The Post Card Exchange discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rift (new)

Rift Vegan (riftvegan) | 432 comments Mod
It's July 2011 and it's time for something new and different!

Hello! I'm Rift, your new moderator. I'm interested in some snail mail! Are you?

I send out awesome postcards! If you'd like to be on the mailing list, please leave a message here, and I'll get your snail mail address privately. This is a "zero obligation" postcard... tho of course, we'd love to hear from you again!

In the near future, I'll be asking about a monthly postcard trade. I'm thinking something along the lines of poetry, book quotes, book recommendations or current reads... Write it on a postcard and send it! Anyone interested? Please hit the reply button!

Happy Mailing,
rift

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jamie_loves_libraries) Excellent news! I just got the beautiful ocean sunset card and had already sent one your way.

As for the group, I am in favor of a once-a-month exchange and if there are enough interested parties, perhaps we could rotate as a group? Poems are great but are tough to fit on a store-bought card, so I'd say even poem recommendations or musings or excerpts are good, or we could do away with the poetry focus altogether--either way is okay with me.

Thanks for taking on the group and its revival!

Jamie

message 3: by Aimee Dars (new)

Aimee Dars (aimeedars) I love the idea of a monthly exchange, too - I like the idea of anything goes messages or book quotes/recommendations.

Aimee

message 4: by Connie T. (new)

Connie T. | 61 comments Hi :)
I just joined and I'd love to get in on the action. The group's description says postcards, pen pals and mail art. Do we make our own cards? If they are store bought, do they have to have a bookish theme? A monthly exchange sounds great. I like the idea of keeping it related to books, reading, or creative expression in some way. I'm really looking forward to this.
Connie

message 5: by Rift (new)

Thanks so much for your thoughts, Jamie and Aimee! And Welcome to the group, Connie!

The new group description needs some, uh, fleshing out! ;) I just wanted to change the old description which said we were trading poetry on postcards every two weeks. Apparently, that did happen for a couple of member here, but not recently.

I do make my own postcards... but it's not going to be a requirement for any pc exchange here!! And "bookish themed", bought postcards would be awesome, but I've never seen any! *laughs* Postcards exchanged here should just be whatever you can find that appeals to you! It'll be your writing on the back that's important, after all!

Anyone else? Thoughts? Comments?

Happy Reading,
rift

message 6: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jamie_loves_libraries) I'm all for the freedom-to-send approach to this too.

How do we know whom we send one to each month?

message 7: by Rift (new)

Heya Jamie and all...
currently, it's just the 4 of us -- Jamie, Aimee Dars, Connie, and me/rift -- who are interested in a postcard exchange. I will come up with some rules and send-by dates, and post them soon. I'll also send out a new email blast to see if we can't get anyone else who wants to play.

In the past, this group sent out a pc to just one person (and rcvd a pc from one).

That is easy, and non-complicated!

But, since our group is small, there is a temptation to send to everyone on the list. aka, you would have "x" copies of the same postcard, with the same text, and send to all!

Is anyone interested in doing that?

If not, I'll keep it at the one-to-one. But addresses will change every month, so we can get to know all group members!

There will be a monthly theme, tho. I haven't quite decided what our first theme should be! :)

Happy PostCarding,
rift

message 8: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jamie_loves_libraries) Hi,
Since I already send out regular postcards to family/friends too, I'd appreciate one-to-one per month...

Thanks, Jamie

message 9: by Rift (new)

Heya Peoples! So sorry! I didn't mean to abandon you, right when we were just getting started! It's that dumb "real life" thing: always getting in the way. ;)

I am, right now, typing up our guidelines for the first postcard exchange. I do hope everyone is still interested!

Happy Weekend!
rift

message 10: by Connie T. (new)

Connie T. | 61 comments No worries. I have that same problem here: real life!

Looking forward to our first swap!
Connie

message 11: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jamie_loves_libraries) Yes...and thanks again for organizing it!

message 12: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Thank you for my welcome card! Looking forward to this months !

message 13: by MarielaBlu (new)

MarielaBlu (queenscove) Hi I'm new. After watching Julie and julia I starting thinking about penpals. In real life Julia had a penpal who she had been exxchanging letters with for years but had never met her. I found this really interesting so I want to try it. :)

message 14: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Hey Mariela! I love penpaling and postcard exchanges, hopefully you'll enjoy it too!! :)

message 15: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jamie_loves_libraries) Welcome Mareila, you're in good company here if you like (or love!) snail mail :-)

message 16: by Rift (new)

Mariela! Welcome. :)
I've not seen Julie and Julia... is the bit about the pen pal in the movie? Maybe I'll have to watch it!

message 17: by Cassie (last edited Jan 05, 2012 09:35AM) (new)

Cassie | 7 comments Hi everyone! Thanks to Rift's postcards and a few books on mail art I am quickly becoming obsessed with snail mail :) Excited to start participating with this group!

message 18: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 4 comments Happy New Year, everyone. When do we get to start sending post cards to people?

message 19: by Rift (new)

Welcome Rosemary! Happy New Year.

and, oops! got sick and certain responsibilities slipped my mind. Not to worry: drugs have kicked in and I'll have the signup organized here in a little bit. :)

If you're interested, Rosemary, go ahead and message me with your snail mail address.

message 20: by Connie T. (new)

Connie T. | 61 comments Happy New Year to all!

