SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Getting to Know You > Top 10: Kick-Ass Alpha Chicks

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments Top 10: Kick-Ass Alpha Chicks
The men don't deserve all the attention! We can kick some ass too!

With the recently release of the anthology Chicks Kick Butt, I thought it'd be fun to give the girls their time in the spotlight. :D

My favorites are:
In no particular order
1. Kate Daniels (same)
2. Elena Michaels (Women of the Otherworld)
3. Jane Yellowrock (same)
4. Sirantha Jax (same)
5. Cat Crawfield (Night Huntress)
6. Merit (Chicagoland Vampires)
7. Riley Jenson (same)
8. Mercy Thompson (same)
9. Dorina Basarab (same)
10. Mira (Dark Days) / Anna Strong (same)

Honorable mention: Jenni (As the World Dies), Cassandra Palmer and some of the Psy-Changeling chicks

How 'bout you?

message 2: by Lady Jaye (last edited Dec 18, 2011 08:15AM) (new)

Lady Jaye (lady-jaye) | 557 comments Hmm - I don't think I have come across 10 of them yet, but so far here' my list. Will edit as i think of more.

1. Kate Daniels (top kickass chick)
2. Rachel (from Sharon Shinn's Archangel, not a UF, but if it was, she'd kick serious butt - might even give Kate a run for her money).
3. Elena (from Nalini Singh's Angel series)
4. Cat Crawfield (Night Huntress)
5. Mercy Thompson
6. Anna Cornick

(Ok I made it to 5 :D)

message 3: by Josie (last edited Jul 11, 2011 04:08AM) (new)

Josie | 1967 comments Nice lists! I haven't read Chicks Kick Butt  by Rachel Caine yet but hopefully will at some point :)

In no particular order:

#1. Dorina Basarab (Midnight's Daughter) ~ she's tough but kind of vulnerable and lonely at the same time which makes her an even better heroine
#2. Cassandra Palmer (Touch the Dark) ~ she may not be the best fighter in the literal sense but seeing as she goes up against demons, god-like creatures, mages and everything in between she definitely does well
#3. Kate Daniels (Magic Bites) ~ of course Kate would be on here with her deadly "toothpick"
#4. Mercy Thompson (Moon Called) ~ I don't even think she needs a note but I'll just say that she handles trouble, the pack and Adam quite nicely
#5. Chess Putnam (Unholy Ghosts) ~ she does make some awful choices but deserves a spot since she kicks some serious scary-a$$
#6. Cat Crawfield (Halfway to the Grave) ~ her and Bones make one pretty awesome team
#7. Hermione Granger (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone) ~ she uses her head, she's a brilliant witch plus remember when (view spoiler)
#8. Katniss Everdeen (The Hunger Games) ~ oh she did very well indeed
#9. Jaz Parks (Once Bitten, Twice Shy) ~ very kick-a$$

I don't know who should take the last spot but honourable mentions include: Elena Deveraux (Angels' Blood) ~ particularly in the first one/ Anna Latham (Cry Wolf) ~ she's tough underneath the gentle exterior, she kicks-a$$ with her lovely singing voice/ Penryn Young (Angelfall) ~ she's a realistic, determined fighter, not one of these soppy ridiculous heroines/ Rose Drayton (On the Edge) ~ I liked her lots, her flash was very cool as well/ Joanne Baldwin (Ill Wind) ~ she controls the weather! enough said.

Okay this is just turning into my fave heroines so I'm going to stop now ;)

message 4: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments Great lists, Ladies. Josie, lots of mine are on your list, but some of yours I haven't read yet. Love strong, I-can-handle-it-myself chicks! :D

message 5: by Josie (last edited Jul 12, 2011 12:24AM) (new)

Josie | 1967 comments Yes! None of this weak, whiny ridiculousness from certain "heroines"

I feel bad because apart from Mercy and Anna, there's no other shifter on my list and I'm thinking there must be some other kick-ass shifter who I like. The list is mainly humans with powers, i.e. not vamps, angels, demons etc
Which ones haven't you read yet?

message 6: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments These are my fave kick-ass heroines, the ones who don't need no stinkin' man to save them, thankyouverymuch.

