A History of Royals discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive - Group Reads > Nominations for August/September Group Read

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Loupas (elizabethloupas) | 7 comments THE RINGED CASTLE by Dorothy Dunnett. Set in the time of Tsar Ivan IV "The Terrible," who plays a major role in the narrative along with his various consorts and his court. One of the Lymond books, but can be read as a standalone.

message 3: by Daisy (last edited Jul 10, 2011 05:02PM) (new)

Daisy  | 4 comments I nominate The True Memoirs of Little K: A Novel by Adrienne Sharp. It's fiction. Or is it...?

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine I nominate Catherine the Great: Love, Sex, and Power and Nicholas and Alexandra. I did pick these from the group's bookshelf so if they are not eligible for nominating, please ignore.

message 5: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (last edited Jul 10, 2011 07:45PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 1550 comments Mod
Thanks for the nominations.

@Daisy - I have a friend who just finished that book and heard it was good.

@Christine - Although some of our members have read those on their own, they have not been used for a group read, so they are definitely eligible.

My nominations are:

Terrible Tsarinas: Five Russian Women in Power by Henri Troyat
The Last Tsar: The Life and Death of Nicholas II by Edvard Radzinsky

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 227 comments Damn! Massie's bio of Catherine the Great isn't out until November, or else I'd nominate it.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Stockard Miller (michelleamiller) | 6 comments I second Catherine the Great: Love, Sex, and Power, as I've had it on my TBR shelf for quite some time.

message 8: by Donna (new)

Donna (ljldml) | 14 comments MICHAEL AND NATASHA by ROSEMARY CRAWFORD

message 9: by Donna (new)

Donna (ljldml) | 14 comments MOST BEAUTIFUL PRINCESS by CHRISTINA CROFT

message 10: by Lois (new)

Lois (loisbennett) I second The True Memoirs of Little K: A Novel - it sounds fantastic!

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (januarybaby) The Ringed Castle would be my first choice, followed by Nicholas and Alexandra.

message 12: by Daisy (new)

Daisy  | 4 comments I second Terrible Tsarinas: Five Russian Women in Power for some non-fiction.

message 14: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Thanks for the nominations, there are some really interesting looking books here.

Susanna - I agree, too bad Massie's bio isn't out yet!

Victoria_Grossack Grossack (victoriagrossack) | 12 comments I know it's too late to nominate, but may I ask that you make sure that whatever is chosen is available electronically? And that it is not extremely long? I enjoy the occasional long book but I'm not sure that I can fit it in with my other reading.

message 16: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Victoria_Grossack wrote: "I know it's too late to nominate, but may I ask that you make sure that whatever is chosen is available electronically? And that it is not extremely long? I enjoy the occasional long book but I'm..."

Victoria - It is not too late to nominate. Nominations are open until this Sunday, July 17th, so feel free to nominate.

As for your other request, unfortunately the final choice is made by voting on a poll by all interested memebers. The mods have no influence other than we get to cast one vote. Sorry :( BUT if you nominate a book that fits your criteria, it may win the poll!

Victoria_Grossack Grossack (victoriagrossack) | 12 comments I obviously need to learn how to read a calendar better! The older I get, the more days and dates seem to merge together.

message 18: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Victoria_Grossack wrote: "I obviously need to learn how to read a calendar better! The older I get, the more days and dates seem to merge together."

I totally know what you mean, Victoria. I have the same problem a lot of the time, lol.

message 19: by Barbara (last edited Jul 13, 2011 05:21PM) (new)

Barbara (barbarasc) | 3 comments I found a few to add to the nominations.

The Jewel of St. Petersburg

Catherine the Great

The Romanovs: the Final Chapter

I really would prefer a historical-fiction as opposed to a non-fiction, but I will be happy with whatever the group chooses.

If I was only supposed to nominate two books, then I'll just go with the first two on this list.

THANKS!!!
~Barbara

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 227 comments I'd like to nominate The Romanovs: the Final Chapter, in that case.

message 21: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Barbara wrote: "I found a few to add to the nominations.

Catherine the Great

I really would prefe..."

Thanks for the nominations, Barbara. We do usually stop a two, but Susanna has nominated your third book, so it is all good, lol. Just a word, though. The Jewel of St. Petersburg, looks to be about fictional characters and we usually try to keep our fictional nominations to books about actual historical figures unless it is the Mythology or Folklore categories. I couldn't really tell from the description, so I am including it anyway, but just be aware for future nominations.

message 22: by Brett (new)

message 23: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (goodreadscomshirleyec) | 57 comments Lyn M wrote: "Barbara wrote: "I found a few to add to the nominations.

Catherine the Great

Lyn, you are so awesome, so in control. I love it.
:-)

I really wou..."

message 24: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbarasc) | 3 comments Lyn M wrote: "Barbara wrote: "I found a few to add to the nominations.

Catherine the Great

I really wou..."

Hi Lyn! I didn't even realize The Jewel of St. Petersburg is about fictional characters. I saw it on Goodreads and it looked great, but for some reason I thought it was based on real people!! (And I was wondering why more people weren't nominating this book, so now I know!!!)

Sorry about that!!! I'll read the book descriptions more carefully from now on. (I'm in the middle of working on a deadline for work, so my brain has been all over the place!!)

THANKS LYN!!!
~Barbara

message 25: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Barbara wrote: "Lyn M wrote: "Barbara wrote: "I found a few to add to the nominations.

Catherine the Great

[book:The Romanovs: the Final Chapter|1..."

No worries, Barbara. Sometimes it is so hard to tell, lol.

message 26: by Christine (new)

Christine FYI-I was reviewing the list (in prep for the voting) and I noticed that the prices are not necessarily accurate when you look at the Pricing Comparison link. For example The True Memoirs of Little K: A Novel Kindle edition shows up as 24.99 on the Goodreads page but on Amazon is actually 11.99 (same as the other e book sites). Not sure if anyone uses this goodreads option but it isn't always accurate-that's not to say it isn't helpful though!

message 27: by April (new)

April | 42 comments I want to nominate Peter the Great: His Life and World.

message 28: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Thanks April, unfortunately, the nominations ended yesterday. There is currently a poll to vote for the book we are going to choose from the nominations above.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.