Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire discussion

Cedric Diggory-movie

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Juliet *SPOILERS*
I loved his character in the books, I cried when he died, but in the movie, he acted very different. Although I normally hate Robert Pattinson, I though he was good as Cedric. What I really hated in the movie was how they really focused on his popularity, not really his main characteristics, i.e., his kindness, humbleness, loyalty, friendliness. They didn't really show what kind of person he was, he seemed too shallow to me. At times you saw he was a good person, but it wasn't really emphasized on, like in the books.

Arti I think cause he acted in the movie i dont really like Cedric....

Alice Juliet wrote: "*SPOILERS*
I loved his character in the books, I cried when he died, but in the movie, he acted very different. Although I normally hate Robert Pattinson, I though he was good as Cedric. What I r..."

I think the movie made those attributes clear. Movie interpretations can't go into as much depth as the books.

Arti kinda....

Maggie The biggest problem with GOF the movie is how truncated everything was due to the limited running time. Most of Harry's interactions with Cedric just didn't make the cut. The film feels very flat and rushed to me. I miss the details of the book and the feelings from JKR's writing.

Arti I HATED HARRY AND RON'S HAIR!

Juliet Arti wrote: "I HATED HARRY AND RON'S HAIR!"

I KNOW!!!!!!!!

Arti IT WAS TOOOOO LONG!!!!!

Juliet YEP! WAYYYY TOO LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kerri I agree. The hair was a disaster!

message 11: by Kerri (last edited Jul 12, 2011 09:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kerri But more on the topic. I read the Twilight books because I found out that Robert Pattinson was going to play Edward (at the time I didn't know who Edward was, and was only curious about the Twilight series because everyone told my how wonderful they were), and since he played Cedric I thought the books couldn't be all that bad--with a Harry Potter connection.

Cedric is introduced in POA and only mentioned in the movie as being humble and fair in the quidditch match. In GOF he is still portrayed as humble when his dad tries to play up his abilities at the portkey, and he is fair when he helps out Harry with the egg clue (returned favor).

Cedric is a flat character in the books and in the movie, there is only one side to him (and it's a good side), but he dies to soon before the readers and viewers see him develop into anything else. I think even if he were to live he would still seem flat--always good: humble, fair, & kind.

I think Robert Pattinson is cuter as Cedric than Edward.

message 12: by Arti (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arti Kerri wrote: "I agree. The hair was a disaster!"

YES! IT WAS HORRIBLE!

Gissell Ramirez Maggie wrote: "The biggest problem with GOF the movie is how truncated everything was due to the limited running time. Most of Harry's interactions with Cedric just didn't make the cut. The film feels very flat..."

I couldn't agree more. This movie was really a disappointment for me. As you said, I felt it was really rushed into. The books are way better than the movies.

message 14: by Arti (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arti as always

message 15: by Trine (new) - added it

Trine Hahaha I think this is funny! GOF was actually my favourite movie (and book) even though a lot was cut out. As for Cedric I think he was not that important a character. I liked him a lot, but he just wasn't THAT important... Or at least that is was I thought :)
And as for Harry and Rons hair - I loved Harrys hair! I hated it in the fifth and sixth film because I thought it was too short, though I agree on Rons hair :)

message 16: by Arti (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arti NO! I HATE THEM WITH LONG HAIR! I like them soooo much better with short hair

Claudia Trine wrote: "Hahaha I think this is funny! GOF was actually my favourite movie (and book) even though a lot was cut out. As for Cedric I think he was not that important a character. I liked him a lot, but he ju..."
me to

message 18: by Arti (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arti LONG HAIR SUCLS!

message 19: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina If one is to discuss the hair, I thought, that Harry's long hair was more close to the books than the short. It was supposed to grow wild and fast (HP 1, chapter 2), like he never went to the barbers.

message 20: by Trine (new) - added it

Trine I agree with Dina :)

message 21: by Arti (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arti BUT THIS IS 4th year!!!!!!

Marina Fontaine Cedric as a character had "disposable" written on his forehead, both in the book and the movie. By definition, he's from the Hufflepuff house, the one that takes children who are not distinguished in any way. If you want to go a little deeper, he also represents a "common man," an innocent caught in the high-stakes game of good vs. evil (which of course is no place for innocents, hence his unceremonious death). Any way you look at it, this character is just a plot device, flat by design. I do think Robert Patinson did a good job with the material he had, unlike in Twilight.

Ciara I'm not a fan of Robert Pattinson either. I think Cedric is a wonderful character, and Robert portrayed him as best as he could.

message 24: by Ella (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ella I thought this was the start of sad books all #4,5,6,7 are sad