In no particular order, because I'm indecisive like that:

Kate Daniels
Jane Yellowrock
Sirantha Jax
Merit (Chicagoland Vamps)
Dorina Basarab
Chess Putnam (Downside Ghosts)
Katniss Everdeen (Hunger Games)
Mercy Thompson
Arya Stark (Song of Ice & Fire)
Alanna (Song of the Lioness)

message 7: by Sandra J (last edited Jul 12, 2011 05:51AM) (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 145 comments Josie, if you like kick-ass shifter chicks, you can't read any of Shelly Laurenston's Pride series without finding a lot of them. And I'd have to include Dez, the human cop, married to her lion shifter, Mace. She certainly fits right in with Sissy, Gwen, Blayne, and Dee Ann. Dee Ann tends to make all other females, no matter how alpha they are, look like Tinkerbelle.

Cindy (eclecticfirefly) (eclecticfirefly) | 1237 comments Where's Anita????? She was the #1 kick-a$$ chick for a long time.....I still love her slutty self!

message 9: by Lis (new)

Lis | 3607 comments In no special order:

Riley Jensen from Keri Arthur
Mira from Joceyln Drake's Dark Days
Gin Blanco from Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assasin
Lily Yu from Eileen Wilks World of the Lupi
Elena Deveraux from Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter
Kate Daniels from Ilona Andrews
Elena Michaels from Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld
Jane Yellowrock from Faith Hunter
Kahlan Amnell from Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth
Lisbeth Salander from Stieg Larsson's Millenium trilogy

and my Honorable Mentions go to Claire Randall Fraser because she attacked a bear with a fish to save her husband... and Sasha Trudeau from LA Banks Crimson Moon series

message 10: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments Lisbeth is a good one, Lis. Although I haven't read the books, I've only watched the first movie (Swedish version) and thought she kicked some serious a$$!

message 11: by Lis (new)

Lis | 3607 comments Minus about 100 pages in the beginning of the first book... They were a good read! I want her "mad cyber skills"

message 12: by Kerstin (new)

Kerstin | 862 comments Ok, here's my list:

1. Kate Daniels (Kate Daniels)
2. Mercy Thompson (Mercy Thompson)
3. Elena Michaels (Women of the Otherworld)
4. Elena Deveraux (Guild Hunter)
5. Chess Putnam (Downside Ghosts)
6. Dorina Basarab (Dorina Basarab)
7. Cassandra Palmer (Cassandra Palmer)
8. Cat Crawfield (Night Huntress)
9. Sirantha Jax (Sirantha Jax)
10. Sabina Kane (Sabina Kane)

message 13: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments Lis wrote: "Minus about 100 pages in the beginning of the first book... They were a good read! I want her "mad cyber skills""

Me too!

Great list, Kerstin!

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 349 comments How is this thread dead?

BUMP BUMP BUMP!!!

message 15: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 217 comments Seconded...may take me a while to get my list together!

message 16: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited May 12, 2018 12:18PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments Herekittykitty wrote: "How is this thread dead?

BUMP BUMP BUMP!!!"

They fizzle sometimes. Thanks for the bump :)

PS: Just looked at my list from 2011 ... maybe it's time for me to update that baby :D

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 349 comments No worries. Now putting my list together!

message 18: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments My revised list; some remained the same, some new additions.
(List from 2011 in message #1)

Top 10: Kick-Ass Alpha Chicks
The men don't deserve all the attention! We can kick some ass too!

