SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

RIP: Dead/Expired Threads > HMWY: GenreLationships

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28248 comments HMWY: GenreLationships
Are you monogomous with your genre ❤ or do you read around?

It's no secret, I'm a pretty dedicated PNR/UF/Dark UF reader. I tend to stick with those ❤s. Occasionally I'll take a dip in the hot & steamy erotic pool, maybe a little PN mystery, a walk through a post-apocalyptic dystopian world and sometimes some realistic fiction (such as Forbidden and Room).

How about you?

message 2: by Lady Jaye (new)

Lady Jaye (lady-jaye) | 513 comments Fantasy (UF and RNR)
Mystery (not so much now)
Historical Romance with the occasional contemporary romance thrown in.
Non-fiction (about 60% of that being Christian non-fiction,20% medical-related, 10% Africa-related and the rest from errything else)
African Fiction (a few)
Occasionally I'll read erotica - from Lora Leigh mostly, but it's not my cup of tea.

message 3: by Josie (last edited Jul 11, 2011 04:21AM) (new)

Josie | 1967 comments I'm also a UF/DUF girl but mix it up mainly with some PNR, YA, fantasy and sci-fi. I don't tend to read contemporary fiction apart from the odd young-adult one like the one you mentioned (Forbidden), along with Perfect Chemistry and I want to find out what all the fuss is about in Beautiful Disaster
There's the odd steampunk and horror as well and I'd like to read more historical fiction when I occasionally have the urge to.

Cindy (eclecticfirefly) (eclecticfirefly) | 1237 comments I used to read Erotica almost exclusively. At least for the previous 3 years or so.

This year only half of my books read have been Erotica, and most of those are PnR or Scifi. The other half has been a conglomeration of YA, UF, Dystopian, PnR, and Horror.

I tried to read a steampunk novel, but didn't finish it.....I spilled coffee on it. Since I couldn't mail a damaged book out, I had to find another copy. The push wasn't there to finish the book, so I set it down and haven't picked it up again.

I rarely read historical novels, chick-lit, classics, or thrillers.

message 5: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 145 comments I read PNR, mystery, some UF, and a fair amount of non-fiction, usually books on history, geology, beading, knitting, etc. I used to read a lot of science fiction and fantasy back in the day and will still occasionally read it. I don't like historical romances that are anachronistic, so there are very few HR books I'll even look at.

message 6: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 2752 comments I'm a slut! I don't stay faithful to any genre and read pretty much everything. Most of the time I spread out the genres so I don't read too much of the same thing.

The last 10 books I've read have been all from different genres:
UF
Contemporary Romance
YA
Historical Romance
PNR
Magical Realism
Humorous UF
Erotica
Steampunk
Romantic Suspense

I also read Mystery, Historical Fiction, Fantasy and Non Fiction...I just haven't read one of them in a while but they'll make it to the on deck circle soon.

message 7: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M (lamessegee) | 171 comments For the past 2 years I've been reading PNR almost exclusively, with the occasional romantica or UF thrown in. I used to read mysteries, historical romances, and scifi/fantasy. I suppose I'll get back to them one day when I run out of PNRs. ;-)

message 8: by Xeey (new)

Xeey (bookzeey) | 7 comments PNR, UF, Historical romance but preferably those with steamy romance(outgrew barbara cartland in my teens), lite erotica.

Im also liking books like the Black Jewel series and the Warprize books, but im not sure wat genre that would be..
The one genre im avoiding with a vengence is YA....

message 9: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 2752 comments LOL, Angelfire!

I've been reading a lot of YA lately and def. need a break.

message 10: by Josie (new)

Josie | 1967 comments Angelfire wrote: "Im also liking books like the Black Jewel series and the Warprize books, but im not sure wat genre that would be.."

I'd say the Black Jewel series is fantasy going onto dark fantasy and Warprize is romantic fantasy. I like fantasy too! One of my fave genres :)

message 11: by Xeey (new)

Xeey (bookzeey) | 7 comments Josie wrote: "Angelfire wrote: "Im also liking books like the Black Jewel series and the Warprize books, but im not sure wat genre that would be.."

I'd say the Black Jewel series is fantasy going onto dark fant..."

Belive it or not I only recently discovered the fantasy/dark fantasy genre with the Jewel books...and now im on constant lookout for similar stuff.. any rec's..
sorry, i know it's off topic..

message 12: by Josie (last edited Jul 11, 2011 12:56PM) (new)

Josie | 1967 comments I'm about to read The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1) by Brent Weeks which apparently is a really good fantasy trilogy. Oh and going to read A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin as well which according to (I think) Laura Lulu is a dark fantasy (and also v. good). Have you read any of these?

