits I mentioned previously... Hee!

But also, well, "Wibbly-wobbly timey-whimey." Can't beat that! LOL

But Jack... and Torchwood in general... is a really SEXY show. REALLY. SEXY.

SPOILER:
How crazy is it that Jack turns out to be "The Face of Boe??"

After first seeing Torchwood (sadly have only seen season 2), I liked going back (to see the earlier episodes of Doctor Who) and discovering how Jack came to not be able to die.

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather (creaturefromthesea) | 87 comments The Doctor may be a looker, but you are right, Jack IS really sexy.

Torchwood is kind of a more grown up Doctor Who. There are more sex jokes and romance than Doctor Who.

It is insane to me how Jack transforms over time.

Torchwood has both seasons on DVD, so that's the best way to see the other episodes. You do miss a lot.

message 12: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 162 comments I have watched all seasons released of both series and love them both.

The chemistry of the characters is great and there is a lot of tongue in cheek humor that is so fun.

And yes Jack is HOT!

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather (creaturefromthesea) | 87 comments You're right; they are very careful about choosing the right actors to work together.

I also like how, in Torchwood at least, a lot of actors who would never be considered to work in the US (Gwen, the mother of the man who went through the rift) are used. It's really nice to see relatable characters instead of the superficial actors we know in the US.

message 14: by Jackie (last edited Jan 15, 2009 08:21AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Love Torchwood. And yes, Jack is smoking HOT! That smile is perfect.
It's kind of the grown up version of Doctor Who.
It's only going to have 5 episodes for it's 'new' season, whenever that may air, I don't know.
And only 4 more special episodes with David Tennant as The Doctor to run in 2009, with the new doctor airing in 2010. I watched Dr. Who Confidential just to see the new doctor. Matt Smith. I never heard of him. He's even younger than Tennant.
Here's a pic of him:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpr...
I hope he does a good job. I loved Tennant the best out of all the Doctors and I'm going to miss him terribly. (I can't believe The Doctor doesn't have his own thread here.)

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather (creaturefromthesea) | 87 comments You are right about it being the grown up version of Doctor Who. There is so much humor that you could never put on Doctor Who (i.e. naked hide-and-go-seek); however, it still has that nice connection to Doctor Who that adds a bit of flair to the typical family program that we all love so much.
I cannot believe that Torchwood is only going to have five more episodes for this season! I heard they were going to make it more family oriented, too; I hope they don't do to it what American producers did to Mork and Mindy.
I heard that there would be a new Doctor in 2010. He's not bad looking; I just hope that he's quirky as well. That's what's killed several past Doctors.
I too can't believe Doctor Who doesn't have its own thread; perhaps we should remedy that.

message 16: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments Heather wrote: "You are right about it being the grown up version of Doctor Who. There is so much humor that you could never put on Doctor Who (i.e. naked hide-and-go-seek); however, it still has that nice connect..."

I'm a Doctor Who fan (Tom Baker was My Doctor), and David Tennant was the first doctor since Baker that I really felt had fun with the role. I'm really going to miss him.

I also like Torchwood. I've seen all of series 1 and the first couple of episodes of series 2. We have them on DVD. I hope they don't make it more "family oriented." Captain Jack's libido would suffer tremendously if that happened!

message 17: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I agree with Myra, for G rating we already have Doctor Who.

Heather, that is exactly what I say, keep the quirkiness. David Tennant's doctor was goofy, quirky, cute, silly, sweet. The new doctor has to have those qualities as well, IMO.
I read that about Torchwood only getting 5 episodes on sci-fi.com months ago. It seems to me that it's kind of a phase out, and ending. Otherwise why not give us a full season? The article never said that it's ending, but it's what I think.

message 18: by Heather (new)

Heather (creaturefromthesea) | 87 comments I have to agree with you both. I mean, in England it airs after the watershed, which means that it's uncensored and too adult to be shown when kids are up. Logically, you shouldn't have kids watching it.
Hopefully it's not a phase-out. Then again, with the ending of the second season, I wouldn't be surprised. It could also be that they are kind of doing a test run for the replacements, if you will.

message 19: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I'll have to wait and see what my UK friends say, they get the news first.

message 20: by Allen (new)

Allen Allen (audiovore) | 222 comments I agree with Myra, for G rating we already have Doctor Who.

I'd grade Doctor Who more of a PG, it can get a bit dark, just not as sexed up as Torchwood(although considerably more than the classic). For true G there is The Sarah Jane Adventures, which at times can be mind numbingly childish. But I still watch it :D .

I have all 26 seasons of the classic Doctor Who on my computer, along with most, if not all of the spin-offs. I've only just finished The Dalek Invasion of Earth, which is the tenth storyline with William Hartnell.

message 21: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I considered PG, but I thought, who cares? PG, G. It's pretty much the same to me.

Wow, that's a lot of Doctor Who.

message 22: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments I haven't seen any of season 3, but I had hoped that with Mickey and Martha Jones going off with the Captain Jack at the end of the last season of Doctor Who that they would be added into the Torchwood team. Only 5 episodes? What's up with that?!!