My favorites are:
In no particular order; series name in parenthesis
1. Kate Daniels (same)
2. Elena Michaels (Women of the Otherworld)
3. Jane Yellowrock (same)
4. Sirantha Jax (same)
5. Elena Deveraux (Guild Hunter)
6. Nevada Baylor (Hidden Legacy)
7. Nell Ingram (Soulwood)
8. Mercy Thompson (same)
9. Dorina Basarab (same)
10. Harper Wallis (Dark in You)

Honorable mention: Jenni (As the World Dies), Cassandra Palmer and some of the Psy-Changeling chicks

How 'bout you?

message 19: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments So Steph, I never got in to Jane Yellowrock, when did you first start liking that series? Did you like it form the beginning? I found the first two boring and I dnfed the third. This was a long time ago though.

message 20: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments I did like it from the beginning, but book 1 is my lowest rated of them all so far. I guess I got hooked for good around book 3 or 4. They've been 4.5-5-stars for me since book 5.

message 21: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 217 comments Steph wrote: "I did like it from the beginning, but book 1 is my lowest rated of them all so far. I guess I got hooked for good around book 3 or 4. They've been 4.5-5-stars for me since book 5."

I keep hearing similar things from others, too. Maybe that'll be my big summer binge-read...

message 22: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments I highly recommend it, but know that every book isn't for everyone.

message 23: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23887 comments A lot of Jane got read this Bingo Rnd 16, and mostly got great ratings. Skinwalker (#1) had some 3 ratings but being 1st in series, that's to be expected I guess. Dark Queen, which came out during Bingo was getting lots of 5s. Including from me :)

message 24: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments :D

message 25: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 217 comments I'm okay with waiting a series out if I know it doesn't pick up until books 3 or 4. Throne of Glass was like that and I'm really glad I stuck with those...

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 349 comments Holly wrote: "I'm okay with waiting a series out if I know it doesn't pick up until books 3 or 4. ..."

Totally agree. I've read quite a few where the first couple were just so-so but still enough to whet my appetite for all the juicy stuff that followed! Allie Beckstrom was like that for me.

message 27: by AlyssReads (last edited Jan 10, 2019 04:23PM) (new)

AlyssReads | 10 comments 1. Elena Devereaux-Guildhunter Series
2. Cynthia Leighton-Vampires in America series
3. Mercy Thompson-Mercy Thompson series
4. Nevada Baylor-Hidden Legacy series
5. Ellysetta Baristani-Tairen Soul series
6. Cat Fisa-The Kingmaker Chronicles
7. Bo Blackman-Bo Blackman series
8. Kate Daniels-Kate Daniels series
9. Riley Jensen-Guardian series
10. Kahlan Amnell-Sword of Truth series

message 28: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 217 comments Oh man...I totally forgot to actually do this. I bet my list would have changed by now, too.

1. Aelin Galythinius (Throne of Glass)
2. Kate Daniels (Magic Bites)
3. Sir October Daye (Rosemary and Rue)
4. Rachel Morgan (Dead Witch Walking)
5. Alice Healy (Discount Armageddon)
5. Mercy Thompson (Moon Called)
6. Tommi Grayson (Who's Afraid?)

This is all I have so far....I refrained from using comic book chicks, because I feel like that would be an entirely different list. :)

message 29: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments Thanks for sharing, ladies! It's always great finding new heroes/heroines we adore.

message 30: by EmmaMay (last edited Jan 10, 2020 06:07PM) (new)

EmmaMay | 3 comments Oh, what a cool thread. Can't believe I actually have several that aren't on any of the above lists.

1. Darcy Montgomery - To Handle A Hellcat sociopath with well intentioned homicidal tendencies
2. Neecy Lawrence -Hunting Season kick ass Crow in service to a Goddess
3. Brodie - To Vex A Valkyrie Blood thirsty Valkyrie, sets her sights on a celibate H
4. Sig - Charming Valkyrie meets werewolf knight, time to save the world
5. Sham - When Demons Walk Magical thief - clever and skilled

I'll just stick with 5 - don't want to get repetitive.

message 31: by kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude (last edited Jan 11, 2020 03:57AM) (new)

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 349 comments Mia f*****g Corvere from Nevernight yes it's HF not UF and she has a cheat to fight her fear but she kicks more ass (and she learnt to the hard way) than anyone I've ever come across in over 1900 books- all put together!

message 32: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments Thanks for sharing, ladies! I love lookin' at these lists. They're a great recommendation list for new authors/series.