You've probably read these but I like Fire (The Seven Kingdoms Trilogy, #2) by Kristin Cashore (although kind of controversial) Green Rider (Green Rider, #1) by Kristen Britain Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1) by C.L. Wilson (kind of fantasy romance) Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder (can be classed as a YA which I know you're avoiding but I personally think it's more fantasy) and of course Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels, #1) by Anne Bishop

I'm sure there's a best of fantasy thread somewhere. I'm going to check it out :)

message 13: by Kerstin (new)

Kerstin | 862 comments I read quite a lot of different genres. The main ones I'm reading though are UF and PNR; besides those I also delve into fantasy, historical romance/fiction, some YA, sci-fi and erotica. And here an there a bit of steampunk and magical realism. When I read non-fiction, it's often art related.

message 14: by Literary Ames (last edited Jul 11, 2011 05:05PM) (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments I'm a genre slut, I read around.

UF
YA
PNR
Fantasy
Dystopia
Sci-fi
Erotica
Historical Romance
Non-Fiction (various subjects)

ETA: Classics, Lit Fic & Horror

message 15: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments haha Ames.

I will say I am diverse and like a variety of books. ;)

Literary Fiction
Classics
Latin American authors
non-fiction
UF
Post-Apocalypitc
Dystopia
Fantasy
Sci-Fi
Historical
Erotica

And if the book is right:
PNR
Historical romance
YA

message 16: by Crystal S (new)

Crystal S (crystalann) | 487 comments I'm afraid I'm a genre slut too. LOL. While probably 70% of my books fall into the categories of PNR/UF or historical romance, the other 30% is a mixture of just about everything else except non-fiction and literary fiction (think Oprah's book club type books).

message 17: by Lis (new)

Lis | 3549 comments I primarily read UF, PNR, Science Fiction & Fantasy. The darker the better... (I lump the Black Jewels, Tairen Soul, Sword of Truth, and Song of Ice & Fire in the Fantasy group).

I will occasionally read YA, Historical Fiction/Romance (if it has highlanders and kilts) and a Crime Thriller. More so if its going to become a movie or TV series. Have stumbled into a little PNR/Erotica by accident, but the plot was good, so I went with it.

Not sure what the difference between "steampunk" and UF or Fantasy is? Dystopia?? and have yet to read a zombie book.

message 18: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28248 comments I'm not a big fan of historical romance, even if it's paranormal. But, I've read a few that were ok. I forgot to mention sci-fi, Sirantha Jax and such. I use be a major horror fan - Stephen King, Graham Masterton, and others, but have strayed away from it.

Lis, here's what Wiki has to say about those genres -
Fantasy: Fantasy is a genre of fiction that uses magic and other supernatural phenomena as a primary element of plot, theme, or setting. Many works within the genre take place in imaginary worlds where magic is common. Fantasy is generally distinguished from science fiction and horror by the expectation that it steers clear of (pseudo-)scientific and macabre themes, respectively, though there is a great deal of overlap between the three (which are subgenres of speculative fiction).

Steampunk: Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction, alternate history, and speculative fiction that came into prominence during the 1980s and early 1990s.[1] Steampunk involves a setting where steam power is still widely used—usually the Victorian era Britain—that incorporates elements of either science fiction or fantasy. Works of steampunk often feature anachronistic technology or futuristic innovations as Victorians may have envisioned them; based on a Victorian perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, art, etc. This technology may include such fictional machines as those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne.

Dystopia: (or the opposite of Utopia) Dystopian societies feature different kinds of repressive social control systems, various forms of active and passive coercion. Ideas and works about dystopian societies often explore the concept of humans abusing technology and humans individually and collectively coping, or not being able to properly cope with technology that has progressed far more rapidly than humanity's spiritual evolution. Dystopian societies are often imagined as police states, with unlimited power over the citizens.

And we talked about the differences between PNR & UF here .

That's a great topic though. So many sub-genres to explore. I'll create a thread where we can share what we've learned about all the different genres and/or definitions from around the web. :D

message 19: by Xeey (new)

Xeey (bookzeey) | 7 comments Josie wrote: "I'm about to read The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1) by Brent Weeks which apparently is a really good fantasy trilogy. Oh and going to read A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin as well which according to (I th..."

Thanx Josie...The GOT books are on my TBR list, which is really really long...I'll have to check out Fire and the Green Riders books.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I read mostly UF, but I do have strong PNR leanings.

I avoid YA like the plague.

I've also been on a HR bender recently, which has been really great. There are some fabulous writers in that genre, which I've been missing.