I hope you're feeling better soon, Rift. What a rotten way to start the year.

message 21: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 7 comments Hey everyone!

Sorry to hear that you're sick Rift :( Get better soon!!

message 22: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Gilliam (kuchikirukia) | 21 comments Hi,my names Elizabeth i'm new here, I heard about this website from someone on postcrossing they know I do a lot of reading and for the short time i've been here I really like this site and hope to meet more people. I also send out postcards on a regular basis but not to friends and family more like complete strangers who are not yet friends.

message 23: by Connie T. (new)

Connie T. | 61 comments Welcome, Elizabeth! Partners have already been assigned for the January swap but if you'll message me your addy, I'd be happy to send you a card. (That goes for anyone else who may also want a random card.) Have a happy Thursday, everyone!

message 24: by Ava Catherine (last edited Jun 19, 2012 09:25AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 197 comments Hi, I am Connie, and I think this is the neatest idea! I love this site and postcards! I live in the South (USA) and would love to exchange postcards with someone, if possible.

message 25: by mussolet (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 8 comments Hi, I'm Anne.
I'm a bit late for the July postcards, but I would love to join in for the next exchange :). I love to meet new people and find interesting things in my mailbox :).

message 26: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 197 comments Hi, Anne! Welcome to the group!

message 27: by mussolet (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 8 comments Connie wrote: "Hi, Anne! Welcome to the group!"

:) Thank you Connie.

message 28: by Ebonny (new)

Ebonny (paranormalbabydoll) | 52 comments Hi everyone, I am so excited by the idea of exchanging postcards! I think this is a fantastic idea and I would love to be a part of it. I am looking forward to participating in the August and future exchanges. :)

message 29: by Ebonny (new)

Ebonny (paranormalbabydoll) | 52 comments I just wanted to say thank you to Rift for my first postcard, it has brightened my day. Can't wait for the August exchange to get under way. :)

message 30: by Alča (new)

Alča (a-linka) | 4 comments Hi,
I am new in this group and I think it is an excellent idea :-) I would like to excange few postcards, count me in :-) I saw your list for August is closed now, can I join next month? I will sent you my adress :-)

message 31: by Robbie (new)

Robbie | 6 comments Hi I am new to the group and just missed the October deadline...please count me in next month for the postcard exchange. Thanks!

message 32: by HelenLee (new)

HelenLee | 8 comments hi, I just joined this group. can I get in the march trade? (should I ask in the other thread?)

Thanks!

message 33: by Ava Catherine (last edited Mar 10, 2013 05:31AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 197 comments Hi, HelenLee! I am so glad to see you in this group! ; ) You need to sign up for the March postcard in the March thread, too.

message 34: by HelenLee (new)

HelenLee | 8 comments Yes, I have done so, Connie :)

message 35: by Paula (new)

Paula (diefmosis) | 12 comments Hello :) I'm new, You are my first GR group! Sounds like it could be lots of fun, so am looking forward to the April exchange :)

message 36: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 197 comments Paula, welcome to the group! It is so much fun! : )

message 37: by Paula (new)

Paula (diefmosis) | 12 comments Thank you Connie, I'm looking forward to taking part :)

message 38: by Hasan (new)

Hasan (Kuwaitum) | 7 comments Hi everyone, I'm Hasan from Kuwait.
This is my first time in GR & first group too.
I am looking forward for the next exchange, I hope it will be a success and I also hope I won't disappoint you :)

message 39: by mindy (new)

mindy (mindyapple) | 2 comments hi, i am from VA, this is my first GR group. looking fwd to the april exchange :)

message 40: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 197 comments Welcome to the group, Hasan and Mindy. Exchanging postcards is lots of fun. ; ) We are glad to have you join us!

message 41: by Diane (new)

Diane | 8 comments Hi!
I just joined the group, and I guess we'll see how this goes. Is there a certain place I'm supposed to put my address so that whoever sends to me knows where to send?
Thanks!

message 42: by Nic (new)

Nic Parenteau (chebreva) | 2 comments Hi,
I would also like to know how this works.
Thanks!

message 43: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (shelld79) I'm new to this group and love this idea. I miss receiving snail mail so much....
I'd love to know what we have to do to participate?

message 44: by Mimai (new)

Mimai (chrrrmaine) | 10 comments Hi! Also new here and I would really like to join. :)

message 45: by Connie T. (new)

Connie T. | 61 comments Welcome to all the new members! Each month there is an exchange. If you are interested in participating, just comment on that month's sign-up thread. Right now sign-ups are being taken for June. (You have until Friday, June 14 to sign up.) A short time thereafter Rift will send an email to all the participants, telling them who their swap partners are & the address where to send their card. Happy swapping!

message 46: by Faith (new)

Faith | 1 comments I would love to be part of this! So bummed I missed this months exchange. Please let me part of next months!

message 47: by Jayme (new)

Jayme I just found your group and am looking forward to August's exchange. How does the moderator get our addresses?

message 48: by Ava Catherine (last edited Aug 04, 2013 10:29PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 197 comments Welcome to the group, Jayme and Faith!

message 49: by Mary (new)

Mary Hi everyone, I just joined this group and it looks really neat. I can't wait to start exchanging postcards!

message 50: by Amber (new)

Amber | 1 comments Hello! I found this group through a friend on swap bot! Can't wait to get started!!

« previous 1