I love Mia too, kittykat. :)

message 33: by Lis (new)

Lis | 3607 comments I enjoy when someone revives a good thread... Looks like there are some new heroines to check out too. Thx

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 349 comments Lis wrote: "I enjoy when someone revives a good thread... "

Me too!

message 35: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments Ditto 😁
PS: there are plenty scattered around the group ... feel free to revive any you'd like

message 36: by kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude (last edited Jan 15, 2020 12:49PM) (new)

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 349 comments Sandra J wrote: "Josie, if you like kick-ass shifter chicks, you can't read any of Shelly Laurenston's Pride series without finding a lot of them. And I'd have to include Dez, the human cop, married to her lion shifter, Mace..."

This is message 7 posted all the way back in 2011 and I have to agree!

I'm currently on The Beast in Him (Pride, #2) by Shelly Laurenston of my series read and am reminded of how much I love the utterly ridiculousness of all SL characters! So far I've also met and loved Dez, Sissy Mae and Ronnie Lee and I LOVE THEM ALL. Am not far enough into Jessie Ann's story yet to form an opinion on her though.

I need to go and have a look at some of the TS Joyce females as some of them are awesome too...

message 37: by Lis (new)

Lis | 3607 comments kittykat wrote: "Sandra J wrote: "Josie, if you like kick-ass shifter chicks, you can't read any of Shelly Laurenston's Pride series without finding a lot of them..."

If you like the Pride series, you’ll really enjoy her badger series, there are kicka$$ sisters and the pride chicks crossover... Too funny!

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 349 comments Lis wrote: "If you like the Pride series, you’ll really enjoy her badger series, there are kicka$$ sisters and the pride chicks crossover... Too funny!"

I'm saving those, like I do with most, until the series is complete. I know I'm going to love them 😃

message 39: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23887 comments Yes, the Honey Badger sisters are a scream, and the crossover was hilarious!!!!

I'm pretty sure its only 3 books and the 3rd one is due out in March this year kittykat.

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 349 comments Sandra wrote: "Yes, the Honey Badger sisters are a scream, and the crossover was hilarious!!!!

I'm pretty sure its only 3 books and the 3rd one is due out in March this year kittykat."

And it gets better! Thx for letting me know Sandra 😃

message 41: by Lis (last edited Jan 17, 2020 07:08AM) (new)

Lis | 3607 comments Even a certain female canine (view spoiler) is no match for these sisters...

message 42: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23887 comments Shhh don't give it away Lis .......

message 43: by Lis (new)

Lis | 3607 comments Sandra wrote: "Shhh don't give it away Lis ......."
Better?

message 44: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23887 comments LOL

message 45: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments 😏

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 349 comments I'm not clicking on any spoiler tags... for my own peace of mind!

message 47: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments Probably good idea

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 349 comments So, a few favorite Alpha ladies from TS Joyce's Damon’s Mountains Universe

1) Willamena Madden (AKA Willa the worm lady!) from Gray Back Bad Bear this human ends up as second to the Alpha of her crew and is my favorite female character of all the 48 (!) novellas
2) Annalise Sutter from Red Havoc Rogue is newly Turned and is very much a reluctant ass kicker...
3) Lynn Matheson (AKA Crazy Lynn) from Red Havoc Bad Bear really does win at battling her inner demons... and that is sometimes the best kind of ass-kicking once can do.

4) Oh, and Jessie Ann from The Beast in Him because she overcame and is no longer afraid of the bullies or for people to see her looking vulnerable and human (!)... and she will CUT A BITCH if you mess with 'her' kids... and also she created a super fun environment for her employees which is a different kind of strength altogether.

message 49: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23887 comments I need to read TS Joyce, I've got a couple & I keep forgetting, plus they are cheap!! So if you like them, easy to get more :)

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 349 comments Sandra wrote: "I need to read TS Joyce, I've got a couple & I keep forgetting, plus they are cheap!! So if you like them, easy to get more :)"

And they are all on KU. If you are looking at the Damons Mountains stuff, I highly suggest starting at the beginning as there is a meta plot that runs throughout... you don't have to but it's much better that way.

« previous 1