H.G. Wells discussion

Group reads > The Food of the Gods - July Discussion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ivan (new)

Ivan I thought this was one of the masters best efforts - especially the first sections - thrilling.

message 2: by Ivan (new)

Ivan In total agreement. Hey, "The Novella Club" (another group I'm in) is reading "The Invisible Man" - you should pop over and join the conversation Steve.

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin (trochus) | 1 comments I haven't read this since about 1979 or 1981 or something. I remember liking it, but it wasn't on a par with War of the Worlds, or my favourite, The Time Machine. I think John Wyndham was very influenced by Wells. I haven't read that anywhere, just my opinion after having read quite a bit of both. There's a quaint everyday feel about their people who find themselves in very unusual circumstances.

message 4: by Ivan (new)

Ivan I see the Wells influence. Loved The Midwich Cuckoos and The Day of the Triffids. I found "Food of the Gods" enormously entertaining, but I agree it's not on a par with those you mentioned or "Invisible Man" and "Island of Doctor Moreau."

message 5: by Ivan (new)

Ivan There are quite a few members (maybe over 100) but a small core who actually contribute and discuss. I'm having a good time with it.