Q&A with Eliot Pattison discussion

Welcome!

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eliot (new)

Eliot Pattison | 14 comments Mod
Welcome to the chat room and thanks for joining. Please take a moment to introduce yourself.

message 2: by Maxine (new)

Maxine | 1 comments Hi
I just received an invite to this group and had to join. I have only read one of your books, Ashes of the Earth: A Mystery of Post-Apocalyptic America. I enjoyed it and look forward to reading more. I was wondering if it was any different writing a mystery set in the future than in the past.

message 3: by Eliot (new)

Eliot Pattison | 14 comments Mod
Maxine--

Thanks for your interest. Ashes is my ninth novel and if you enjoyed you should try some of the others since they have a lot of themes in common--all of them feature people or peoples who have been outcast or abandoned by their society (in Ashes their society was destroyed) and who have to find their own form of justice when faced with crimes.

Writing Ashes was quite an adventure. On the one hand an author setting his book in the future has something of a blank slate to work with in terms of backdrop but the setting and story still have to have an air of authenticity to resonate with readers. I wanted some extrapolation of science but I didn't want it to be science fiction. I wanted to include some whimsical, unorthodox characters but did not want it to be fantasy. I am glad you enjoyed the endproduct.

Eliot