A Song of Ice & Fire Fans discussion

Did you reread the first 4 books before reading book 5 (no book 5 spoilers please!)?

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cassandra (last edited Jul 10, 2011 11:05PM) (new)

Cassandra I know book 5 isn't really out yet, but it's too late to reread them all now with it coming out tomorrow.

I tried to, but I failed. I'm not very good at rereading books when I have a whole bookshelf of new ones to finish.

I guess I could either take the time to reread the books and possibly get spoiled, or not bother and then not understand anything. I read the series in 2008, and considering how complicated it is my understanding of it was pretty shaky then.

message 2: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 113 comments I started rereading the books back in April thinking that I'd need that whole amount of time what with work and school. However, I ended up being finished with them by the middle of May (and that was with taking the fourth book extremely slow just to make it last a little bit longer). I forgot most of the plot lines, and, having only read the fourth book once, had forgotten most of that one altogether. I'm really glad I reread them.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments I only reread Game of Thrones and that was because of the series. I read Feast For Crows in the Spring so it is fairly fresh in my mind.

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) I just finished my re-read of the four books last week. I'm primed and ready to go.

message 5: by Tacuazin (new)

Tacuazin | 27 comments I re-started A Clash of Kings some days ago, and plan to finish books 3 and 4 before getting my hands on A Dance With Dragons. I don't care waiting a bit longer, if I have it all fresh in my mind. It's been too long since I read them for the first time.

message 6: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Hi, Rhea!

I haven't re-read the series, yet.. but I really want to before ADWD, whenever that happens.:)

message 7: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra I decided that the better decision is to reread them. I'm off until Thursday, so maybe I'll get through 2 out of 4 by then. *Crosses fingers*

Right now I'm on chapter 16 of the first book, and I'm amazed at how much the television show coloured how I viewed the characters. Television Sansa suffered horribly without her point of view, while I think Arya was better without it. I feel like in the book King Robert seems almost noble, while in the show he comes of as a clown. There is so much emphasis in the television show on how Robert can't rule that I don't see in the book yet.

For example, Ned and Robert argue about whether to name Robert Arryn Warden of the East. I think this is omitted from the television series or I don't remember it. In the book Robert says that the realm is too unstable to give control of a quarter of it to a child, while Ned says the title belongs to the boy. Giving Robert Arryn the title would have been a disaster.

message 8: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments I am a first time reader and I am almost done with A Feast for Crows... I might be a day or two behind with the 5th book. :) I am very excited!

message 9: by Maja (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments I bought my Nook copy of Dance of Dragons today.

message 11: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments I waited until 3 am last night to download it to my Kindle. I am still not finished with Crows, but I had to have it! :) Just so I know its there! :)

message 12: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 113 comments According to my Kindle, I'm 15% percent into the book. I got it at 1 am last night, read a little bit, and ended up falling asleep while reading. So far, it's pretty good!! It was hard to get into my head at first that this was going on at the same time as AFFC.

message 13: by Harry (new)

Harry Hunter (harryjan) | 1 comments I really wanted to; however I lean't the first 4 books to a friend aaagggeesss ago whose off at University right now so had no chance to get them back annoyingly.

Having last read Feast about 2 years ago I have defiantly struggled to remember all the details of where the characters ended up at the end of the book. This is not helped by points of view being mixed up; for example in Feast Sam ends with everything in Bravos..... but starts in Dance back at the wall.

message 14: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Great GRRM interview...

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2011/07/12/geor...

Hi, Maja-

Thank you very much!

message 15: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments Dustin wrote: "Great GRRM interview...

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2011/07/12/geor...

Hi, Maja-

Thank you very much!"

You are welcome! :)

message 16: by Dustin (new)

Dustin I am really looking forward to this interview, Maja. It should be interesting to kind of see things from GRRM's perspective, wouldn't you say?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments I read that interview. I found it really interesting.

message 18: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments I think the interview kind of gives you at least a little insight into a writers mind. Writing is not easy, but he does amazing job.
Also, I loved the fact that there are people out there that know the general ending to our dear characters, so if anything is ever to happen to him, I think HBO might be able to tell us...
I honestly think that he is better than Tolkien.

message 19: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments Oh, and I just finished Crows, starting Dragons today! :)

message 20: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I read that interview. I found it really interesting."

It's a good interview. One of the things I like about A Song of Ice and Fire is how much of a good guy Martin comes off as. Not having to separate your opinion of the book from your opinion of the author is nice.

I finished A Game of Thrones yesterday, and now I'm on to A Clash of Kings.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments My opinion of the books and opinion of the author are quite different actually.

message 22: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "My opinion of the books and opinion of the author are quite different actually."

I'm assuming it's the books you like, so that's too bad. :( I know a bunch of people don't like him very much, but he seems nice to me anyway.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments I just have a huge beef with the frequency in which his books are published. I know he has other projects he is working on. I think he is burning the candle at both ends when he has all these projects. I hope the next book doesn't take 6 years to come out. In his interview he said book 6 would come out next year pending no major disasters. I have not met him in person so I can't really say what he is like.

message 24: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments From what I read in his interview, he said some things I agree with and I think he is really cool.

The think that kind of confused me was the ending of the Crows where he said that the story got too big and he had to separate it into 2 books, but then it took him 6 years for the Dragons to come out... Which makes me think he didn't really write a looong story and had to separate it, but he wrote Crows first and then after that started writing Dragons...

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments I guess what I don't like about him is his time management. I just don't understand how it could take someone six years to write one book even if you do split it in two. I think he spends too much time second guessing himself.

message 26: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra He has a blog that's updated pretty regularly, if anyone doesn't already know about it.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/

message 27: by Mach (new)

Mach | 198 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "In his interview he said book 6 would come out next year pending no major disasters...."

What interview was that?

message 28: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Machavelli wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "In his interview he said book 6 would come out next year pending no major disasters...."

What interview was that?"

I don't know either. In the interview Dustin provided, he said he hopes to get Winds of Winter out before the TV show catches up. Depending on how they split up the books that's between 3 to 5 seasons.

message 29: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments I heard he said he will not start writing the book until next year, which means that the next book will not be ready for at least few years...

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments So basically it took him 15 years to write a series.

message 31: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) He writes in DOS. That kind of both blows my mind and irritates me.

message 32: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments All I want is for him to finish the series. I dont care if he plans to write 2 more or 12 more books, as long as he finishes and leaves us with some kind of ending... happy, sad... whatever, as long as its not open ended...

message 33: by Arianne (new)

Arianne  (biatchwithwifi) Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I just have a huge beef with the frequency in which his books are published. I know he has other projects he is working on. I think he is burning the candle at both ends when he has all these proje..."

Most of the fans are also concerned. He isn't getting any younger and he needs to take care of his health (he doesn't look fit to me; like he might suddenly drop because of aneurysm). A lot of people will be royally pissed/saddened if he died or something while the series has yet to come to an end.

message 34: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments At least HBO producers know the general ending for the main characters...

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments When I first saw his picture my instant thought was he looks like Santa. :)

message 36: by Arianne (new)

Arianne  (biatchwithwifi) Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "When I first saw his picture my instant thought was he looks like Santa. :)"

Hahaha. I thought so too. Imagined santa would look something like him while he's in the north pole making toys and stuff.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments GRRM is the fantasy Santa, sitting at a nice fire in front of his computer and yelling at his little elf assistants.

message 38: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Arianne wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I just have a huge beef with the frequency in which his books are published. I know he has other projects he is working on. I think he is burning the candle at both ..."

God willing, that will NOT happen any time soon..