All 26 seasons of Classic Doctor Who? I thought they had lost a lot of the early episodes.

message 23: by Heather (new)

Heather (creaturefromthesea) | 87 comments I agree with Allen, The Sarah Jane Adventures are a bit childish at times, but they acheive the goal of introducing kids to the more adult Doctor Who.
I had no idea there were so many seasons of Doctor Who. I mean, I know it's been on for thirty years, but it isn't until the numbers hit you that you understand the numbers.
I think that the ending pretty much summed up the replacements, but I think that a lot of people either don't like the show or that the producers are performing a second pilot of sorts to test how audiences like the changes.

message 24: by Allen (new)

Allen Allen (audiovore) | 222 comments Myra wrote: "All 26 seasons of Classic Doctor Who? I thought they had lost a lot of the early episodes. "

There are 27 serials[storylines:], with 108 of 253 episodes missing, from the first 6 years(mostly William Hartnell stuff I believe). Many more were thought to have been missing but were found later. The unique thing however is that audio still exists for all lost episodes, and many have been reconstructed from stills.

message 25: by Jackie (last edited Jun 04, 2011 08:59PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Has anybody been watching Children of the Earth?
It is fantastic! I can't believe they are going to end this brilliant series.

message 26: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments We're recording it and will probably watch all five in one sitting. It won't be this weekend but probably next. I'm really looking forward to it!

message 27: by Heather (new)

Heather (creaturefromthesea) | 87 comments I've seen all three episodes and am thrilled that they did such a wonderful job.

message 28: by Jackie (last edited Jul 24, 2009 09:58PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Is anyone else as devastated as I am? The whole miniseries was pretty rough; some really messed up stuff I had a hard time accepting. Especially concerning Jack. I was upset about his part of it all in 1965, but what he did to Steven, I couldn't take it.
Granted, there is a lot we don't know about Jack. I've always taken him for a rogue, a scallywag, but harmless. But this? What do you even call it? My hero has fallen from grace and I'm devastated. And at the same time, I feel so badly for him, for how he must feel. What an awful position to be in, to be faced with such horrible choices. Whatever move he made would be unacceptable, so in a sense, I see him as a victim also.
With that said, it was the most brilliant Torchwood storyline ever. I was on the edge of my seat for the past five days, yelling at the TV, crying. A testament to the writing and acting on Torchwood. CoE was one hell of a ride.

message 29: by Becky (new)

Becky | 186 comments Sadly, I went camping and missed this one, I hope BBC will re run it otherwise I think I have to wait for the DVD. Very upsetting!

message 30: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments They will re-airing it. Probably over this weekend.

message 31: by Jackie (last edited Jul 25, 2009 12:04PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Yep, BBC America is running it tomorrow starting at 1:00 PM ET Inside the Hub, which runs 45 minutes. Worth seeing. Then Torchwood CoE Day One starts at 1:45 PM, running an hour and 15 minutes, and the rest follows. The whole thing, back to back.
You won't have to wait every day to see what happened, like I did. I'm jealous, LOL
I'll remedy that, I'll watch it again.

message 32: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments Thought you'd all be interested in an interview that Russell T Davies did with EW.com. Here's the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32128070/...

message 33: by Heather (new)

Heather (creaturefromthesea) | 87 comments Great article. I do hope he continues the series, since it sounds like it's up to him.

message 34: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Did anyone watch the 15 minute thing after each Torchwood episode? I think it was the same guy, he said he's ready, he knows exactly what happens next.
I say Come On! I'm ready.
I find it preposterous that Torchwood should end. Jack is an untapped wealth of storyline, it could go on forever, literally.

message 35: by Allen (new)

Allen Allen (audiovore) | 222 comments Well, at least until he dies, which we happen to know when it exactly happens.

I was quite impressed with the series. I also wasn't expecting the consecutive presentation. It made it only slightly more bearable waiting only 24hrs.

I hope it comes back too. Perhaps not with Jack, although I would miss him, a friend thinks Gwen could start one up on her own.

When is the next Dr Who special? I believe the 4th will be xmas again, so maybe Halloween(is that big in the UK?) or Guy Fawkes? They are supposedly closely connected, possibly cliff hanger, and of course there are rumors of Jack showing up.

message 36: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I think they did a spectacular job with CoE. If the BBC cancels them after that, they are crazy. But if they do get cancelled, then what a way to go out!

I didn't realize it was going to be five consecutive days either, and what a nice surprised.
I think I would have lost my mind having to wait a week in between each episode.

I really like Gwen, she's my favorite character next to Jack, but I don't know how excited I'd be if it were Gwen and no Jack. Jack makes the show, IMO.

I'm with you on the final Tennant Doctor on X mas but I have no idea when the others will be. I wish they'd hurry up. My UK friends let me know when it airs over there. I saw Planet of the Dead the day after Easter, so I'm jonesing for more new Doctor. I am going to miss Tennant, I adore him as the Doctor. I hope this new guy plays him just as good.

message 37: by Heather (new)

Heather (creaturefromthesea) | 87 comments From what it sounds, it's up to Russel Davies, the creator of Torchwood, if there is a new season. He says that it's too soon to tell if he will, though, so we'll see.

