Outlander Series discussion

Archived > Jamie Fraser genes

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (Cristina_) | 38 comments I don't remember in which book it was but someone described Jamie as a "bloody man" meaning he was a warrior. The Highlands had - and still did in the 20th century - a proud reputation of raising strong, brave, and intelligent fighters. I read somewhere that the region produced an extraordinary number of officers in 2nd world war. Anyway, I was reading that in 1900, Simon Fraser, 14th Lord Lovat, formed the Scottish Highland Regiment called the Lovat Scouts. They were known for their hunting, tracking, and shooting prowess. They were the first known military unit to wear camouflage (Ghillie suit) and were the British army's first sniper unit. Their cap badge shows a Running Stag with the clan motto Je Suis Prest above the antlers.

Simon Fraser, 14th Lord Lovat, was the father of WW2 commando Simon Fraser, 15th Lord Lovat, and uncle of David Stirling who founded the British Special Air Services. The commando Lord Lovat commanded the 1st Special Service Brigade in 1944 and led his unit during D-Day in Normandy. He reportedly instructed his personal piper, Bill Millin, to pipe the commandos ashore, in defiance of specific orders not to allow such an action in battle. When Private Millin demurred, citing the regulations, he recalled later, Lord Lovat replied: “Ah, but that’s the English War Office. You and I are both Scottish, and that doesn’t apply.”

Btw, as I was typing this, I had a thought - didn't Claire work in a field hospital in France in 1944???? And she did say she nursed several Scottish soldiers?..

message 2: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments I guess we could say that the "apple didn't fall far from the tree" in Jamie's case.
Regarding Claire -- maybe there were some Frasers?

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments yep she did...I thought the guy who taught her the Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ curse was scottish...maybe

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 292 comments Wow, that is interesting for sure. More links between the times?

message 5: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (Cristina_) | 38 comments http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/20/wor...

Inspiring article about the Lord Lovat's piper...

message 6: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments Perhaps DG did more research for the Outlander series, than we know. It would make sense, though. Hate to write an historical novel and not have the history part right.

message 7: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments Clan Fraser has a website. Check out "The Old Fox" picture here. It's so funny. That's exactly how I picture him. The Fraser line does have their signature good looks and doesn't seem to fade over time. It's unbelievable! The height, the dark hair & dark eyes, I can imagine Jamie's dad, the Black Brian, probably looked somewhat like them.

http://www.clanfraser.org/clan-chiefs...

message 8: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments Cristina: What a great article! I find it amazing that is was the small things people did during WWII that helped to make it, for lack of a better word, more palatable. Although I must say that any war is not that.

Thanks for sharing.

message 9: by Teresita (new)

Teresita A | 531 comments Yes carren, I do recall Claire talking about nursing some scottish soldiers when she was speaking with Frank, before she went through the stones the first time. Right after Frank saw 'Jamie's ghost' outside their window and he wondered if that was someone she had nursed once.

message 10: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Wan, loved that link. Yes, that certainly puts a face to the Frasers!! Heck, I keep telling my daughter she needs to attend college in Scotland! At least she still has a chance to marry a Fraser or a Mcinsey. I assured her I'd go with her!

Cristina, I love the Scottish involvement in WWII. Great topic. The Scots do boast their involvement in many a successful events. Learning that Highlanders were bred to be strong, brave and intelligent warriors make their boasts believable. Love it!

message 11: by Fawn (new)

Fawn | 404 comments Cristina wrote: "http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/20/wor...

Inspiring article about the Lord Lovat's piper..."

Another great link Christina. Thanks for posting!

message 12: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (Cristina_) | 38 comments Fawn wrote: "Cristina wrote: "http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/20/wor...

Inspiring article about the Lord Lovat's piper..."

Another great link Christina. Thanks for posting!"

You're welcome! This is quickly becoming an all-consuming passion!

message 13: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments Ladyhawk wrote: "Wan, loved that link. Yes, that certainly puts a face to the Frasers!! Heck, I keep telling my daughter she needs to attend college in Scotland! At least she still has a chance to marry a Fraser or..."

Does she read Outlander? If so I'm sure, she'll go willingly. LOL.

message 14: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Not yet, she's a reader but to me, too young for O. In due time. But you're right. I expect once she does read it, she'll catch the bug like the rest of us. Haha