I've heard that the next Doctor is really good. He is a bit on the young end, but he wowed everyone at the audition. They were looking for someone in his forties, but this actor caused them to change their minds.

message 38: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I saw the interviews with him and some scenes of him playing The Doctor on youtube. It's too early for me to say. I'll give him a chance because I love the series so much. It's going to be hard to top Tennant's performance IMO.

message 39: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Some DOCTOR WHO news from the TV guide, 7-27 to 8-9 issue. I'll just copy it here:
Doctor Who returns later this year on BBC America. David Tennant makes his last appearances as the Tenth Doctor on three upcoming specials. The first, The Waters of Mars, costars Lindsay Duncan (Rome) as a heroic captain who runs the Red Planet's first human base. And yes, there's something horribly scary in the Martian seas. "The Doctor is tested to his limits," says exec producer Julie Gardner, "and at the end, there is a really big scene that takes us into the regeneration two-parter."
"The Doctor knows his time is nigh, but he's not going without a fight," Tennant reveals. Look for return visits from John Simm as the evil Master, Catherine Tate as Donna Noble and Bernard Cribbins as her stalwart grandfather, Wilfred. Says Gardner: "I can absolutely promise you that we deliver a worthy, epic good-bye to David's Doctor."
YES! I can hardly wait! I wish they'd just show it NOW!

message 40: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Clip of the next special The Waters of Mars.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/video/docto...

message 41: by Heather (new)

Heather (creaturefromthesea) | 87 comments Wow. Looks good. When does it air?

message 42: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments No idea, waiting for my British friends to tell me when it airs there. But it better be soon, I'm having Doctor Withdrawal symptoms, LOL

message 43: by Allen (new)

Allen Allen (audiovore) | 222 comments IMDB has it listed for a November 14th release, although nothing has been confirmed. As specials are normally holiday things I am guessing it could air for Halloween(not sure if thats as big in the UK as the states) or Guy Fawkes Day. Not sure where they will place the last one(one will obviously be on xmas) perhaps New Years to ring in the new Doctor? The third is suppose to cliff-hanger into the fourth so I could see that.

Oh, just read in IMDB the third and fourth for an xmas(The End of Time)-Jan 1st(untitled) release. Also interestingly has Timothy Dalton credited in all three simply as 'Time Lord'.

Rose, and Donna are slated to return in the third also(I really hope they disappear for good with the 11th Doctor), along with Jack and The Master(who are awesome still for now), and apparently Sarah Jane and her son from her show will appear also...

message 44: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments November isn't that long away, I think I can hold on til then, LOL
I'll be happy to see all those mentoned above, but I can do without Sarah Jane and her son.

message 45: by Allen (new)

Allen Allen (audiovore) | 222 comments Her I don't mind nearly as much as Donna and Rose. This whole traveling between dimensions thing is getting tired, I really thought they ended it by giving her her own human Doctor to screw. And I just didn't care for Donna that much by the end.

I want to say Give me Sally Sparrow dammit! But fear it out of more URST since 11 is the youngest Doctor ever(and I felt that David already came off rather young even though he is almost 40 now). I feel we need someone older ala Donna's age, or maybe some one super-young, 15 perhaps ala how Sarah Jane started out? Or really a guy that actually sticks around longer than two episodes(I rather liked that Dalek warehouse kid before they wrote him off).

And perhaps we should move discussion to the proper Dr Who thread?

message 46: by Allen (new)

Allen Allen (audiovore) | 222 comments Apparently there is no DRW thread, So how-a-bout just having Heather changing this to the Doctor Who & Spinoffs thread?

message 47: by Jackie (last edited Sep 01, 2009 06:02AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments That's why I put it in here, no Dr Who thread (GASP!) They're kind of related.

What's URST mean?

I thought that would be the end of Rose, with her own doctor, that once the rift to the other dimension closed she could never come back here again. Rose was my favorite companion, Tennant my favorite Doctor. I didn't like Donna at first, but then she grew on me. I'm curious how they're going to bring her in, since she has no memories of her time with the Doctor and he told her Mum and Grandfather that they couldn't tell her or her head would explode or something.

Have you seen Matt Smith, the new Doctor? He's really young, in his 20s. Do you think we'll ever see the Doctor's daughter again?

message 48: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments I never liked Rose, I liked Martha, but I loved Donna. She was the only one who didn't fall in love with the Doctor, and the only one who really was able to hold her own with him in just about any situation. Martha had the tech knowledge, but Donna had the common sense. Rose didn't have anything as far as I could see.

message 49: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I liked Martha at first, but then she got all love sick and sappy. Donna was a blast, she was so funny, telling him he's too skinny for her, LMAO

message 50: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments Did you ever see the skit that David Tennant and Catherine Tait did for Comic Relief? If not, take a look. It is so funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxB1gB...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11